Mac Hardware forum

General discussion

Airport Express wireless networking question

by minimalist / January 1, 2009 2:35 AM PST

A friend of mine has the following situation:

In the living room he has a stereo hooked up to a single Airport Express (the only wireless router in the house.) In the sunroom he has an iMac Core 2 Duo running the latest version of Tiger hooked up directly to a DSL modem. Itunes recognizes this Airport express and successfully streams music to it. WiFi devices connect to this network but won't connect to the internet even though internet sharing is activated under the iMac's system preferences.

Are there some tweaks in the settings that will make this work or does he absolutely need another Airport Express connected to the DSL modem?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Airport Express wireless networking question
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Airport Express wireless networking question
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Let me share this.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 1, 2009 3:30 AM PST

Every time someone tries to avoid the classic setup of Internet to router to machine setup that we all know about they complain about issues of reliability, speed and setup "hardness."

Let's stick with tried and true and stick a router between that modem and that Tiger.
Bob

Collapse -
I kind of figured as much.
by minimalist / January 1, 2009 5:23 AM PST
In reply to: Let me share this.

I am going to suggest that he first try moving the DSL modem over the the stereo area and just let the Mac connect to the network wirelessly.

If that doesn't work I guess he's going to need two airport expresses.

Collapse -
That should work
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / January 1, 2009 9:16 AM PST

As Bob says, just put the Airport Express between the modem and the network and you should be good to go.

Don't forget to remind your friend to turn off the Internet Sharing option when he has this arrangement in place
P

Collapse -
(NT) will do. Thanks!
by minimalist / January 1, 2009 10:24 AM PST
In reply to: That should work
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!