Laptops forum

General discussion

alienware laptop?

by RalphyCrack / December 7, 2006 4:07 AM PST

I'm wondering if an alienware laptop is the best for gaming?The reason i want a laptop instead of a desktop cuz im starting to go to school and i will still like to game on it.So which is the right one for me?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: alienware laptop?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: alienware laptop?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
No joke.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 7, 2006 4:13 AM PST
In reply to: alienware laptop?

If you search this forum about Alienware you find that they don't stock parts (they'll claim they do) and service can be subpar, absent and even negligent.

Definitely an avoid.

Bob

Collapse -
Hmm...
by steve749 / December 7, 2006 4:19 AM PST
In reply to: alienware laptop?

Some may say that and others may not since there are many many that have gripes about Alienware. Another point here is how bulky of a laptop do you want as some of the bigger laptops with 17" screens or bigger can be pretty heavy and thus not quite so portable, e.g. the Dell XPS M2010 weighs about 20 pounds and is considered by Dell to be a laptop.

Is battery life a factor in additional to weight? How expensive a laptop do you want? Some folks may pay thousands of dollars if you look at say VoodooPC's laptop line to give an example of how high one could go.

Regards,
JB

Collapse -
try Asus ones
by austere_sly / December 7, 2006 1:51 PM PST
In reply to: Hmm...

i said Asus coz u wanted a laptop for gaming *** a school. Recently at newegg.com i saw this Asus model for less than $ 1800 with impressive specs. Best i like abt his one was the new Geforce 7700 graphics card (512 MB dedeicated VRAM).
Link : http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16834220098

Similarly configured laptop with a lesser ram and ATI X1600 counterpart was for arnd $ 1550.
Link : http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16834220105

if u want the laptop to be carried in school it shouldn't be bulky. Also a bulky laptop has lesser battery life. If found that major manufacturers like HP and Dell in their 15.4" screen size go only till 256 MB RAM Video card ( 128 MB Dedicated + 128 MB eihter Turbocache or Hypermemory ). A better video card with them can be found only with a 17'' screen laptop.
With not so major manufacturers like Asus, i found that they provide better Graphics card even at 15.4" screen. In fact the above two laptops have been specified as gaming ones.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?