Speakeasy forum

General discussion

Al-Jazeera broadcasts in English

by Terry Browne / November 16, 2006 10:24 AM PST
Al Jazeera English begins broadcasting.
This will definitely be welcomed by the CIA since that is an important source of information about the whereabouts of BinLaden. Not that they have used the information very well so far, but it's there.
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Al-Jazeera broadcasts in English
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Al-Jazeera broadcasts in English
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
ignorance is not always bliss
by WOODS-HICK / November 17, 2006 12:20 AM PST

I think we should be able to see it here. the more you know; the more you know. I do not like getting filtered information. maybe some broadcaster will develop the buds to offer it.

and I do not support terrorism or any incarnation of such: before that ridiculous rant starts.

Collapse -
by dirtyrich / November 17, 2006 7:52 AM PST

is thinking that Al-Jazeera will be more open about events than our multitude of news stations. There will likely be more bogus propaganda on Al-JAzeera English than what Hitler put out during WW2.

Collapse -
why should I let somebody tell me what is
by WOODS-HICK / November 17, 2006 8:10 AM PST
In reply to: Ignorance

or is not propaganda. our news stations have our viewpoint. I do not like to be spoon fed, I prefer to sit at the adult table.

interesting note: the advertisement on this page was for al-jazeera english news

Collapse -
as I was checking into this OP
by WOODS-HICK / November 17, 2006 9:40 AM PST
Collapse -
Curious thing about that ...
by Bill Osler / November 17, 2006 9:15 AM PST
In reply to: Ignorance

There are 2 reasons to think that Al Jazeera may provide an interesting addition to the news mix for those who have access to it. I don't have access to it and won't be looking for it, but I've found some interesting comments recently. Unfortunately, I don't remember exactly when and where these were on the radio. They are probably from NPR but I'm not sure which show or what day.

(1) A lot of the journalists involved in the English version have something to prove. They have abandoned their prior jobs in Western media organizations and they don't want to lose their credibility by coming across as propagandists. Or at least that is the opinion expressed by some US journalists;
(2) I heard an interview with someone (IIRC, an Israeli government representative) who described some of the material on Al Jazeera that we don't usually hear about in the Western media. Apparently the Arabic network includes considerable material that is factually accurate regarding Israel and it's people -- along with the propaganda. He actually said that many of the Arabic reports showed considerably more balance than the majority of the Western media's reports. He was especially critical of the BBC in this regard, which I found interesting because IIRC he was being interviewed on a BBC news show.

IOW, the network is not expected to be pure propaganda. I'm not going out of my way to tune in, but I don't want to dismiss it based on speculative prejudice.

Collapse -
The CIA should continue to monitor....
by Josh K / November 17, 2006 2:37 AM PST

....the Arabic-language version. You never know what might get "lost" in translation.

Collapse -
here is another view and reason
by WOODS-HICK / November 19, 2006 3:09 PM PST

to know what al-jazeera, etc broadcast."

Britain?s war: evasion and reality
Paul Rogers
16 - 11 - 2006
The head of Britain's security service shows more understanding of the political realities of the war on terror than the country's prime minister.http://www.opendemocracy.net/conflict/evasion_reality_4102.jsp

some words from the above link:

"......Major tragedies in Iraq may make it through to the BBC and sometimes even to CNN, but the coverage pales in comparison with al-Jazeera and al-Arabiya, channels watched by tens of millions of people across the middle east and beyond........"

"......Much of this is common knowledge across the Arab and Muslim worlds - but almost unknown in the west. This mismatch of awareness is disturbing enough; what makes it even more significant is the use which can be made of such accurate information. Briefly, it can be incorporated into and elaborated by more propagandistic narratives and outlets, all serving to present a clear-cut picture of a neo-Christian-Zionist conspiracy to control a key Islamic state and the immense oil riches of the surrounding region....."

>>>like I mentioned earlier: "..... not always bliss"--w-h<<<

Popular Forums
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
Laptops 21,181 discussions
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
Phones 17,137 discussions
Security 31,287 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?