Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

All in One Printers

I want to buy one and am unsure of what to buy.

I'm looking at HP's.

Can anyone help me out with recommendations.

Thanks.

Dorothy

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: All in One Printers
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: All in One Printers
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Bad comments

In reply to: All in One Printers

Have heard some bad comments about HP so I tried Epson and have been pleased. their place is www.epson.com

Collapse -
HP

I have a HP officeJetLX printer - its sitting collecting dust - why, because it wont work with winXP - Why!, because HP had the fax software written under contract by someone else and virtually never updated it. I have bought many HP products as I worked in research for many years and found them to be penny pincher's and their aftercare support costly and bureaucratic. They also seem to have a shorter support life for many of their products. - in short you are paying for the name. Another issue is the cost of ink - I have two other canon printers and the replacement ink is a lot cheaper than the HP - the price of ink and holding cartridge is a serious consideration and can be nearly the price of the printer in some cases.
Regards,
Peter

Collapse -
Avoid HP and Lexmark

HP has some of the worst drivers and other software that you can imagine. The hardware's usually great, you just can't use it because the controlling software is so awful.

Lexmark has rapidly gone downhill since being spun off from IBM. I would have reservations about buying anything from them. In college I had a Lexmark inkjet printer. Left it in my dorm over Christmas, unplugged I might add. Came back to find that it wouldn't work when I plugged it back in. This is a pretty common story believe it or not. You should also avoid Dell branded printers, since they're rebadged Lexmark's.

And personally, I would avoid getting an all-in-one unit. Sure they take up less space than a printer and scanner, but should something go wrong (and they frequently do), you have to replace the entire unit (or send it off to be repaired). With a more modular setup, if the scanner dies, you can still print, or still scan if the printer dies. You can also replace one or the other with a higher quality one with relative ease down the road if you develop a passion for digital photography or something. IMO, it's worth the minor added expense. Think of it like insurance.

Collapse -
(NT) ALL IN ONE

I FOUND AN ALL IN ONE AT COSTCO.COM. IT IS A PHOTO SMART, FAX,SCANNER AND COPIER ALL IN ONE.IT IS MADE BY HEWLET PACKARD AND THE MODEL IS PSC2610xi.
THE PRICE IS $204 AFTER A DISCOUNT OF $25. IT CAN ALSO BE PURCHASED AT THE STORE. THE OFFER EXPIRES ON SUNDAY.
I CHECKED IT OUT ONLINE AND IT GOT GOOD REVIEWS.
I THINK IT IS PERFECT FOR ME. I COMPARED PRICES FOR IT ONLINE AT BEST BUY AND WALMART AND IT WAS A BETTER DEAL BY FAR.
I SOUND LIKE A COMMERCIAL Happy
GOOD LUCK IN YOUR SEARCH, MARY

Collapse -
HP or Lexmark

In reply to: (NT) ALL IN ONE

I have a HP psc 1315 all in one for a year now and have not had one thing go wrong. It installed easy and scans, prints and copies photos pefectly. They look really good. And it was less than $100. My brother has a Lexmark x2250 and he says he hasn't had a problem either. Also less than $100. He's had it for 4 months or so. So, some will tell you HP and Lexmark suck and I'm here to tell you of two models that don't. For what it's worth.

Collapse -
about 1315

I have one that dosen't scan colors correctly. It was replaced by HP with the same results. My old Hp 5200c scanner did a perfect job of scanning photos.

Collapse -
All in One Printers

I found myself nodding along with each reply you have gotten! There are horror stories about everybodies equipment. I have a Lexmark X5150-printer-scanner-fax
-copier, and it is working fine after three years of home usage. The ONLY ***** I have is that, just like Gillette,
they kind of "give" you the razor and then rape you on blade prices! Cartridges for the Lexmark are $35 each,
and you need two (color and black). The only things that saved me are that I have bought refill kits from CarrotInk.com for under $20 ea. and they give me four or five refills each. I am still using the original cartridges. The other saving grace is that I havn't flogged the crap out of the machine. It's only home usage. Would I buy another one? I don't think so. I bought my daughter a Canon printer-copier-scanner
which was a snap to set up and uses much cheaper cartridges. So far, so good! You pays your money and you takes your choice! Good Luck!

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.