Mac Hardware forum

General discussion

Airport won't connect to password protected networks

by synthetikz / September 17, 2008 7:56 PM PDT

THE BACKGROUND:
I recently signed up for AT&T u-verse. As part of that service they provide you with a 2wire router. Initially my MacBook Pro (running the most recent osx) was connecting to this router fine. But, because i like the interface of my Airport Extreme router better, i decided to run a router-behind-router setup, to set up a network with my airport extreme. In other words, i ran a hardwire out of the 2wire router into my Airport Extreme, thereby allowing the airport extreme to disperse wireless signal as well. Therefore, there are currently 2 wireless networks in my house, one being dispersed from the 2wire router, and the other from my airport extreme. Both wireless networks are password protected in WEP-2.

THE PROBLEM:
Now i can no longer connect to the 2wire router. Everytime i try to do so, the system prompts me to type in the WEP password for the 2 wire router and upon doing so, it indicates that the password failed, the connection timed out, or that the connection failed. I've monitored the network preference pane as i'm trying to connect, and it invariably indicates that there is "NO IP ADDRESS" for the 2wire network. In fact, i can no longer connect to ANY OTHER wireless network which is password protected. It always gives me this same dilemma. The only password protected network i CAN connect to is my airport extreme network.

Does anyone know what the hell is going on here? I'm completely baffled. I've gone so far as to delete all preferred networks from my system. Delete all network related passwords in the keychain access. and also to delete my network related preferences in Library ---> Preferences, to remove any 'confusion' the system might be having, but to no avail.

Can someone please help me here?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Airport won't connect to password protected networks
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Airport won't connect to password protected networks
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Never heard of WEP-2
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 17, 2008 8:09 PM PDT
Collapse -
correction: WPA-2 (not WEP-2)
by synthetikz / September 18, 2008 7:00 AM PDT
In reply to: Never heard of WEP-2

my mistake. my routers are both encrypted in WPA-2 and not WEP-2. don't know where my mind was.

Collapse -
Remember
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 18, 2008 10:05 AM PDT

Some devices just don't work on WPA-2. It's why you see our forum stick and a quick take back on the initial advice.

Collapse -
I've got a 2Wire myself
by tleMega / September 18, 2008 10:23 AM PDT

But I didn't like it's routing capabilities since I already had a faster 802.11n router in use. The 2Wire only supported up to 802.11g. So, I came across two solutions:

1. Plug in the external router to the 2Wire and leave the 2Wire's routing capabilities ON. This will work so long as you do not try to connect to the 2Wire with anything but the external router. Or else you get into trouble. But, if you want to use something like Back To My Mac, you're stuck because having two routers actively working together will cause a dual-NAT problem which I have had. All connections to the internet go through as you would expect though; it just blocks some protocols because of this setup. My advice? Go to the Homeportal Management page with the AT&T branding. Just follow one of the recommended links, which is listed here. There should be a few pictures of the Home Network pane that I am talking about. Once you find it, go to the right hand window, and click on disable wireless. Once done, your 2Wire will stop broadcasting and you can use the external router exclusively, which should be better. You don't want two router broadcasting simultaneously if they are using the same connection (unless you are using a range booster which is different). At least, that is what I have been led to believe.
2. This method is what I use and recommend over the easier setup. Via some instructions such as these, I set the 2Wire into bridge mode. This disables all routing functions of the 2Wire gateway, making it just a modem, which is all I wanted out of it. Then you setup PPPoE on the other router, which should work. If those instructions don't work for you, try Google. Keep in mind that you may have to reset everything to get the modem to go back to factory/default settings, which is what I have had to do in the past. That can be a pain if you have to use the AT&T software disk to make it work (it's unstable and gave my old PC the BSOD).

*Note: you are going to want to hardwire your machine to the 2Wire in order to modify anything. Messing with the WiFi settings over WiFi isn't gonna work so well! Wink You'll have to take the external router out of the picture until the 2Wire is configured to your liking.

Now my point is, nothing should be able to access the internet through the 2Wire if you have connected an external router to it, from my understanding. It doesn't work. The 2Wire should be connected to the Extreme and only that. If your MacBook can connect through the AirPort Extreme, then we know that both devices work to a certain degree. That's good. If your MacBook cannot connect to the 2Wire, this too is normal and should be expected. But if it can't connect to other WiFi networks outside of your home setup, then you may have a problem, but this does not make any sense really. The MacBook should be able to connect to any properly encrypted networks if all the gear is setup correctly. You may have to experiment some more I'm afraid. Normally I'd think that removing the keychains and saved passwords would help, but if it doesn't, who knows where the problem lies? If you find that the problem is really only with the 2Wire signal, then forget about it and setup your network to work around the 2Wire as I explained earlier. Then you should be good to go. If this keeps up, try going to an Apple Store and have a Genius look at it. Their WiFi is usually open, but they probably have stuff in the back to test everything. Still, if it can work with the Extreme, then it probably works, and something else is wrong with these other networks you may have tried...

Well, good luck, and let us know what happens.

-BMF

Collapse -
didn't work
by synthetikz / September 20, 2008 8:44 PM PDT

it's interesting. everyone else in my home can connect to both networks. i however can only connect to the airport extreme network, even after trying your advice. above and beyond that i still cannot connect to any other password-protected network (other than my airport extreme at home).

can anybody help me?

Collapse -
can anybody help me?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 20, 2008 10:52 PM PDT
In reply to: didn't work

Maybe a move to plain WPA, broadcasting SSID and no other tinkering will work but I can't see where you did that. I know that WPA and Apple hardware works in that setup but do not have your 2wire router to test with. Again, I've found failures with WPA-2. You are free to repeat my findings.
Bob

Collapse -
Please help me too
by jazoodle / January 4, 2009 3:09 AM PST
In reply to: can anybody help me?

If you are able to figure out your troubles with your apple, please help me. I have three MacBooks and one MacBook Pro. My husband has a Dell and I have have PC desktop. My son's Macbook works fine but my daughter's and youngest son's won't connect to the Internet at home even though they did before. Suddenly, they just quit connecting to the Internet but the airport says it's connected to the Internet. I have spent hours with tech support but to no avail. My daughter's won't even turn on. She bought her's from Best Buy but we have just learned they won't do anything because they claim it is software. I have never been so disgusted in a computer company before. We have used Dells for years in the past and whenever there is trouble, they either come out to fix it or fix it within two days. The apples have been out of commission for weeks and both apple and best buy say it's not the computer hardware! We got macs so there wouldn't be all the hassle with programing and settings but this is worse than a pc. Does anyone have any suggestions? One of the Macs was purchased in August with a best buy warranty which is a joke. Best Buy shouldn't sell apples because don't know anything about them. Apple Care doesn't seem to be much better because I've spent nearly 10 hours trying to get my son's computer on the network and no one seems to understand why. The router has been updated. I suspect this is an apple excuse because the other macs and pcs connect to the network. There are pages of problems like mine so I have to think there is some glitch with apple they are not revealing. The computer with apple care has been in the apple store for about a week but I haven't heard. Best Buy won't fix the computer unless she pays even though we bought the warranty. The salespeople lied to us and said it would be covered for everything except theft. Any suggestions?

Collapse -
Let's see what we have in this discussion.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 4, 2009 3:36 AM PST
In reply to: Please help me too

I see we talked about SSID, the security and a little more.

For the length of your post I can't find those details. Can you share how your network is set up?
Bob

Collapse -
The MacBook that will not turn on
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / January 4, 2009 8:17 AM PST

is that the Airport that will not turn on or is it the MacBook itself that will not turn on?

Even with no software at all installed, the MacBook should still make an attempt to start. Have you tried the Apple Hardware Test CD?

As Bob said, we need a whole lot more information before we can even begin to sort out your problem
P

Collapse -
mac bood
by jazoodle / January 4, 2009 11:52 PM PST

Best Buy replaced the hard drive on my daughter's mac but she can't get online at home.

My son's computer is still at apple.

We have a Netgear Hub and D Link router. We have three access points to cover any voids in the house.

I wonder if our problem has something to do with a password protected network. They seem to work in Best Buy and Apple which are not password protected. Yes, I know the password as I have entered it over and over with no problem.

I am suspicious there is some sort of glitch in the software where it can't recognize it because it forgets the password. Maybe there is a glitch in the airport card because I've read about the trouble many have had with it.

The hardware has been checked and according to the phone tech with Apple, it's fine. He didn't know what it could be because they apparently did everything possible in terms of trouble shooting.

I reloaded the operating system, updated and the computer wouldn't connect. The settings have been configured a few times. The IP address has been released. The router has been rebooted over and over. Safari has been reset and the cache dumped. If there were something wrong on my end with the router, there would be a problem with all the computers. Oddly, the macs were on our Internet in the past but suddenly in December, two wouldn't connect.

Collapse -
Try this
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / January 5, 2009 3:12 AM PST
In reply to: mac bood

Go to System Preferences/network/airport/TCP/IP/configure IPV6 and turn to OFF.

Some 3rd party wireless routers do not support IPV6 just yet.

The password that you put in, is it in HEX or is it just an ordinary word?

P

Collapse -
Worked for me
by dbfitzgerald / October 22, 2010 1:25 PM PDT
In reply to: Try this

Thanks for the tip. It worked like a charm for me.

Collapse -
MAC address
by JaayRrr / September 18, 2010 1:43 PM PDT

Just a quick note, have just had problem allowing access to my internet on my guest networks. As they were on the guest network I figured that I wouldn't need to add their MAC address. Wrong because the router still blocked access.
So try adding the MAC addresses.

Collapse -
MAC Not Automatically Recognizing ATT 2wire Router at Home
by jclabella / November 1, 2011 9:17 PM PDT

Hi -

Collapse -
Entering Speedtest.net on the search bar,
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / November 2, 2011 3:17 AM PDT

I assume you mean the address bar, does not give you the speed between your computer and your router.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

The Samsung RF23M8090SG

One of the best French door fridges we've tested

A good-looking fridge with useful features like an auto-filling water pitcher and a temperature-adjustable "FlexZone" drawer. It was a near-flawless performer in our cooling tests.