HolidayBuyer's Guide

Mac Hardware forum

General discussion

Airport express for radio and music

by tonymaniscalco / May 10, 2008 2:04 PM PDT

I want to set up an Airport Express in conjunction with my Airport Extreme so that I can listen to iTunes in my kitchen through a radio. The guy at the Apple store told me it would almost set up itself but I have a few questions?

I've plugged the Express into the wall and it is now flashing amber. He (the guy in the Apple store) said it would find my wireless network and connect itself. It has not. My guess is that I have to do a little set up. Do I use the set up disk that came with the Express? If I do I'm afraid it will disrupt or overide the current wireless set up or create another wireless network when I want them to work in conjunction with one another.

The wireless network is set up on a 17" aluminum laptop running system 10.4.11 I don't know if I'm making sense with this but any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Tony

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Airport express for radio and music
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Airport express for radio and music
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Use the setup disk
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / May 10, 2008 2:36 PM PDT

You can always sort it out afterwards if it goes wrong

P

Collapse -
Me? Sort it out?
by tonymaniscalco / May 10, 2008 2:47 PM PDT
In reply to: Use the setup disk

A smarter guy might be able to sort it out. It took me four hours to get the wireless going in the first place. The guy I hired did it in about 15 minutes. I'm just not that tech savvy. I'll try the set up disk if I don't get a little more advice and keep my fingers crossed.

Collapse -
Requirements
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / May 10, 2008 11:32 PM PDT
In reply to: Me? Sort it out?

The most basic requirement for this idea to work is that the existing wireless signal reaches the place where the Airport Express is plugged in.

There is a good manual, with pictures, located here which I suggest that you take a look at.

Using the setup disk, which installs the Airport Express software and AirTunes, you well the AE to connect to your existing Wireless network.

Do you have an Apple Wireless Extreme Base station or some other Wireless device supplying the existing wireless service?

P

Collapse -
Airport setup Utility
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / May 10, 2008 11:36 PM PDT
In reply to: Requirements

If you are already using wireless, you should have this application in the Utilities folder of your Mac.

Once again, I encourage you to read the manual, it really is well written and in plain english.

P

Collapse -
Back at it
by tonymaniscalco / May 15, 2008 2:23 PM PDT
In reply to: Airport setup Utility

I had to leave this alone after your last message - got busy. But now I'm ready to start again. I have a question which brings me to my original fear. In the Airport Utility, both the Extreme and the Express show up as expected. When I click to set up the Express, it asks me "Are you sure you want to switch wireless networks?" I don't want to switch really. I just want to add functionality but my guess is that I have to switch to set up right?

I want these to work together but do I set them up separately to get to that point? Sorry to be so naive but I really don't want to mess this up.

Thanks,
Tony

Collapse -
Have you read the manual that I
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / May 15, 2008 9:49 PM PDT
In reply to: Back at it

pointed out to you?

As I said, it is well written and contains a scenario exactly like the one you have.

Take a look at my post, a couple back from this.

Let us know when you have read it.

P

Collapse -
I did and it worked
by tonymaniscalco / May 16, 2008 3:53 PM PDT

I did use the manual you pointed to and it was much better than the one that came with the unit. Much more detail and the pictures were very helpful. Thanks so much.

I set it up successfully and was able to play iTunes via the Express but now it seems I have two wireless networks. It appears I need to set it up as a "client" to my Extreme through AirPort Admin Utility but when I try to do that I get a dialogue box that says Airport Admin Utility does not support this wireless device and recommends I install the software on the supplied disk or download the latest updates from Apple.com. I've done both and now the Express shows up intermittently. I have to unplug it and start it up again to make it show up. Then, without warning it disappears.

I think the problem is the download. The Admin Utility that seemed like the right upgrade is called Admin Utility for Graphite and Snow. Can I trash that and reinstall from the disk to get back to where I started? Also, should I reset the Express and start over with that as well?

Thanks,
Tony

Collapse -
Well done!
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / May 16, 2008 11:08 PM PDT
In reply to: I did and it worked

The utility that you downloaded is for the earlier base stations. They looked like Domes and were either grey (graphite) or white (Snow)

You can see the shape Here

If you have the one on the right, that utility "should" work. If you don't then start over with both the airports and work through it again.
Install from the disk is fine.
Resetting would not hurt either.

Note that with decent instructions, you are not such a technophile after all. Happy

Good Luck

P

Collapse -
Well but...
by tonymaniscalco / May 17, 2008 2:20 AM PDT
In reply to: Well done!

You've been a big help- Thank you

I started over with the set-up:

Reset the express to factory settings
Threw away the AirPort Admin Utility
Re-installed the software from the disk supplied with the Express

Everything set up fine but these are my issues:

A) I no longer have the AirPort Admin Utility in my Utilities folder. I thought it would come back when I reinstalled the software. I think I need it to make this thing work properly and to assign the Express as a client. Since I downloaded the wrong one before, can you recommend the appropriate download? I can't seem to sort it out on the Apple site.

B) I can no longer switch to the Express and stream music from iTunes (that's the little box in the lower right of iTunes) and sometimes the little box doesn't show up. Do you know if the AirPort Admin Utility with help with that?

Thanks again,
Tony

Collapse -
Well there goes your weekend!
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / May 17, 2008 7:15 AM PDT

You can download the Airport Utility from Here and there is a nice tutorial Here

That should keep you busy for a while Happy

P

Collapse -
There is text in the previous post
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / May 17, 2008 7:16 AM PDT

I hit return instead of tab

P

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

The Samsung RF23M8090SG

One of the best French door fridges we've tested

A good-looking fridge with useful features like an auto-filling water pitcher and a temperature-adjustable "FlexZone" drawer. It was a near-flawless performer in our cooling tests.