Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

All my notepads on my desktop disappeared

I was talking to my wife . my nephew called 1000 miles away said here is my new email i wrote it down in my notepad on my desktop saved it . i went too the restroom then got a glass of tea came back too email some family pics.. and all my notepads are GONE all of them i had 8 notepads with sites . mp3 emails address's my jobs address job phone ect ect ... i did a scan norton no virus .. did lavasoft adware scan ect none. did a system restore back one day no luck .. did another system restore 2....3 days back no luck ... i need my notepads back . some has passwords. all my other icons are still thier just all 8 txt notepads are gone . did a trojan search spyware doctor nothing !

p.s my wife has never touched a comp in her life. she was behind me going to eat. lol

i used a undelete program TuneUp Utilities 2006 no luck did a search for the name of the notepads no luck

any help will be most honnored with any help..

P.S I did not do no desktop clean up i have it turned off ~~

brand new just had this one going for 3 weeks
i have windows xp h/p a807 w s/p 2 amd athlon 64 processor 3200+ 2.20 ghz 1 gig ram

my first computer problem in 6 years .

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: All my notepads on my desktop disappeared
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: All my notepads on my desktop disappeared
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Search again...

In reply to: All my notepads on my desktop disappeared

....for all files named *.txt, or have you done that already ?

Look in the Recycle Bin....
Look in the 'Recent Folder...

Is the Notepad program still there ? Are you referring to the Windows' Notepad ?

Collapse -
all notepads on desktop gone

In reply to: Search again...

Papa Echo

I did it all just got off the phone with h/p dumb as a box of rocks .. didnt get me no where only thing he wanted to do was sell sell sell ??

yes Windows' Notepad

the Notepad program is still thier i made another one added data reboot and still thier all my notepads are in my documents . other folders just the desktop note pads are gone i had them 2 in a row going down on the right hand side of the screen 8 in all ..

Look in the Recycle Bin....did it all
Look in the 'Recent Folder... did it all

thanks for the reply

Collapse -
Re: all notepads on desktop gone

In reply to: all notepads on desktop gone

amlostinspace, This is just a WAG but do a file and folder search for desktop which will probably bring up 3 folders All users,default user, and owner (which would be your name) and see if your Notepad files are in any of those folders. Also make sure that you have Show hidden files and folders selected in Folder Options>View tab. Sometimes weird things happen. It's worth a try.

Tufenuf

Collapse -
Have you searched for...

In reply to: all notepads on desktop gone

...*.txt ?

(Start>Search>all files and folder>All or part of file name: *.txt

Try also: Right click Desktop>Arrange Icons By:......
check.uncheck "show desktop icons",but finally check show desktop icons. check/uncheck the others.....

Collapse -
amlostinspace, I put all that information in 2 places

In reply to: All my notepads on my desktop disappeared

Anything could go wrong, power outage, computer crash so I have taken measures to prevent this from happening. I put the information on a floppy and I also have printouts of all my data so very little is lost. I have two floppies with sites listed and all my addresses are printed out and aanother page of my email addresses. And I have the same from a year ago and though I no longer using rootsweb.com & other genealogical emails, they are also printed outwith person's first name and letter of last name (or two) with their email addresses.
Was in your shoes a long time ago and that is when I started creating backups, have some info on yahoo.com (2 addresses) and hotmail.com. One yahoo.com has bookmarks of all my sites because I had four addresses at aol.com and two went bad and lost a lot from that. Sound files I burn to ensure that they are not lost, I have 30 CD-R's that has survived three computers for they were not in the machine. Machines are fallible.
Darrell Lewis

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.