Speakeasy forum

General discussion

Al Gore Issues Global Warming Emergency Warning

by James Denison / January 6, 2014 12:17 AM PST
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Al Gore Issues Global Warming Emergency Warning
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Al Gore Issues Global Warming Emergency Warning
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
You could always
by itsdigger / January 6, 2014 12:47 AM PST

rely on good ole' Al to give us the straight dope lol

-11 here, doors are frozen on Ole' Besty ( my pickup truck)

Battery's dead on dads mini van .

Glad I made a big lasagna yesterday and that big pot of ham and beans Sat.

Life Is Good Laugh

Digger

Collapse -
pot roast
by James Denison / January 6, 2014 1:17 AM PST
In reply to: You could always

with potatoes and carrots in the crock pot for tonight's dinner. I'll add some floured water last hour to thicken the sauce a bit. We are headed for 7-9F by tonight, although started at 43 this morning. I think an Al Gore might be hiding in my wood pile. Wink

Collapse -
my wood pile.
by JP Bill / January 6, 2014 3:01 AM PST
In reply to: pot roast

You're "palm tree wood pile"

how are your palm trees coming along?

Collapse -
(NT) Correction ....your "palm tree wood pile"
by JP Bill / January 6, 2014 3:02 AM PST
In reply to: my wood pile.
Collapse -
man
by itsdigger / January 6, 2014 3:02 AM PST

it's damn cold -14 now. Took me 2 hours to get Ole' Betsy going. First time I ever had to give her a jump. Think I'll wait till tomorrow to get dad's mini van running. As long as one is running we're in good shape

Digger

Collapse -
I may set my minivan to auto crank all night
by James Denison / January 6, 2014 6:19 AM PST
In reply to: man

If I do that it will auto crank every two hours and run 15 minutes before shutting off. Everytime however I have to pull out the manual to remember how to do that one. It's handy in this sort of weather though. what I like about my minivan is it's very well insulated and easy in and out, no cockpit type floor pan. I can slide my leg in or out without needing to climb out of the vehicle.

Collapse -
Remember the advice we once got to help keep
by Steven Haninger / January 6, 2014 6:56 AM PST

water pipes from freezing? You'd put a reflector type work light directed on the vulnerable areas. OOPS! You can't make those bulbs anymore...gotta' use fluorescent or LED types.

Collapse -
Rough service lamps are not banned, tho finding one
by Roger NC / January 6, 2014 7:55 AM PST

may become harder. Not sure how the ban on regular bulbs will affect people bothering to make or import the rough service bulbs, but they're not illegal.

That's what you normally use in a drop light type application.

Actually in that use, fluorescents at least don't blow when you bump the holder too hard.

Collapse -
Good thought
by Steven Haninger / January 6, 2014 9:06 AM PST

and someone else appears to have thought of it also.

http://www.newsmax.com/US/incandescent-light-loophole-rough/2013/12/24/id/543722

I haven't seen them commonly offered at retail outlets but suppose I didn't look long enough. They tend to be 130v and produce a bit less light from household current. I've replaced a large number of my standard bulbs with CFLs but haven't been at all impressed by their lifespan. Nearly 1/2 of the dozen or more I've replaced over the past 2-3 years have already failed. I kept the incandescent lamps I removed from the sockets. I find them better for some purposes. I'm needing to keep a basement corner a little warmer tonight because of the negative temperatures. My water service comes into a closet area that can get a bit chilly. Years ago we had a week long winter power outage and it got to almost freezing so even a light bulb would have been no good.

Collapse -
I'd actually consider a flood lamp, or even
by Roger NC / January 6, 2014 10:19 AM PST
In reply to: Good thought

a heat lamp for that basement corner during cold snaps, even if you did it in the ceiling.

Rough service lights are normally available at home improvement and hardware stores, or use to be. Yes, they're dimmer, actually have a heavier element, tougher but dimmer.

I wonder if you can still buy those metal bowl lamps with a spring grip on them, that might would be great for you to just clamp to a table edge or chair back, plug into a receptacle, and aim it right at your corner with a heat lamp for the really cold times there.

Something like these

Collapse -
got about 10 feet running around the pipes in my
by Roger NC / January 6, 2014 12:03 PM PST
In reply to: Up here

pump house. Probably not needed, brick pump house, 4 in fiberglass round the inside, 4 in fiberglass in the lid.

Granted the fiberglass around the inside of the pump house is just sort of standing there, not really secured to the brick, but still helps trap heat within. .

But a portable light, particularly a heat or infrared lamp, can be an occasionally use thing, and can be used with a regular light bulb for other things.

Tonight and tomorrow night are going to be colder than anything since this house was built probably. And whoever did the plumbing either wasn't smart, too cheap, or just ignorant. They didn't use those "freeze proof" spigots (they will freeze though) but the cheapest silcock basic spigots.

Collapse -
You're Right Roger
by itsdigger / January 6, 2014 12:14 PM PST

Light it up. An ounce of prevention..... spare yourself the grief. Be Green in the spring.lol

Digger

Collapse -
I actually have one of those.
by Steven Haninger / January 6, 2014 6:02 PM PST

And it's what I'd planned to use. I have another for work on the car in the garage...the type with a hook you can attach to the hood latch or suspension parts as needed. CFLs are fairly useless in a work light when the garage is too cold. I did hear that makers are working on customer complaints about CFLs but it's my guess they won't be around when LEDs improve and become more affordable.

Collapse -
Wow...looks like my worries were small
by Steven Haninger / January 6, 2014 6:18 PM PST

This was on our local news last night. It was already about 5 below and dropping.

Sub-zero degree water main break

I suspect this won't be easy to fix. My basement water entrance area stayed at 40 degrees last night so all is good.

Collapse -
(NT) in that case, wrap an electric blanket around the pipes
by James Denison / January 6, 2014 5:18 PM PST
In reply to: Good thought
Collapse -
for thickening stews and soups
by Roger NC / January 6, 2014 7:48 AM PST

I've come to like pearled barley.

The whole grain barley I eat some for the suppose health benefits wouldn't do that good. But pearled barley is polished like white rice, cooks easily and is a bit different. And most still agree it's relatively good for you, more than most more refined grains anyway.

That is long as you don't have gluten sensitivity.

Of course, that just absorbs water and adds something else to the pot, sort of like throwing in dry beans to start with. Your flour thicken the juice without removing it or replacing it with another food.

Collapse -
Bring it
by Willy / January 6, 2014 3:13 AM PST
In reply to: You could always

I brought a whole chicken for soup later and divvy some hamburger for noodle and such dinners. You know the "stick to your ribs" stuff on a cold day. Already its in the teens or less and the wind is kicking up. Tomorrow is suppose the real chiller and friends already telling me that the pipes are frozen or no water even before the super cold. The snow is piled all over and I hope the diesel tractor will start after charging it, because too cold it gets cranky, literally. I got the bibs out and of course the old thick as heck socks for the boots. Winter has come in big this yr. and the news talks about breaking records or not having this bad since 19?? or whatever. So, maybe Al has something to fall back on, but winter is part of the world here, some worse than others. -----Willy Happy

I remember walking through knee high snow to get to school having only socks for gloves and a baked potato for lunch in pocket. Get to school and place wet socks on register and report to class and strip the gouaches off and have the mandatory running nose. I think, I don't ever recall any snow days ever being used or had any. The parents decided if they wanted their kids to attend or not usually was, yes. Wink

Collapse -
Better leave that charger
by itsdigger / January 6, 2014 3:26 AM PST
In reply to: Bring it

on trickle tonight bro. and have the starting fluid handy. You're gonna need it unless you have glow plugs.

Ran diesel motors all my working career, seemed the only ones that started with no problems were the newer 4 stroke Detroit's.

Had gas pony motors on a few of the older one's to get them started but had to hand crank them , WHOOEY I don't miss those days.

Digger

Collapse -
so one was telling me of a dozer they drove
by Roger NC / January 6, 2014 7:57 AM PST

an electric starter to start a gasoline motor to start the diesel motor.

Back in the 50's and 60's I think.

Collapse -
True
by itsdigger / January 6, 2014 8:26 AM PST

That was an old H Model Cat, before they adapted the electric start to the gas motor , it was hand crank, that's what I was talking about

Collapse -
I suppose there's no point.....
by Josh K / January 6, 2014 5:02 AM PST

.....in explaining AGAIN that "global warming" doesn't just mean warmer temperatures. It means more extreme weather, more often.

Collapse -
(NT) Oh, is that the new mantra?
by James Denison / January 6, 2014 6:33 AM PST
Collapse -
I don't see any change
by itsdigger / January 6, 2014 6:41 AM PST

I was watching the weather channel and they said this happens every 30 year. So where's the global warming ?
This is normal, no change.

Digger

Collapse -
the oldest guy at work, 71, remembers
by Roger NC / January 6, 2014 7:59 AM PST
In reply to: I don't see any change

the river and sound here freezing over. And the sound is pretty salty.

I've seen a picture of a model T or A (one of those) driving across the river. This is a fairly good moving river, I wouldn't expect it to ever freeze.

Collapse -
Could be right
by Steven Haninger / January 6, 2014 9:18 AM PST

We're hearing it's due to what's called a "polar vortex". Sounds like it's like a hurricane with cold air instead of warm that's moved out of its normal roaming area. I'd think extreme changes could happen due to any temperature swing and that global moderate climate would be more dangerous. I'd not worry too much about it. We're being taken care of by forces far greater than the wind that comes from DC.

Collapse -
there's one thing I can't call it though
by James Denison / January 6, 2014 5:28 PM PST
In reply to: Could be right

and that's "Warming".

Collapse -
RE: there's one thing I can't call it though
by JP Bill / January 6, 2014 10:28 PM PST
Collapse -
nope
by James Denison / January 6, 2014 10:47 PM PST

that's a link to your post. What I did say was conditional.

"I personally welcome Global Warming if it comes, I'll be planting palm trees in Maryland and be happy as can be about that."

Sadly, I seem headed for disappointment.

Collapse -
No
by Josh K / January 6, 2014 9:52 PM PST

It's been explained many, many times. That you continue to pretend you didn't hear it doesn't change that.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?