The CNET Lounge forum

General discussion

Alienware technical support

by ParaDad / April 21, 2006 12:34 PM PDT

I purchased my Alienware laptop, the Aurora with the 17'' widescreen in the blue case, with a wireless network card inside and two CD/DVD bays. Alienware sent my laptop without installing any of the drivers, so my wireless card won't connect to my home network, and the CD/DVD drive bays won't open. I know my wireless signal is good because I have a meter for that, and it shows 4 of the 5 strength indicator lights lit next to the laptop. I found out how to use the F14 function key to turn the antenna on but I still can't get it to connect to the Internet. The drive bays' indicator lights flash when I push the eject buttons, and I can hear them doing something, but the doors don't open on either one of them.

The first person I got at tech support had me do a lot of things for the wireless but we still couldn't get it to work. Then he says, ''You had a problem with your CD drive bays too right? Let me connect you with a technician that can help you with that.'' This one wanted me to take off some panel on the bottom of the computer and reset the drive bays. I had no idea what he was talking about and felt very uncomfortable about poking around inside this new laptop anyway. I am in a wheelchair paralyzed from the chest down and I can only use one hand at a time bacause I need to keep one in my lap to support myself so I can sit up straight. This guy had me turning the laptop over and back, over and back, and I told him I could barely manage that because of my disability. That's when I asked for on-site service. I didn't even have the right tools for this and it was too hard to do with my handicap.

Alienware has refused my request for on-site customer service. I have been told not to call them back until I have someone here with me that can do the required troubleshooting procedures on the phone with them. I don't understand how they can stay in business being the liars and cheats that they are. I paid for the 24/7 technical support WITH on-site service when I bought this laptop -- a laptop that I have yet to use because it was shipped to me in a non-working condition. And now that I am asking for on-site service, the telephone tech support people won't even talk to me.

I bought this laptop from Alienware because of the magazine advertisements and the consumer awards they brag about. I paid a LOT of money for it, more than what I would have paid for two Dell laptops. I wanted an extreme gaming computer that I wouldn't have to worry about getting dusty inside or reaching around the back of, or being able to move around, because it's hard to do things from a wheelchair with just one hand. I got the cooler stand for it, the slim Canon printer, and a lot of extras to make it a cool and complete system. And most of all, I bought from Alienware because they were a Florida company that builds and supports their PC's right there at the factory in Miami....

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Alienware technical support
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Alienware technical support
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Consumer watchdog, or news sights
by Redhats Q / April 21, 2006 2:22 PM PDT

What ever you do do not give up.

First contact yor local consumer watchdog groups. There are laws about false advertising and the involvement of a group that they know is scary.

Second Keep e-mailing news sites. E-mail the BOL crew buzz@cnet.com ??? i think and give them the whole story. Also tell every media agency you can hink of, Call Leo on the KFI radio show, once this gets some media attention, and they ring Alienware asking why they wont honour support for a paralyzed person.. You;ll not only ave support, you'll probably have a whole crew there just to show the camera's how much they will do for a customer.

If they promised the on-site support they have to deliver. I am sure that even in the US you have legal protection over this.

I have made calls like this on behalf of others in NZ and I find once a major news show starts calling the right people, It gets sorted REALLY REALLY FAST ..

COme on Molly and Tom Your both editors ... you must know someone you can ask for a statement.

Collapse -
Did you
by ph3Ar / April 21, 2006 11:00 PM PDT

buy yor laptop after alienware announce that they were bought by dell or did you buy it before? I bought mine bafore and they never had any problems before with their customer report.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?