The CNET Lounge forum

General discussion

All my Firefox config/bookmarks/etc were just erased.

I have no idea why. The computer locked up, I restarted, and now Firefox is completely blank.

I hate. Technology. So much.

Anyone know where Firefox stores all the config data? Maybe its still there...

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: All my Firefox config/bookmarks/etc were just erased.
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: All my Firefox config/bookmarks/etc were just erased.
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
possible location

In reply to: All my Firefox config/bookmarks/etc were just erased.

Jasmes,

I have a feeling you are using a PC but maybe the same information will apply.

On the Mac, I found bookmark data in the following directory:

Firefox > Profiles> qmai3f7g.default> bookmarkbackups

I assume that qmai3f7g.default folder is unique to me so yours will likely be different. Just look for the bookmarksbackup folder. It seems to make a file for each day you log on. So even if the one for today got hosed, you may be able to rename a previous one with the current date and trick it. Don't really know for sure.

-Kevin

Collapse -
Firefox config data

It should all be here

C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\defaults\profile

But if it's disappeared there may be replications of it elsewhere as Ma chugger said.

Collapse -
Bookmarks.html...

It shouldn't have happened, but the blade of technology does often have two sharp edges. All of your data, including bookmarks, history, cache, settings, extensions, etc are stored in the Firefox profile. You'll want to look for the file bookmarks.html in the following locations:

In Windows 2000/XP:
local drive:\Documents and Settings\username\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\random characters.default

In Windows 95/98/ME:
local drive:\WINDOWS\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\random characters.default\

In Mac OS X:
~/Library/Application Support/Firefox/Profiles/random characters.default/

* Note: Random characters are used as a security precaution...reasoning is if there is no exact location where the information is stored it would be harder for a program to find it on your computer.

* When you find the bookmarks.html files, double-click it and it will display all of your favorites. If the list only contains the default bookmarks, you're out of luck...they're all gone.

I'd recommend downloading the extension Bookmark Backup, which will backup your bookmarks daily, adding Sun, Mon, Tue, etc to the file name. Then, if something ever happens to your bookmark file, you can simply remove the Sun, Mon, etc and instantly have your bookmarks restored. You can also backup your entire folder if you want by copying it and pasting it to another location so that you won't lose your entensions, preferences, etc either.

Hope this helps,
John

Collapse -
That's good info

In reply to: Bookmarks.html...

Much more detailed than what I threw out there. But it's got me wondering now. I don't have the random characters in my folder names. I wonder why.

Collapse -
Thanks!

In reply to: Bookmarks.html...

I dug up the folder you indicated for WinXP and strangely, the bookmark html file in the root of that folder was blank, but then I found a boomark backup folder with daily bookmark archives... even though I don't have a bookmark backup extension like you mentioned. I was able to restore my bookmarks, and all is well.

Maybe this backup feature is built into Firefox 1.5 now?

Collapse -
backup by default

In reply to: Thanks!

As with Jasmes, I also found that folder with the backups of my bookmarks and I never downloaded any additions to Firefox.

Again, I'm using it on a Mac but it sounds like this feature works cross-platform.

-Kevin

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

DEALS, DEALS, DEALS!

Best Black Friday Deals

CNET editors are busy culling the list and highlighting what we think are the best deals out there this holiday season.