Networking & Wireless forum

Question

Alfa R36 and AWUS036H network issues

Hey everyone =]

Recently got myself the Alfa R36 and Alfa AWUS036H to use in my mobile home.

Lots of tutorials to set it up and they are all pretty similar and simple.

I can set up the network fine, but internet doesn't seem to want to come through to the created network. I get some warnings in my router's system log:

MRT_DEL_MFC; Errno(2): No such file or directory

As well as others saying that the origin has been changed. I googled these but couldn't really find anything that relates, or any fixes.

Both the original router and the R36 have updated firmware and this is the second R36 I've used with the same problem, so I guess the problem lies with either the settings on the R36 or in the original router.

If anyone has any experience with these or if you have any suggestions they would be much appreciated. I'm very inexperienced with networks so please go easy.

Thanks again,
englishfellow.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Alfa R36 and AWUS036H network issues
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Alfa R36 and AWUS036H network issues
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Clarification Request
I looked this up

In reply to: Alfa R36 and AWUS036H network issues

And find an extender setup. You didn't add in your internet connection so I have less than half the picture. For example the usual failure is when folk try to use this to connect to someone else's WiFi. That rarely works.

Collapse -
info

In reply to: I looked this up

An extender setup? Sorry, what do you mean by that?

Also apologies, I didn't know it was needed.

My ISP is talktalk (UK)s and I'm on DSL.

I'm trying to connect to my home router/network at the moment.

Thanks for getting back to me.

Collapse -
This combo is used to extend and may not always do that.

In reply to: info

https://www.amazon.com/Alfa-R36-Repeater-Extender-AWUS036H/dp/B004ZF0I3U
Picture:

So I got a little more detail from you but still missing the entire picture. You write about this pair and the only time I see this pair is for extending WiFi then you reply you may not have known about this extender rig.

--> OK from the top, you have DSL but to what router?
Does the router have WiFi?
If not I would be guessing the pair was bought to add WiFi?

Try to make it so I won't guess as I usually guess badly.
Collapse -
extender

In reply to: This combo is used to extend and may not always do that.

Ah ok, I'll try and explain what I'm trying to do =]

I bought the pair to use as an extender - yes. They are for my mobile home when I'm out and about and if an open AP around.

Right now I'm testing them on my home network.

My home network is DSL from a Belkin F5D8636-4 v2 this gives my non-mobile (normal) home, Wifi.

Testing my Afla rig on my home network gives me a second Wifi network which I can connect to but it does not have internet.

Hope that helps! Thanks again.

Collapse -
so, the wifi is in the house

In reply to: extender

and you want to pick it up in the "mobile home"? Have you tried it with the trailer's window open and the device by it? Remember, any metal clad trailer is very similar to a Faraday cage, not perfect one, but the metal cladding does block a lot of RF.

Collapse -
not exactly

In reply to: so, the wifi is in the house

I'm testing the system in the house for the moment. I get strong signal from the network but there is no internet....

Collapse -
you can get a "connection" but still...

In reply to: not exactly

....fail to achieve "internet access" if your security settings don't match up. Your extender needs to have it's security settings match what's on the main router, either WEP or WPA (some version)

Collapse -
Then it's probably a setup issue.

In reply to: extender

You don't know this but the office and I don't support extenders due to how flaky they can be.

You need to go over the setup again. It's possible this extender does not work with your router.

What does work are WAPs and devices like the following. You could plug the extender to the outside to get WiFi outside.
Picture follows:

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
From the top.

I'm unsure why you wrote "An extender setup? Sorry, what do you mean by that?" and later wrote you bought it as an extender. That's OK but in this setup the first box must login to the existing WiFi and I don't see a word from you how you did that.

Along with that, share links about the method you used along with the current security of the WiFi. Some folk setup MAC filtering and blammo. Extenders and more do not work. It can be advanced setup and along with the fact these extenders sometimes just don't work, why I go with WAPs and powerline networking today.

That is you leave what doesn't work all the time to other companies rather than get folk upset with your company.

Collapse -
Answer
use one the same way

Don't know if this helps...I have one of these R36 setups in my camper and works very well although it does not always give up an ip address so needs power cycling on occasions.
I have experienced routing issues which may be your problem...all routers that I came across all seem to start 192.168.2 or 1.1...so you could have your r36 and the router you are trying to extend on the same address...try going into the r36 lan settings and change the address range to 192.168.10.1..it may fix your issue..good luck.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GRAMMYS 2019

Here's Everything to Know About the 2019 Grammys

Find out how to watch the Grammy Awards if you don't have cable and more.