HolidayBuyer's Guide

Peripherals forum

General discussion

All-in-one that also prints on CD/DVD?

by SwingsetAbby / October 9, 2007 6:32 AM PDT

I've searched high and low for an all-in-one inkjet printer/copier/scanner/fax that will also print directly onto CD/DVD media. It would be even nicer to find one that I could hook into my wireless network. I've found several that were close, but lacked one element -- usually the fax or the print-onto-CD capability. Does anyone know if such an animal exists? And if so, where I can find it?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: All-in-one that also prints on CD/DVD?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: All-in-one that also prints on CD/DVD?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
All in one printer
by bucca / October 12, 2007 10:51 AM PDT

At least one - the Canon Pixma 830 - will do the job for you.
I'm in Australia and use an older Canon Pixma 4200 and have printed DVDs and CDs without a problem for 2 years and with outstanding results.
I'd have no hesitation in suggesting you get one.
Strangely, the CD/DVD printin is often never mentioned. I had exavtly this problem when I was looking myself. After searching, I found ONE reference that the 4200 printed disks so I went ahead and bought it.
I found an MP830 at ebay australia (Buy It Now AU$437)
http://tinyurl.com/3bbrvu

and at ebay, US (12 hours to go, US$165.00}
http://tinyurl.com/2rort4

You shouldn't have any trouble locating one wherever you are.
Good luck!

Collapse -
Just found this...
by bucca / October 12, 2007 1:21 PM PDT
In reply to: All in one printer
Collapse -
US version of Canon 4200i needs modification for CDs
by daver / October 13, 2007 12:20 AM PDT

It doesn't come with the CD/DVD tray and it needs a firmware upgrade - often sold as a package on eBay. It's easy to upgrade.

The US manual in fact doesn't even mention the capability. I heard that printer companies were threatened a lawsuit by the RIAA if they sold CD/DVD printing printers in the US for retail customers. Think about that next time you support the RIAA by buying a CD produced by the recording industry instead of an independent label owned by the artist or a consortium of artists.

Collapse -
Modifying the MP830
by bucca / October 13, 2007 7:57 AM PDT

My ip4200 is a straight printer. But is the MP830 modifiable too?
And couldn't agree with you more re the indy cd's!

Collapse -
All-inone
by RangerOne / October 14, 2007 3:53 AM PDT

I to was looking for a All in one printer. I have been using a Hp 4 scanner that is to large for my new space. I have a Hp photosmart C5280 All -in- One Printer, Scanner, Copier, I use Talkworks PRo for Faxing works well. The Cd/DVD printer part works fine and I am using it to make labels on my DVD collection with no problem. Good on ink Vivera hp ink, price for the ink in cheep compared with the other printer I have.
Hope this helps
Ranger
Buffalo, New York

Collapse -
Epson All-in-One
by lpholmes1 / October 16, 2007 4:16 AM PDT

Epson makes a All-in-One printer that prints on CD/DVD. The Epson RX585 Ultra High-Definition All-in-One Multifunction Photo Printer, Scanner and Copier takes your creativity to the next level by adding style and flair to all your photo projects. A 2.5" Color LCD let's you view, select, crop and enlarge photos without the use of a computer. You can even print photos directly from your Bluetooth compatible phone. The RX595 prints 4x6" photos in as fast as 11 seconds or text documents at speeds up to 38 ppm. With the RX595, you can even create personalized greeting cards for holidays and special occasions. This All-in-One gives you the freedom and flexibility to print images and text directly onto Inkjet printable CDs and DVDs. transfer files from your Memory card to your computer or Archive documents and photos with the built-in scan-to-PDF feature.

Collapse -
Incorrect, I'm afraid.
by bucca / October 16, 2007 8:53 AM PDT
In reply to: Epson All-in-One

Reading the original post, the unit needs to be able to Fax. The Epson RX585 doesn't.

Collapse -
Also looking for printer/scanner/fax/cd & dvd printer
by tomtedbear / December 2, 2007 2:44 PM PST
In reply to: Epson All-in-One

I'm also looking for a all-in-one that prints, faxes, scans, and prints printable cd's and dvd's. None of those mentioned above seem to pan out. The Canons either don't fax or print cd lables. Does this machine exist? I'm looking forward for a Christmas present.

Collapse -
Did you read all the posts?
by bucca / December 3, 2007 5:56 AM PST

I'm in Australia and, as I posted earlier, the Canon 830 WILL fax and print CD and DVd disks.
But, as posted by Daver, in the US a modification kit is needed.
Both the Canon MP780 and MP830 (and maybe others - you can check that yourself) will handle faxes. A CD/DVD disk-printing kit for either is available at ebay for $28.50.

Copy and paste this link which will take you to ebay where seller annocjr in the US has 17 listings for various Canon kits...

http://search.ebay.com/_W0QQsassZannocjr

Over to you!
Regards
bucca

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

HOLIDAY GIFT GUIDE 2017

Cameras that make great holiday gifts

Let them start the new year with a step up in photo and video quality from a phone.