Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

All my files are gone, i have no idea!

by sl2obel2ts / December 12, 2006 4:36 PM PST

I considered myself a computer expert as I have dealt with computer for more than 10 years... but today I basically lost all data in 160gb hdd. I use windows xp professional edition.

The HDD still shows that it still has 120gb of use and 40gb of free space, however, i cant see any files using windows. I have tried temp unhind everything and stuff, still no luck. this same thing happened to my psp memory stick duo.

Any idea?!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: All my files are gone, i have no idea!
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: All my files are gone, i have no idea!
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
If your OS is still working,
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / December 12, 2006 8:32 PM PST

then all the files must still be there.

Give us more information. Using Windows Explorer, what files are not being displayed? Windows folder and every sub-folder inside? My Documents and everything inside? Are folders still being displayed?

Are all file types not being displayed, or just some?

Have you hidden any specific files recently, and then used Windows Explorer, Tools > Folder Options > View tab to set all folders the same?

What do you use to protect yourself against viruses, trojans and spyware?

Mark

Collapse -
sorry was away but here is more info
by sl2obel2ts / December 14, 2006 5:12 AM PST

memory stick doesnt work on any computer same situation as my computer.

i have 3 hdds
40gb for windows
120 for my documents
80 for storage purposes

120gb one is lost with 40gb open space and 120 already used. the files must be there i know it. index file is broken? I dont know.

No files are being displaced, I cant even write anything on that disc anymore. I use something called ViScan as my virus scanning software, which is a private korean company software. It worked pretty well and I liked it.

I tried using a software to get the data back, and I got the important files except a few. I formatted that drive and put files back into the hdd. and Boom! happened again only to that drive. What is wrong with my computer?

Collapse -
Be prepared for the worse.
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / December 14, 2006 5:48 AM PST

It could be that that hard disk is about to fail. It may already have failed.

It's a good job you got most of those files off and backed up.

Mark

Collapse -
More information...
by Papa Echo / December 12, 2006 11:16 PM PST

...try your psp memory stick duo on another computer - files still missing ? Is the HD concerned a System disk ? Are you able to launch an application, and open a file from within (File menu>open and browse to the file).

Collapse -
more details please
by linkit / December 12, 2006 11:22 PM PST

Is this the 'C' drive that has XP installed on it, or is it a secondary drive used for storage (either inside the computer box or external)?

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

The Samsung RF23M8090SG

One of the best French door fridges we've tested

A good-looking fridge with useful features like an auto-filling water pitcher and a temperature-adjustable "FlexZone" drawer. It was a near-flawless performer in our cooling tests.