Audio & Video Software forum

General discussion

Album consolidation

by BobDolan / November 30, 2009 11:32 PM PST

I have just converted my music library from windows media player to itunes. Itunes has sub divided many of my albums that contain more than one artist into separate albums. how do i combine these sub divisions back into the original compilation albums?
I have not copied these to my ipod nano yet.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Album consolidation
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Album consolidation
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Couple of ways,
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / December 1, 2009 2:29 AM PST
In reply to: Album consolidation

Smart Playlists or Manually.

In the sidebar on the left, select Music.
This shows all your tracks without them being shown in these "subdivisions", known as Playlists.

If all your tracks have the name of the album included already, you can use a Smart Album to gather all the tracks of a particular album together.
Click File > New Smart Playlist and fill in the criteria you want for that Playlist. (the name of the album)
All tracks in your library that meet that criteria, will appear in the Smart Playlist. (They do NOT move out of the Music Library)
Repeat until done.
Then delete all the subdivisions that you did not make.
File > Creat New Playlist.
Create a Playlist for each album and drag each track, from the library and not from the iTunes created subdivisions, into the correct playlist.
Once you have done that, you can delete the iTunes created subdivisions.

Does that help

Collapse -
Album consolidation
by BobDolan / December 2, 2009 2:01 AM PST
In reply to: Couple of ways,

Thank You, that works very well.

Collapse -
by Kevin M. Dean / December 2, 2009 12:55 AM PST

Select the tracks that should be listed together as one album.

Right-click and select Get Info.

Switch to the Options section.

Set "Part of a compilation:" to Yes.

In the iTunes Preferences, switch to Advanced and check "Group compilations when browsing".

Collapse -
by BobDolan / December 2, 2009 2:19 AM PST
In reply to: Compilations

Thank you for taking the time to respond to my problem, I will try your solution as well

Collapse -
Here's a related item
by timhood / December 4, 2009 1:27 PM PST

The "part of a compilation" and "group compilations" tip is the correct way to manage multi-artist albums. That's the reason why Apple added those features to iTunes. Here's a similar issue I have faced that might help you as well.

Sometimes you have songs that are by two artists coming together to make a song or an artist "featuring" another artist. Well, if you put say, "Susan Boyle and Michael Bubl

Collapse -
Putting back the albums
by ElayneGreaves / December 6, 2009 6:56 AM PST

Thank you for bringing this up. I have been having the same problem and have spent hours trying to put them all back together. (I have a couple of albums of 'Favourite Movie Themes' and every track is a different artist - so annoying when itunes split them up into 30 small ones)

I will try all of the suggested solutions too. Thanks heaps!!

Popular Forums
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
Laptops 21,181 discussions
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
Phones 17,137 discussions
Security 31,287 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?