Attention: The forums will be placed on read only mode this Saturday (Oct. 20, 2018)

During this outage (6:30 AM to 8 PM PDT) the forums will be placed on read only mode. We apologize for this inconvenience. Click here to read details

Mac OS forum

Resolved Question

Airport Card?

by ssalvid123 / September 1, 2011 8:05 AM PDT

I have a Mac OS X v10.6
the only problem with it is that it does not have an airport card and I don't even know where to begin looking for the right one

ssalvid123 has chosen the best answer to their question. View answer
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Airport Card?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Airport Card?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Best Answer chosen by ssalvid123

Collapse -
You don't have a Mac OS X v10.6
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / September 1, 2011 9:15 AM PDT
In reply to: Airport Card?

you have a Mac that is running OS X 10.6

Collapse -
Model Name
by ssalvid123 / September 2, 2011 6:28 AM PDT

Model name: Mac Pro
Model Identifier: MacPro 1,1
Processor name: Dual-Core intel xeon

Collapse -
If I recall correctly,
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / September 2, 2011 9:48 AM PDT
In reply to: Model Name

and I'm sure someone will either confirm or deny this, the MacPro does not come with Wireless capabilities, it is something that has to be built to order.
In other words, if you did not order it when the MacPro was built, it cannot be easily retrofitted.

Collapse -
Not until Early 2009
by Jimmy Greystone / September 2, 2011 10:38 AM PDT
In reply to: If I recall correctly,

Not until the Early 2009 model, IIRC, did airport on the Mac Pro become standard. The OP has the original 2007 model.

If you went to some AASP in the area, they would probably be willing to order and sell one to you. I'd expect to pay about $100US. I don't recall it being particularly onerous to install -- my workstation at work is the exact same model -- but then I may well have just ripped out the stuff I needed to in order to make room. It's been several months, so details are a bit fuzzy.

If you wanted to add about an extra $100US onto that, give or take, you could probably get Apple or someone else to actually install it for you. The benefit to that, is if something goes wrong, you get to go back to them and tell them to fix it. And if the whole system goes up in a puff of electrical smoke, then they get to replace it.

Collapse -
Was exactly what I needed.
by ssalvid123 / September 5, 2011 11:24 AM PDT
In reply to: Not until Early 2009

Thank you, that is exactly what I had to do... I'm very picky about the computers I get so when I got this one, I thought that it would be easy, But it is something that I don't mind doing

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!