Mac Hardware forum

Question

Airplay won't work through one of my Wi-Fi Networks

by markw10 / February 24, 2012 5:29 PM PST

I'm trying to use Airplay and have an AppleTV and an iPhone 4S. The way my home network is set up is I have the main Wi-Fi network which is connected to my cable modem and is using an Airport Base Station Extreme. I have an additional home network which is in another part of the house where the AEBS does not work as well. That network is running on a Cisco/Linksys E3000.

The problem is if I connect both the Apple TV and my iPhone to the main network using the AEBS Airplay works fine. If I connect both devices to the other Wi-Fi network it doesn't work. I had the idea that as long as both devices are on the same Wi-Fi network it should work fine so this puzzles me. Since the Linksys E3000 network is stronger in that part of the house I would prefer to use that Wi-Fi network on the AppleTV and the iPhone.

Does Airplay require a AEBS? I had the idea it should work on any router.

Is there something I have to change in the settings for the E3000 to have it work with Airplay?

Thanks for your help.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Airplay won't work through one of my Wi-Fi Networks
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Airplay won't work through one of my Wi-Fi Networks
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Clarification Request
Are these two separate networks or
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / February 24, 2012 10:47 PM PST

does the Linksys just extend the existing AEBS wireless network?

Where does the Linksys get its data from?

Airplay does not require an AEBS to work.

The AEBS has a neat function on it that allows it to chain together other Wireless access points. It only works with Airport Express and functions but allowing the AE to connect to the AEBS wifi signal and rebroadcast it.
This does away with the need to run ethernet cable to the location of the second wireless point, which I assume you have done, as the AE just plugs into an electrical wall outlet.

Answers to the first two questions will probably determine where you go from here.

P

Collapse -
Networks and AirPlay
by markw10 / February 25, 2012 8:19 AM PST

Both networks are distinct. My 2nd router, the Cisco/Linksys E3000 is plugged into a Gigabit hub and that Gigabit hub is connected by wire to the AEBS that's in the basement of the house. The way it is set up is they are treated as two distinct networks. For example I have a printer that's hooked to the AEBS and any computer connected to the AEBS can see and print to it but computers connected to the Linksys E3000 can't see it. I would say this is what's causing the problem but yet if both the AppleTV and iPhone are connected to the E3000 it seems that even though it is distinct from the AEBS that it would not cause a problem.
Now someone has suggested I try a firmware on the E3000 and not sure if it will fix it but it shouldn't hurt anything. I like what you described about the Airport Express. The problem is the home office is in the basement where the AEBS is and my wife also works in that office so that's where most of the computers and printers are. The reason I have the 2nd wifi network is that the AEBS signal does reach to the main level of the house but is not strong in all sections of the house so for good coverage and speed I put a 2nd wifi network there for devices such as iPhones and iPads and of course the AppleTV.

Collapse -
Wireless network.
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / February 25, 2012 9:57 PM PST
In reply to: Networks and AirPlay

This is how we set up our Internet Cafe at the hospital where I work.

Incoming Cable > Cable Modem > PIX501 (Firewall, Router and DHCP Server) > ethernet to various locations in the hospital.
At each of the locations there is a Linksys Wireless Router.
Ethernet Cable, from the PIX, goes into one of the ethernet ports on the back of the Linksys. (NOT the Internet In port)
The Linksys is configured to have a Static IP address, its DHCP router capability is turned OFF, the SSID is whatever you want.

Repeat the process for all the other locations in the Hospital, changing the SSID to reflect the portion of the network that they are connected to, and you have yourself a network where everything can access everything but, the network is really just one big one.
Alternatively, make all the SSID's the same and you have exactly the same network but only one name.

The Linksys Wireless Router is now, effectively, just a Wireless Access Point. (We went that route because funds for the project were limited and Wireless Access Points are more expensive than Wireless Routers)
Users joining the wireless network get their IP address from the PIX.

With only one extra router, this method would make your two networks into one and allow everything to communicate nicely.

Our hospital does not charge patients for any of their stay, surgery, rehab and follow up visits, hence the shortage of funds for this type of project.

That help?

P

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Re: Airplay won't work through one of my Wi-Fi Networks
by cooldaddyu / July 10, 2012 5:33 AM PDT

I have a telus actiontec modem/router/optik tv gateway and could not get airplay to work. My wireless setup was using WPA/WPA2 encryption. The home sharing only worked with my PC and Apple TV when they were connected to ethernet so I knew there was something going on with the wireless side and Apple TV.

I disabled WPS in the advanced wireless setup and Aiplay instanly started working. I have seen WPS as an option on some Linksis/Cisco home routers. I am not sure what WPS accomplishes in terms of security if you already have WPA/WPA2 encryption, but I am guessing not a lot on a home network.

Hope this helps.

Collapse -
Nailed it
by Captorian / December 24, 2013 2:18 AM PST

Disabled WPS on my Telus router - airplay working again! Thanks cooldaddyu!

Collapse -
This is good to read. Thanks for sharing.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 24, 2013 2:46 AM PST
In reply to: Nailed it

With your permission, I'll add this to the sticky notes as something to try on other makes.
Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Does BMW or Volvo do it best?

Pint-size luxury and funky style

Shopping for a new car this weekend? See how the BMW X2 stacks up against the Volvo XC40 in our side-by-side comparison.