Mac OS forum

General discussion

airport doesn't show up in network preferences

by freewrite / October 10, 2009 3:27 AM PDT

I recently got a new HD and RAM for a friend's 2007 MacBook 2GHz and firewired everything over from an iBook running Tiger after installing Snow Leopard [and updating everything] on the 2007 Macbook. Everything seems fine except Airport doesn't show up at all in Network Preferences: I get the little greyed out Airport icon in the menu bar clicking on it produces a drop down list that reads "airport is not configured" and below that "Network Preferences". Clicking on "Network Preferences" opens the appropriate system preferences but again there is no airport option anywhere. I can connect via ethernet. Airport was working using the previous HD and show up as present when I check System Profiler. Is there a way I can totally remove and start over with the Network Preferences without clean installing? Or any other suggestions would be much appreciated?

Thanks

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: airport doesn't show up in network preferences
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: airport doesn't show up in network preferences
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Try this first,
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / October 10, 2009 6:26 AM PDT

go to the Network System preferences pane.
At the bottom of the window where you expect the Airport to appear, there is a "+" & a "-" sign
Click the + sign.
You may have to supply and Admin password to unlock the preference pane.
You should get a drop down that asks you to select the interface.
It probably says Airport already, but if it doesn't, use the dropdown arrows at the end of the Interface field.
Choose Airport, put a name, Airport, in the Service name field and click Create.

You should now have an Airport interface in the left hand window.

Let us know how you got on

P

Collapse -
works!
by dondrup / October 10, 2009 11:49 AM PDT
In reply to: Try this first,

Thank you. Temporary blindspot didn't allow me to see the +|- down there Silly

Now I have a problem connecting wirelessly with the accurs

Collapse -
How to,
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / October 11, 2009 12:09 AM PDT
In reply to: works!

1. Using your web browser, access the 2Wire modem and go to the wireless section. You will need to find the IP address from whatever information came with the modem.

172.16.0.1 - 192.168.1.254 - 192.168.0.1 are three possible addresses.

Just put one of the addresses into the url line of your browser, no http://; just the numbers, and if you have it right, you will be take to the home page of the modem/router.

In the wireless section, change the channel from auto to whatever channel you want.
In the security section, change the security to WPA

Let us know how you get on

P

Collapse -
re: how to
by freewrite / October 11, 2009 3:51 AM PDT
In reply to: How to,

Thanks very much. I was able to make the necessary changes, but still no luck connecting to the 2Wire with Airport. iPod touch still connects fine. I talked to an Apple Support tech [using the complementary 90-day applecare for my new MacBook which also has this connection problem] and he said it is all the modems fault but? the modem was in existence before Snow Leopard, shouldn't the developers have tried to get all modems working with Snow? Or perhaps it is a chicken/egg situation.

~ Stephen

Collapse -
A follow up?
by freewrite / October 11, 2009 7:13 AM PDT
In reply to: How to,

I finally talked to the ISP and they walked me through some changes that work with Snow Leopard.

went to the modem page with my web browser using 192.168.1.254

Changed the network name
Changed the Channel from 3 to 6
Changed the encryption key [password]
Changed the web security from WEP-OPEN to WPA-PSK

all set and learned a lot.

Collapse -
(NT) good job!
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / October 11, 2009 8:27 AM PDT
In reply to: A follow up?
Collapse -
doesnt work for me ):
by makseaton / June 15, 2014 1:52 PM PDT
In reply to: Try this first,

Ive done everything you said, except when i go to that menu and there is the + and -, i click on the + and airport doesnt show up. i really need to do this because i have to share my internet with my iphone for an upcoming trip

Collapse -
Instead of hijacking a 5 year old thread,
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / June 15, 2014 9:46 PM PDT
In reply to: doesnt work for me ):

start a new one of your own with ALL the details.

We have no idea what you did before you had this problem

P

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GIVEAWAY

We are giving away 'Black Panther' swag!

Four lucky readers will be taking home *Marvel*ous "Black Panther" prizes, including magazines autographed by the King of Wakanda himself! Giveaway ends Feb. 25, 2018.