Networking & Wireless forum

Resolved Question

Airplay problem with wireless extender

by neilpdj / July 8, 2012 9:30 PM PDT

I've recently purchased a TP Link TL-WA830RE wireless range extender and set it up with my BT HomeHub (version 2). It took me a while, but now they are working well together. My problem is, that when my iPad is connected to the network via the range extender, I can no longer access it's airplay features to send things to my apple TV.

The network is set up as follows:

Main router = BTHomeHub 2 (DHCP)
Wireless repeater = TP Link TL-WA830RE (static IP)

iMac (Lion - all updated) connected to BT HomeHub via ethernet
Apple TV (V2 - software up to date) connected using ethernet to BT HomeHub via TP Link AV200 Powerline adapters
iPads/iPhones etc connect to TP Link Wireless range extender, which connects wirelessly to the BT HomeHub.

If I disconnect the AppleTV from the ethernet and put it on the range extender wireless, then my Airplay works again, but AppleTV can't see iTunes on the iMac. It appears as if the two networks are separate and things only talk to each other if they are on either the HomeHub or the TPLink, but not some of each (which is what I need!)

Can anyone suggest anything I can try to resolve this issue?

Thanks

neilpdj has chosen the best answer to their question. View answer
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Airplay problem with wireless extender
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Airplay problem with wireless extender
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Best Answer chosen by neilpdj

Collapse -
I find repeaters are trouble.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 9, 2012 1:35 AM PDT

I have however used those powerline things to get the network to another place then a simple ROUTER AS A WAP (google that!) at the location that needs it.

At no time will I ever field or suggest an extender.
Bob

Collapse -
Problem solved!
by neilpdj / July 9, 2012 5:38 AM PDT

Bob,
You're a genius and a kind man for taking the time to share your knowledge. I tried your suggestion of changing the repeater to a WAP and linking it to the network via the power line adapters and everything is working perfectly!
I do now have 2 different wireless networks and need to select the strongest one depending on my location, but I can live with that - unless there's a clever way of fixing that too so the original home hub router and new WAP are both as one?
Thanks again.

Collapse -
Not so much a genius but
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 9, 2012 5:45 AM PDT
In reply to: Problem solved!

If you call someone that learns by going with what works, I'll take that.

OK, Windows won't switch automatically to the best connection unless it loses it and is set to automatically connect.

WiFi roaming is not something that is well done in this world. I do know more but what I know does not apply to Windows today. Sorry but try naming the access points different names and try the automatically connect in Windows.
Bob

Collapse -
Happy days.
by neilpdj / July 9, 2012 8:01 AM PDT

I'm all Apple, but not to worry.

Thanks again.
Neil.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 51,912 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,498 discussions
icon
Laptops 20,411 discussions
icon
Security 30,882 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 21,253 discussions
icon
Windows 10 1,672 discussions
icon
Phones 16,494 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,855 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 15,504 discussions

REVIEW

Meet the drop-resistant Moto Z2 Force

The Moto Z2 Force is really thin, with a fast processor and great battery life. It can survive drops without shattering.