Laptops forum

General discussion

Alienware Vs. Dell

by drklm2 / March 20, 2006 12:26 PM PST

Which brand should i pick considering i want a notebook that can function really well while playing games as well as doing other mutimedia stuff?
i am thinking that i want alienware more then dell. so if you could help me decide it would be great!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Alienware Vs. Dell
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Alienware Vs. Dell
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Forget Alienware please !!!!
by Ghost26-20878886633866019035262628200812 / March 20, 2006 7:32 PM PST
In reply to: Alienware Vs. Dell

They have the poorest after sale service. Dell is fine and take a look also to the HP Pavilion dv4000 or the Hp Pavilion dv50000t. The dv4000 has a powerful ATi Mobility Radeon X700 and the dv50000t has a wonderful nVIDIA nforce 4 graphic chipset with a GeForce Go 7800 graphic controller. Very nice to play games.

Collapse -
Unfortunately, the Dv4000 no longer comes with
by togus / March 20, 2006 7:51 PM PST

the X700 GPU, in fact today the HP web site only shows it to me available with Intel graphics...HP must have a new model about to launch that has the more powerful graphics package because they now only offer the ATI 200m.

Alienware... you'd be wise to do a search on this forum Alienware before buying one...lots of horrorshows out here about Alienware support (and although I'm not a Dell fan, their high end machine will do all you want for a lot less dough).

Collapse -
Get a Dell
by jgvillan / March 21, 2006 5:49 AM PST

To make this simple...if you want to have an incredible gaming laptop, with tons of cash to burn, get the Alienware. If you want to save some money, and still have a very, VERY good laptop for gaming, get a Dell XPS2.

It just comes down to how much are you willing to spend on.

Collapse -
hmmm...
by drklm2 / March 21, 2006 9:00 AM PST
In reply to: Get a Dell

i think that the money factor is really important becuase i was looking and the xps notebooks seem to be less then the alienware. but on the other hand the alienware notebook you can have a 3.8 ghz pentium 4 processor with ht instead of the 2.6 ghz for the xps with the pentium m. the only other difference is the dual hard drives, dual dvd rw drives and the 3gb of ram instead of only 2. which funtions better? also which proccessor work better also because you can either get the intel or the amd? also has dell bought alienware because their web pages look strikingly alike? hmmmm... also what is better nvidia or ati?

Collapse -
Better off with a Dell
by jgvillan / March 21, 2006 10:42 AM PST
In reply to: hmmm...

Yes, Alienware does have P4, however its a desktop version. Dell now offers laptops with the Intel Duo processors. Which, in theory, will process more efficiently than the P4. with that in mind, should be better off in terms of gaming. Also, the Intel Duo is better (battery wise = 3+Hrs) as the P4 is a power hog and thus your laptop will not survive beyond 1.5 hours of battery power.

If you are really interested in dual hard drives, I would say don't waste your money on that. Just order one with a large primary hard drive. (Less things to fail if you run into an issue.)

In terms of performace, its a toss up now if you want either Intel or AMD. Intel Duo or (in May) AMD Turion 64 x2. But Dell only has Intel Procs.

Both Dell and Alienware has Dual DVD burners, so the choice is yours.

No, Dell did not buy out Alienware.

In my experience, for todays graphical cards, I go with NVidia. NVidia process 3D better for smoother animation. ATI seems to look alittle 'fuzzy'.

Hope that this help.

Collapse -
Thanks!
by drklm2 / March 22, 2006 5:24 PM PST
In reply to: Better off with a Dell

thanks everybody! you guys have convinced me and i have decided to go with the dell. xps2 i think. i also want to get one of those finger print bimetric lockouts that fit in the pci slot so if you have any favorites or comments please reply. But thanks again for everything! I'M GETTIN' A DELL!

Collapse -
I take that back, Dell is buying Alienware
by jgvillan / March 23, 2006 5:38 AM PST

Just read an article..http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/dell_alienware_dc, today that Dell is buying out Alienware so that Dell can get into the gaming market. However, theye will leave Alienware as it is, for now, but they are being bought out.

Collapse -
AMD PROCESSORS
by Roy W King / March 25, 2006 7:07 AM PST

Reading on this site and the Tom's Hardware site it has been proven without a doubt that AMD processors are above and beyond anything Intell has. Dell only uses intell and has bought alienware to sell products with AMD processor

Collapse -
P-Ms rated at 2.6 will run rings around a P4 rated
by togus / March 21, 2006 12:12 PM PST
In reply to: hmmm...

at 3.8. A P-M's rating should be multiplied by about 1.6 to get the equivilant in a P4. P-4's run hot, consume lots of power and generally suck as notebook processors.

Collapse -
Dell all the way
by Jonnodude / March 21, 2006 5:40 PM PST

The dell xps m170 is better all round than the alienware and cheaper too.
Also the XPS comes with its own support section dedicated to XPS users.
I'm getting a dell very soon and i cant wait ^_^

Collapse -
XPS RENIGADE
by drklm2 / March 22, 2006 6:32 PM PST

hey you people who love dell. i am assuming that you have already seen the new XPS renigade. that looks ******* awesome. well i suggest that you sign up to be posted about the drawing for one of the two they are giving away april tenth. i signed up and I WILL WIN! i have to beleive it for it to come true. fingers crossed.

Collapse -
Alienware vs anything else == anything else
by nino88 / March 22, 2006 8:05 PM PST
In reply to: XPS RENIGADE

I'm not a Dell lover but I'd go with Dell rather than Alienware. That's the worst $3000 I've ever spent. Not the notebook but the customer service's quality is just a joke.

Collapse -
HP all the way!!
by cop284 / March 24, 2006 8:39 AM PST

Have had about 10 laptops thru the years and have to say, HP is best. No doubt. No problems, Customer?tech support are fast and effecient.

Collapse -
HP Products
by Roy W King / March 25, 2006 7:17 AM PST
In reply to: HP all the way!!

I sure agree with you - wifes has all HP - desktop - printer etc. Not that many problems but if one they slove it quick. My only problem is that they dont have the AMD 4400 processor in their 8000's series laptops. As soon as they do I am buying one.

Collapse -
HP baby
by jgvillan / March 26, 2006 4:59 AM PST
In reply to: HP Products

For as long as I've been in the IT feild, I have always been using HP products, and to be very honest, I have never met an HP product that I hated. Been through three HP laptops, and countless printers. All within acceptable parametes...=) Even my new 17" laptop is an HP, the new (or was new) dv8000z. Always have been with HP, always will.

Collapse -
DELLS VERY POOR CUSTOMER SVC
by Roy W King / March 25, 2006 7:01 AM PST

With the super poor customer service I can not see how anyone can recommend Dell unless they can or know someone to repair it. The outsourcing of customer service has led to individuals that speak english but dont understand the meaning of words. They Never returns calls with real information (41 trys 4 me).

Collapse -
Dells customer service
by mrsgkr / March 25, 2006 7:34 AM PST

I have 2 desktops and one laptop, all from Dell. I have never, in 7 years, had any problems with Dell's customer service. I agree that we are sometimes connected to a person who doesn't speak or understand much english. That's when I ask to speak with a supervisor. No problem, issue resolved.

Collapse -
Poor is an understatement
by fordag / March 26, 2006 11:13 AM PST

I wish i would have known that dell used outsourcing in India.
Even when you speak to a supervisor i think i used "repeat" and "what did you say?" every other sentence.After they assured me i would get a refund i look at my account 3 months later i still havew no refund!
I just made a complaint with the dept of consumer affairs.

Collapse -
Dell has the worst Customer service
by fordag / March 26, 2006 11:07 AM PST

If you open a dell preferred account BEWARE! make sure you check your statement.I ordered my first and last Dell in december 2005. When it arrived The preinstalled software was in conflict with the MS media center edition o/s. I spent over 6 hours with customer service/support in 2 days and after reconfig numerous times support states there is nothing thay can do.
Needless to say after another 3 1/2 hours on the phone i was to send back the computer and was charged $145.00 to my account for software support !!
3 months later i am still trying to get a refund. Oh did i mention i signed up for the preffered account because it was SUPPOSED to be 0% interest.
They ended up trying to charge me 11% !!

Collapse -
Poor Customer Service
by kannura / March 26, 2006 3:27 PM PST

If you want a Dell thats fine, but be prepared for long phone chats with someone from India if something goes wrong with you Notebook...

Same with HP, and Compaq as my step-mother just had to replace her Hard Drive and she needed disks and it wasnt easy with HP CS...

Collapse -
Dell Acquires Alienware
by linkit / March 27, 2006 2:21 AM PST
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?