HolidayBuyer's Guide

Speakeasy forum

General discussion

Al-Jazeera: Video shows U.S., UK hostages

by RB2D2 / September 18, 2004 8:25 AM PDT

The three men in the video were shown blindfolded and seated as they addressed the camera. An armed man stood behind them.

The anchor for the network spoke over the tape's audio, saying the Jihad and Unification group threatened to behead the hostages in 48 hours unless female Iraqi prisoners are released from Um Qasr and Abu Ghraib prisons.

http://www.cnn.com/2004/WORLD/meast/09/18/iraq.hostages/index.html

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Al-Jazeera: Video shows U.S., UK hostages
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Al-Jazeera: Video shows U.S., UK hostages
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: Al-Jazeera: Video shows U.S., UK hostages
by C1ay / September 18, 2004 12:25 PM PDT

Most telling of these subhumans is their statement, "By the name of God, these three hostages will get nothing from us except their throats slit and necks chopped, so they will serve as an example." from the Fox report... Of course, Al Jazeera did not report this part in their edition of the story.

Collapse -
by Dave Konkel [Moderator] / September 18, 2004 12:50 PM PDT

Hi, Clay.

It's also telling that Al-Zarchawi's demand for their release is impossible, as he wants all women released from two prisons where there are none. I have a serious question for you, though. You strike me as an intelligent and well-read man -- do you really believe Bush's fantasy that things are improving in Iraq?

-- Dave K, Speakeasy Moderator
click here to email semods4@yahoo.com

The opinions expressed above are my own,
and do not necessarily reflect those of CNET!

Collapse -
by C1ay / September 18, 2004 1:14 PM PDT
do you really believe Bush's fantasy that things are improving in Iraq?

Yes. I believe many things are improving over there. The media doesn't seem to want to report much of it.

I can't remember the last time, if ever, that I saw a smiling Iraqi citizen in the news, particularly the American news. We've been bombarded for months on end over the horrendous actions of a half a dozen soldiers (cretins) at Abu Ghraib but we hear nothing of the positive efforts of the other 160,000 troops in Iraq.

The media fails to report that all 240 hospitals and 95% of the clinics have reopened with health care spending 26 times what it was under Saddam.

The media fails to report that the CPA spent $9 million to clear over 18,500 kilometers of irrigation canals that were previously weed choked from years of neglect to bring water thousands of farmers.

The media fails to report that the CPA provided funding to repair more than 1,040 schools, built playgrounds and sports fields, provided youth centers, and repaired child care centers. The Coalition Provisional Authority and Iraqi workers built a new school in Hilla, Babil Province. Liberation School, so named by local school officials, will provide more than 400 boys and girls an opportunity to attend primary school in their own neighborhood where they had no school before.

The media fails to report that the Humanitarian Assistance Coordination Center (HACC), operated by the Polish Army, has provided medicine, food, and toys to the Iraqi people. The HACC donated 450 cartons of antibiotics and painkillers to hospitals in Hilla and Al Kut. Toys collected by Polish children were distributed by HACC to Iraqi children at a primary school in Hilla. The Polish Army also donated 1,200 kg of food to villages near Karbala and an orphanage in Hilla.

The media just wants to keep telling us about the lowlife insurgents that want control of Iraq.

Yes. There are areas with room for improvement but things are not as bad as the media continues to portray them when you factor in the good that is happening that the media won't report. One thing's for sure, I'll bet they're not over there gassing Kurds and running people through the shredding machines anymore. Oil-For-Food money is not going in Saddam's pocket any more so that he can pay the families of Palestinian Suicide bombers or contribute to Al Qaida. Things are certainly better now than they were under Saddam. They're not perfect but they are better, IMO...

Collapse -
by RB2D2 / September 18, 2004 1:52 PM PDT

Yes there are many positive things going on in Iraq. There better be, considering all the money and manpower we have working there. What burns me up is when Bush says the world is now a safer place and the American people seem to believe him. I don't see that at all, I see more terrorist attacks and more countries are now tripling their efforts at accumulating and building WMD. Does Bush intend to disarm them all? The American people may feel THEY are safer but I don't think we are looking at the whole picture. WE are not the only ones who count in this world.

I think Hans Blix's opinions have credibility.

I think that the war has taught the world some lessons and that we all have a number of questions to ask and answer. In my view, it has shown that intelligence was very weak and that one needs to examine intelligence with a critical mind. The whole doctrine of preemptive war relies upon dependable intelligence, so I think that that doctrine has hit upon some problems.

Then on the question of terrorism, the war, of course, was not primarily justified by the existence of weapons of mass destruction (WMD). The action had its psychological roots in the reaction to 9/11. But what we have seen after the war is that the feeling of humiliation in Iraq has spread a lot of hatred and the threat for more terrorism in Iraq and beyond.

http://www.digitalnpq.org/global_services/global%20viewpoint/03-23-04.html

The bleak prognosis by US intelligence comes in the same week the administration asked Congress to approve the shift of US$3.6bn of the US$18bn earmarked for longer-term reconstruction in Iraq into short term measures to boost security and protect the country's oil industry.

Even Republicans on Capitol Hill are enraged at how under US$1bn of the promised US$18bn gas been spent.

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/storydisplay.cfm?storyID=3592293&thesection=news&thesubsection=world

Collapse -
by RB2D2 / September 18, 2004 2:05 PM PDT

The Iraqi people themselves have mixed opinions.

"I was so happy when the US came. We had no freedom under Saddam," she said. "But we are so scared now we have no freedom either."

In fact, though there is more fighting between insurgents and US troops, many Iraqis say that their personal security has improved, albeit marginally, in the past six months in much of Baghdad. In addition, electricity is available four out of every six hours instead of two, and salaries - for those with jobs - have increased. But the pace of progress is so slow that, even in the better areas, such minor improvements go unnoticed and large parts of the city are yet to experience any significant change since the invasion last year.

The opinions of the three foreign affairs experts toward the end of the article is very interesting.

http://observer.guardian.co.uk/focus/story/0,6903,1307867,00.html

Collapse -
Not very cheerful, is it?
by Dan McC / September 20, 2004 1:46 AM PDT
But the lineaments of a new nation are emerging. Ironically, much of it looks like Saddam's Iraq, though without the systematic repression. Appalling bureaucracy is back, along with rabid graft. 'The smell of corruption is overwhelming,' said a senior adviser at the Ministry of Oil. The new police see their job as maintaining order - in a brutal, often lethal fashion - not protecting citizens against crime. The government has responded harshly to media criticism, closing the offices of al-Jazeera and harassing journalists. Allawi has even created a secret intelligence service and talked of 'emergency powers' to counter violence. All of this confirms a pre-war memorandum to Tony Blair from senior UK government advisers, revealed last week, pointing out there was no certainty that any 'replacement regime' in Iraq 'will be any better' [than Saddam's]. The memo even raised the possibility of a new government seeking weapons of mass destruction.

Dan
Collapse -
by Mark5019 / September 18, 2004 3:07 PM PDT

well under saddams rule he just tourtured them and under this new gov there own sub humans killing them but when its done it will be good for them

Collapse -
by Mark5019 / September 18, 2004 3:05 PM PDT

well what do you expect from those sub humans there just below germs in my eyes and should be disenfected

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

The Samsung RF23M8090SG

One of the best French door fridges we've tested

A good-looking fridge with useful features like an auto-filling water pitcher and a temperature-adjustable "FlexZone" drawer. It was a near-flawless performer in our cooling tests.