Computer Help forum

General discussion

Airport ? password won't work / won't connect to internet

MacBook 2.16 GHz Intel running system 10.5.8

At a friends' house where I've used their Airport network before ? but have reloaded and updated my system since then ? and just could not connect to their network.

Sometimes, it would tell me that the password was invalid. Then it seemed to connect to the network, but would say that it was not connected to the internet.

My computer was literally sitting right next to theirs ? basically the same MacBook (I think), but running 10.4.11 ? that was connected to the network and the internet without a problem. And, back home, I'm on my own network.

Not a big deal, but it was frustrating and kind of weird. I'm lacking some specifics about their setup, but are there any suggestions for something I'm missing or doing wrong?

Thanks.

? Bram

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Airport ? password won't work / won't connect to internet
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Airport ? password won't work / won't connect to internet
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
This happens more often when

In reply to: Airport ? password won't work / won't connect to internet

The wifi network is using WEP.

We only have to let the owners get frustrated until they move to WPA.

Collapse -
Re: This happens more often when

In reply to: This happens more often when

Thanks ? so it's because they've got an old setup (that I think their ISP put together), and my machine's recent upgrade means that I can no longer access it?

Collapse -
Been discussed many times.

In reply to: Re: This happens more often when

WEP has issues where with simple tools you can get knocked down, hijacked, swatted, interferred with and the list is too long to cover every time it is asked. WEP is not an ISP issue. It is up to us to research and move to at least WPA. Hiding the SSID is BAD ADVICE as some machines will not connect or stay connected. I can only guess that those in the house call computer repair industry would suggest hiding the SSID today.

It's just like that glass salesman with his pellet gun.
Bob

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.