HolidayBuyer's Guide

Computer Help forum

General discussion

Alienware 3 years warranty

by totalwar777 / October 9, 2009 10:24 PM PDT

I know when I brought the Dell monitor direct from Alienware http://accessories.euro.dell.com/sna/productdetail.aspx?c=uk&l=en&s=dhs&cs=ukdhs1&sku=147262 from Alienware it had 3 years warranty started so on there website at the time when I brought but I have no prove.Alienware are saying it was only two years and I have seen the same monitor still being sold by other retailers still has the three years warranty in fact I never heard of a two years warranty always 3 years or 1 year.I contacted Dell gave them the details S/N Alienware Order Number but they could not find it on there syslem.So what are my rights is there anything I can do about this.

Power Button on Monitor defective is stuck and have to turn off monitor at the mains.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Alienware 3 years warranty
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Alienware 3 years warranty
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Not much
by Jimmy Greystone / October 9, 2009 11:32 PM PDT

Not much I'm afraid, and since this is primarily a US site, the fact that you're on the other side of the pond means most people are going to be unfamiliar with your country's particular legal system.

Based on your grammatical skill, I'm going to take the leap and assume you're English, or part of some current/former English colony/commonwealth. So odds are your legal system will be based on the English legal system just like the US legal system, and will share a number of similarities. So basically your only real option would be to report them to any sort of government business watchdog organization, and possibly a private non-profit organization as well. Usually these groups are devoid of any real power to do anything, but you can file a complaint with them that other people could potentially look up.

You can also try taking them to your country's equivalent of small claims court. Here in the States, that's for anything up to about $5,000... So for the sake of math, let's just assume a 1:1 exchange rate with the Euro. You could attempt to sue, and have the court force Dell to figure out how much of the price they charge is for the warranty, and then refund you the balance of that final year. Probably all of which, and then some, would be eaten by administrative costs, so it would basically be a paper victory only.

In pretty much any country, wantonly lying to a court is an EXTREMELY serious crime, and any company caught doing it will be severely punished by the court. So if you could find some kind of evidence that they offered a 3-year warranty when you bought the monitor, and then filed papers with the court claiming it was never 3-years but only 2, then Dell's European unit would be in serious legal trouble. Of course you wouldn't see any of the massive fines that would likely be imposed, they'd go directly to the state and/or EU.

So the long and short of it is that there's really nothing you can do. But if you identify your country of origin, there might be someone here who's more familiar with your different options.

Collapse -
The link you gave
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / October 9, 2009 11:57 PM PDT

is to a Dell supplied monitor, and in the Tech Specs, (at the bottom), the page says;

"Standard Warranty
This monitor ships with 3-year Premium Panel Exchange service."

So, for a Dell supplied monitor there would appear to be a 3-year warranty, but for a "Premium Panel Exchange service". The words they choose are interesting. What does "Premium" mean? Automatic warranty or, "you have to pay extra for a Premium warranty" warranty? I suspect the latter.It's how they boost their profits. Having said that, delving deeper, I found this page;
http://accessories.euro.dell.com/sna/PopupProductDetail.aspx?cs=ukdhs1&l=en&c=uk&sku=147262
It's a pop-up and I had to add the monitor to my basket and proceed to checkout before I could find the product details. I am not sure if you will be able to see the pop-up without doing the same.

In that page it says Manufacturer Warranty : 3 years warranty and also;
"Manufacturer Warranty
Service & Support 3 years warranty
Service & Support Details Limited warranty - replacement - 3 years - shipment - response time: next business day"

That is all suitably clear and vague at the same time. That "Limited warranty" would worry me.

So if anyone purchased that Dell monitor they may or may not have rights to a full 3-year warranty. But here's the added complication.

You appear to have purchased your Dell through Alienware. They may be an off-shoot of Dell, but they may not offer the same warranty terms. Unless you have the original paperwork, and/or the original emails confirming your specs, you are going to find it very difficult, and I suspect quite expensive, to fight this.

The UK also has a Small Claims Court, (if you are in the UK as I am), and although they often find in favour of the little guys like us against the big bullies, they will need to see your evidence as well.

Mark

Collapse -
Thanks
by totalwar777 / October 10, 2009 12:18 AM PDT
In reply to: The link you gave

At the time Alienware was not part of Dell group but is now.I don't have the original emails confirming your specs as got deleted when syslem fail on me and had no backup and yes I'm in the UK.I seen a lot of problems with this company going back years just have to Goggle and comes up with pages of complaints wish I seen this before I got My Monitor from them and thanks for the replys.

Collapse -
Thanks Dell
by totalwar777 / October 11, 2009 8:30 PM PDT
In reply to: Thanks

Dell say that all there monitors come with 3 years warranty and are going to replace my monitor and should get it tommorrow will be a refurb very happy Dell was very helpful.I will no longer be using Alienware in the future.

Collapse -
Excellent!
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / October 11, 2009 8:39 PM PDT
In reply to: Thanks Dell

That's great news totalwar. Congratulations on contacting Dell, and on the result.

Thanks for reporting back.

Mark

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

HOLIDAY GIFT GUIDE 2017

Cameras that make great holiday gifts

Let them start the new year with a step up in photo and video quality from a phone.