Laptops forum

General discussion

alienware

just wondering what everyone thinks about the new Alienware Sentia. I'm really considering buying one. Besides looking like a total dork sitting in class, i think it will be really useful. I will be using it less for games, but more in the fields of 3d design (photoshop and autocad) as well as the regular writing papers, listening to music, and internet. The computer is set my alienware on has 2ghz 2mb chache and 2 gigs memory (buying RAM somewhere else).

Technical Specifications

Processors & Chipset
Intel

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: alienware
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: alienware
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: alienware

In reply to: alienware

Let me bottomline this one.

"Exclusive Alienware Design and Construction"

This is just another no-name machine. Where are the service centers, what is the 800 support number (in what country) and how long does it take them to get you a replacement part?

Be sure to see if their website offers drivers for various Operating Systems since you may want to load XP Pro from CD and then you'll want all the drivers.

Bob

Collapse -
Re: alienware

In reply to: Re: alienware

the support does not seem to be bad at all (from other review sites). i will probably order the comp with xp pro. my only concern is with 64-bit on the way, this is an expensive investment if computers are going to be changing.

Collapse -
Why this one?

All the Centrinos are crammed into a narrow price range of 1 to 2 thousand bucks. Best Buy is still this make's primary outlet and service from them has (for me) been non-existant. While I will buy from them, they get a rating of zero for service of anything they sell. They are strictly a box mover. Take advantage of that and don't count on their service.

I see the 64-bit wave and know not to ignore it. If you can get 2 years out of this purchase, then it's a good thing.

Remember that battery will not last 2 years so factor that into your upkeep cost of any laptop.

bob

Collapse -
Re: Why this one?

In reply to: Why this one?

wow. thanks for all the feedback. im interested in a laptop that can last for another 4 years for basic presenation/ paper work. so i may just wait a little more for 64-bit. i can last long enough on my desktop, but is the estimate for 64-bit on laptop around 6-12 months?

Collapse -
Do read the 64-bit quesiton.

In reply to: Re: Why this one?

There's a long one in this forum and I think it covers all the major points.

At the end, the issue is pretty well exposed and (I repeat) that one should move to stay 32-bit only in a conscious decision to do so.

Today, we have 4 major models of 64-bit capable laptops to choose from from names we recognise to have service centers across the US and more. I'm still leaning to the Emachine 6809 for great keyboard, all the right ports, parts and a fair price. I would not give it a second thought if Gateway didn't own that lineup.

Today, we have 64-bit OSes. XP64 is free for a year, Suse 9.1 comes with the 64-bit version, Knoppix64 is a bootable 64-bit OS with many of the apps extended to 64-bit and work continues. Anyone that writes that we have to wait to gain the 64-bit advantage may not be "out there" and trying this stuff.

Staying with 32-bit is fine, but I've lived the 8 to 16 to 32 bit changeovers and have learned that this wave is not to be ignored. For PCs and SUN computers, such changes happened in about 9 months as all the pundits wrote feverishly that 16 or 32-bit was more than sufficient for our needs.

You will read the same words as before.

"There are no 32-bit application." was written before. At least this time, there are 64-bit apps out there. Not Microsoft Office, but with Open Office why is Microsoft a factor here?

Bob

Collapse -
Re: Do read the 64-bit quesiton.

In reply to: Do read the 64-bit quesiton.

thanks a lot Bob. i think im going to wait for a 64-bit intel processor for laptops. would you advise that?

Collapse -
Re: Do read the 64-bit quesiton.

In reply to: Re: Do read the 64-bit quesiton.

I think you know my answer on that. Disregard my little red-m, but I see no reason to wait for Intel on this one. It's my money on the next laptop and the discussion noted has the reasons.

Intel may roll out in 2005, but I will not miss the wave.

Intel is however keeping a tight lip about this, but we see 64-bit extensions on Xeon and odd things on P4. The show is quite fun to watch.

Bob

Collapse -
uhmm support

the reason why support gets high #s is because

A)the people there are cheerful, not the supers tho
B)they seem to be 50% english speaking
C)are very polite

aka even when you get screwed by them u kinda feel good about yourself aka they had me wait for a week, than another week, than another n again but i thought they were "working" on my problem, one rep even said they had A TEAM asembled to investigate my problem.... yeah....

eventually i called in and found that they didnt even look at the pictures... they did that on hold... in the end they fixed nothing and politely voided my warranty after lying to me about me having to fixit myself...

i hate nissans cuz theyre cheap build but well even though my sentra was a wreck they did replace the crappy cd player 3 times... at least they were consistant with their warranty... AW is happy to cover their rear and faulty production by pointing at you when something goes wrong

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.