Speakeasy forum

General discussion

Alaskan volcano ready for eruption

by Angeline Booher / February 2, 2009 2:33 AM PST
The Alaska Volcano Observatory said in a statement Friday "volcanic tremor" has increased in "amplitude."

Mount Redoubt last erupted nearly 20 years ago, in December 1989, and that eruption lasted until April 1990. Geologists think there could be an eruption "similar to or smaller than the one that occurred in 1989-90."

That eruption spread ash in Kenai and Anchorage, where it disrupted air traffic operations. Cervelli said the ash plumes caused engine failure on a jet.

The 1989-90 eruption also spurred volcanic mudflows, or lahars, that flowed east down the Drift River. The ash fall was seen as far away as Fairbanks and the Yukon Territory border.

http://www.cnn.com/2009/TECH/science/01/30/alaska.volcano/

Story from the Anchorage Daily News:

http://www.adn.com/3322/story/675887.html

Angeline
Speakeasy Moderator
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Alaskan volcano ready for eruption
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Alaskan volcano ready for eruption
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Volcanos connected?
by JP Bill / February 2, 2009 3:53 AM PST

Pacific Rim?

Volcano erupts near Tokyo

TOKYO - A snowcapped volcano northwest of Tokyo erupted early Monday, sending up a huge plume of smoke and gas and raining fine, powdery ash on parts of Japan's capital.

There were no reports of injuries or damage from the eruption of Mount Asama, which is about 145 kilometres northwest of Tokyo. The volcano erupted at 1:51 a.m., belching out a plume that rose almost two kilometres high, according to Japan's Meteorological Agency. The plume was still roiling over the volcano's crater late Monday.

Collapse -
On the surface, many are.
by drpruner / February 2, 2009 12:35 PM PST
In reply to: Volcanos connected?
http://www.iris.edu/dms/seismon.htm

The purple dots, which are earthquakes over the last 5 years, effectively map subsurface faults and such. Notice the strings connecting the Aleutians and the Japanese islands.

I doubt there's a single underground lava conduit, though.
Collapse -
No single underground conduit....
by Josh K / February 2, 2009 10:32 PM PST

....but if the volcanoes are close enough together, some vulcanologists think a chain-reaction could occur. There was concern in 1980 that if Mount St. Helens erupted violently enough, the seismic activity could cause shifts under some of the other volcanoes near it, possibly resulting in more eruptions.

This morning they're reporting that Redoubt could blow at any minute.

Collapse -
Not to worry, Angeline.
by Paul C / February 2, 2009 9:00 AM PST

We can survive an eruption of Mount Redoubt easily. What we can't survive easily - and maybe not at all - is an eruption here.

Collapse -
(NT) That one is really scarey
by Diana Forum moderator / February 2, 2009 9:21 AM PST
Collapse -
We were there in 2007
by Josh K / February 2, 2009 10:28 PM PST

It is pretty scary when you think about what you're walking on when you're there.

Collapse -
(NT) Imagine living in Pompeii!
by Dan McC / February 3, 2009 4:04 AM PST
In reply to: We were there in 2007
Collapse -
Been there too
by Josh K / February 3, 2009 10:22 PM PST

Really incredible and the area is still under constant threat. Vesuvius remains active, erupting once every fifty years or so, and it's last eruption was in 1944, so they're about due.

Collapse -
I too have visited Naples and Pompeii,...
by Paul C / March 24, 2009 10:45 PM PDT
In reply to: Been there too

...and I was astounded by the fact that the residents continue to farm, grow grapes and live literally on the sides of Vesuvius.

One Neapolitan I spoke to said that if the volcano erupted, "then we'd all leave". How on earth do you evacuate 2 million people in the short amount of time you'd have?

If Vesuvius really seriously erupts again, I imagine that the death toll would be enormous.

A side note: In 1944, one of my late uncles had passed through Naples just before that eruption. He remembered looking to the south, seeing the pillar of smoke and wondering if there had been some large explosion in a supply dump or if the Germans had somehow circled around and attacked the city.

Collapse -
It's especially dangerous....
by Josh K / March 25, 2009 12:46 AM PDT

...because Vesuvius has a history of erupting with relatively little warning compared with other volcanoes (e.g. Mount St. Helens showed its first signs of activity around six weeks before the big eruption in 1980 and Redoubt was stirring for longer than that before it blew). There's a documentary called "In the Shadow of Vesuvius" that's worth watching. It talks about other seismic activity in that general area as well.

Collapse -
I just heard about a Yellowstone possibility,
by drpruner / February 3, 2009 2:07 PM PST

but I had already forgotten about it ... probably in mental self-protection ... which you have now destroyed. Thanks a lot.
[From Angeline's list. Happy ]

Collapse -
Add: US disaster possibilities.
by drpruner / February 2, 2009 3:59 PM PST
http://www.wlbt.com/global/story.asp?s=9769344

Earthquakes pose threat to Mississippi
"Posted: Feb 1, 2009 07:28 PM MST
... The truth is that several Mississippi counties are at risk for a severe earthquake in the future. That's why governor Haley Barbour made January 26th through 30th, Mississippi's Earthquake Awareness Week.
There are only illustrations of perhaps the worst series of earthquakes to hit the New Madrid seismic zone back in 1811 and 1812. That zone consists of a series of faults that cross the Mississippi and Ohio rivers; stretching 40 miles wide and 200 miles long...."
Collapse -
The New Madras Fault
by Angeline Booher / February 3, 2009 7:11 AM PST

Reelfoot Lake was formed:

Popular history says that the lake was formed when the region subsided after the New Madrid earthquakes of 1811?1812, and that the Mississippi River flowed backward for 10-24 hours to fill it. The observations of the few persons in the region at time confirm that something serious occurred in the Reelfoot area in conjunction with the earthquakes, and that it undoubtedly resulted in major changes in the landforms of the area (which are very changeable at any rate, as the area is comprised primarily of glacial loess).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reelfoot_Lake

If a big one hot, it would be divesting for Memphis. We would probably have some damage in Nashville, but not catastrophically.

I have felt tremors here about 4 times in 35 years.

But I think there are many other areas of the country that are susceptible to quakes.

Angeline
Speakeasy Moderator

Collapse -
Related news?
by drpruner / February 3, 2009 4:49 PM PST

From the BBC, in full:
Japan's Mount Asama volcano has erupted, spewing smoke almost 2km (1.3 miles) into the air and causing ash to drift over parts of the capital, Tokyo.
There were no reports of injuries or damage in the sparsely populated area around the mountain, 145km north-west of Tokyo. Chunks of rock from the explosion were found about 1km from the volcano. Residents living within a 4km radius of the mountain have been urged to be cautious. Volcanic ash fell on nearby areas as well as parts of Tokyo, Japan's meteorological agency said.
TV reports showed neighbourhoods sprinkled with white flakes. Mount Asama is 2,568m (8,425 ft) high, with snow-covered peaks. No lava flows could be seen. The last major eruption of Mount Asama took place in September 2004, when it spewed ash and rock as far as 200km away. A huge eruption in 1783 caused widespread damage and killed about 1,500 people.
With 108 active volcanoes, Japan is among the most seismically busy countries in the world. The country lies in the so-called Ring of Fire - a series of volcanoes and faultlines that outline the Pacific Ocean.

Collapse -
(NT) Ready, willing, able, and done!
by Dan McC / March 23, 2009 10:05 PM PDT
Collapse -
The eruption began at night....
by Josh K / March 23, 2009 11:33 PM PDT

....so there aren't any photos or videos of it starting. I haven't seen any pictures at all yet since she blew.

Collapse -
News story complete with video
by Angeline Booher / March 24, 2009 12:16 AM PDT
Collapse -
P.S. Check out
by Angeline Booher / March 24, 2009 12:25 AM PDT

,,,,, the videos and photos available at the bottom of the column.

Angeline
Speakeasy Moderator

Collapse -
As to the subthread about a connection
by drpruner / March 24, 2009 10:30 PM PDT
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?