Speakeasy forum

General discussion

Airplane stops in for a burger

by SteveGargini / December 14, 2004 3:48 PM PST

ROSELAND, Indiana (AP) -- A single-engine airplane lost power and made an emergency landing Tuesday in the middle of a bustling business district, knocking over a utility pole and nearly colliding with traffic.

Full story with photo

I think the pilot got hungry myself. Happy

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Airplane stops in for a burger
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Airplane stops in for a burger
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Maybe he needed to gas up? :)
by Dragon / December 15, 2004 12:25 AM PST
Collapse -
If it wasn't for the wing damage
by SteveGargini / December 15, 2004 7:26 AM PST

I guess he could have gassed up, had a quick cheese burger, and took off again, Happy Depending on the width and length of the street. But then again, there was a mechanical fault, so I guess they will take the wings off, and transport the plane back to the maintenance hanger.

Collapse -
Along with all my other interests I like to read or hear
by Ziks511 / December 15, 2004 10:08 AM PST

about WW2 and the story above is slightly reminiscent of one I heard at the local aviation history museum near the neighboring city of Hamilton, Ontario. Apparently at the end of the war they were pressing every pilot available to ferry soldiers home in all those DC3's we Americans had built and Lend Leased to Britain and perhaps Canada as well. An ex fighter pilot made a hot approach to Uplands airport in Ottawa, a tight circuit of the field with 90 degree banks, a steep approach ending in a jarring impact with the runway. The plane bounced about 25 feet in the air and the pilot jammed on full power to go round again.

The cargo and passenger officer stood up shakily and said "Well, I hope everyone got off okay. Next stop Downsview and Toronto."

Rob B

Collapse -
That under-carriage took a hell of a wallop
by SteveGargini / December 15, 2004 2:44 PM PST

That plane must have been build really well to have taken that sort of impact without severe damage.
I gather it was 2nd time lucky Sad

Collapse -
It was a DC3, their strength is legendary.
by Ziks511 / December 16, 2004 4:40 PM PST

The local air museum has one. Its like 50,000 rivets flying in tight formation, especially around the U/C.

Rob B

Collapse -
Steve and any other aircraft nuts out there.
by Ziks511 / December 18, 2004 2:12 AM PST

At that same aircraft place in Mt.Hope, Ontario, most of their exhibits are flying exhibits, including one of 2 flyable Avro Lancasters in the world. Experienced Lanc pilots are rather long in the tooth, so the pilots are all airline types with mostly tricycle gear experience rather than tail dragger. The approach and landing styles for the two types are very different. A newly qualifying pilot was trying to do a 3 point landing which basically involves flying the aircraft into a carefully judged stall at about 1 foot elevation so that the Main U/C wheels and the tail wheel touch at the same time.

The pilot on the other hand misjudged just about everything and stalled it from 50 feet and broke the Left Main Undercarriage bearer, an enormous aluminum plate 3 inches thick and 6 feet long by 2 feet wide. The Lanc was out of commission for the rest of the year but a Machine shop voluteered to replace it with a newly machined part to original specs. Probable cost $150,000 or more but material and work donated. Its a great museum and worth the visit.

http://www.warplane.com/

Rob Boyter

Collapse -
I got this e-mail back from a person
by SteveGargini / December 18, 2004 5:40 AM PST

who wanted to know about the Lancaster that my uncle had to jump from before the aircraft blew up.

Hello Steve,

I am verry pleased to hear of you , and that E.J. Cargini was youre uncle.
The reason why i am looking for information about the aircraft and crew is
that
we located the crashsite in the Northern part of Holland.(Bergen NH).
Parts of the aircraft are on display in the village museum.
I am a member of the local war museum of the village called Egmond aan Zee,
who is
trying to complete the story behind youre uncle's lancaster.(book about LM
333).
I am still missing some information like, why did the aircraft blew up,
backround story's of
the crewmembers , and pictures of the crew. etc, etc. Can you help me with
this information ?.
Two of the crew are buried at the war cemetery at the village of Bergen
(F.A.Preston, Pilot, age 22, and
H.Cadwick, Flight Engineer, age 23).
And the escapestory's of two of the crew have my full interest,
hope to hear from you, and greetings from Holland.
Cor Prins.

What I was wondering, is the LM 333 Lancaster the same as the Lancaster that you mention.
The aircraft was a large bomber and apparently shook the ground when it passed overhead.
My uncle Eric was kept in a prisoner of war camp in Germany and his weight went down to 6 stone.
He slipped out unnoticed from a line of prisoners and made his his way through thick woods to seek help.
He said it was music to his ears when he heard the sound of yanks talking, in fact he was over the moon.
They looked after him well, and he would sing nothing but praise for you guys out there.
Sadly Eric died from flu some years ago.

Collapse -
Dear Steve: Yes, absolutely, there was only one aircraft
by Ziks511 / December 18, 2004 3:55 PM PST

type called the Lancaster in about 6 versions. It went through several manifestations beginning life as a twin engine bomber called the Manchester with a 24 cylinder liquid cooled engine, the Vulture, which was basically 2 smallish Merlin style engines, one upside down, the other right way up, both driving a common drive shaft. The engine was a disaster, and although the Mancester went to squadron service in Aug 1941 its replacement was already in the building stage. The British were sufficiently for aircraft to hit back at Germany desperate that they used the Manchester on operations and lost a lot to engine failure.

The Lancaster took the Manchester fuselage and wing, slapped an entirely new wing centre section with a nacelle for an extra engine each side of the fuselage. Presto a 4 engine bomber out of a two without having to mess up the factory too much with new tooling and new machines. Slap four Merlins of 1750hp each on the wings and put a new tail with egg-shaped oval fins on the ends, an' Bob's yer Uncle as the Brits said.

Operations with the Lancaster started in Mar 1942 and the Lancaster took part in the 1000 bomber raid at the end of May that year. From that point on it was the choice ride. The Lancaster carried heavy defensive armament 4x.303 cal machine guns in the powered tail turret, 2x303 cal mg in the powered mid upper turret, 2x.303 cal mg in a powered belly turret under the mid upper, and 2x.303 cal mg in a powered nose turret, just above the dome for the bomb aimer. Sometimes the 4x.303 tail turret was up gunned to 2x.50 Brownings for better reach and punch, as was the front turret. Crew was 7 comprising Pilot, Engineer, Navigator, Bomb aimer/Gunner, Wireless operator/Gunner, and the dedicated Mid-upper Gunner and Tail gunner. The only crew member with easy egress (for bailing out) was the Tail gunner who could rotate his turret past 90 degrees, open the turrets back doors, his only minor problem being that he couldn't wear his chute while acting as gunner, so he had to stop, open the back doors, find his parachute in its stowage on the aircraft wall, clip it onto his parachute harness and then rotate and jump. The Mid upper gunner had to find his parachute and open the side door of the aircraft and jump. The cockpit crew had a tougher time of it with one little square hatch in the floor which was hard to fit through with a parachute or climb through a tight tunnel over the top of the wing Mainspar and exit either through the bomb bay or the previously mentioned door.

American casualties from bomber operations were 3 times less because all American aircraft were designed to be easy to get out of. Not so the British.

The Lancaster could and was modified to carry larger and larger bombs first the Bouncing Bomb for the Dam Busters raid at about 4 1/2 tons, then the Tallboy, at nearly 7 tons, and finally the Grand Slam at 11 1/2 tons. They were the most numerous heavy bomber for the RAF, over 7,300 were built.

Comparisons with US aircraft.
Lancaster bombload: 7 tons, B17 bombload: 3 tons, B24 bombload: 4tons. B29 bombload: 10 tons.

Thge RAF had two other 4 engined bombers, the Short Stirling, an ill-conceived and unhappily received aircraft with a short wingspan and in consequence a low service ceiling making it vulderable to light flak, and the Handley Page Halifax, a very happily received aircraft with a better survival rate than the Lanc but less adaptable and with a lesser bomb-load.

And I guarantee it makes the ground shake especially when you consider squadrons of from 15 to 18 a/c all taking off at 20 second intervals and flying off at 200 feet to stay below German radar. Ther is a very good color film called Night Bombers about the Lancaster that I reccommend. Otherwise. how close are you to Toronto, wanna come visit when the Mount Hope airshow is on?

Rob Boyter

Collapse -
Before Chicago built O'Hare, its main airport was Midway.
by Kiddpeat / December 15, 2004 12:39 PM PST

Midway has streets and businesses built right up to the edge of its relatively small boundaries. In fact, the North West landing lights at Midway are located across 55th Street. In the days before jets, Midway accomodated 4 engine passenger planes. One such plane had its brakes fail one day. It went through the Midway fence, across Cicero Ave., and right into a restaurant across the street. Lots of surprised diners that day!

Collapse -
Enjoying a good meal one minute
by SteveGargini / December 15, 2004 2:49 PM PST

and depositing it in their pants the next. Happy

Collapse -
Airplanes = Bo B oggs = ??
by MarciaB / December 18, 2004 7:37 AM PST

This thread made me think of Bo. The last he posted here was this:
http://reviews.cnet.com/5208-6130-0.html?forumID=50&threadID=25316&messageID=283220&tag=
We're on our way....
(weather permitting). Leave tomorrow morning for the annual family reunion in Knoxville this year. (Pontotoc, MS last year).
Overnight Thur in Fort Payne, AL. Friday AM, the Redhead makes a pilgrimmage to the Alabama museum. Then on to Knoxville.
Funny thing, this is the Crocker reunion, but I was born in Knoxville.
Bo

Posted by: Bo Boggs Posted on:06/09/2004 4:57 AM

Has anyone heard from him?
Hope all is well with Bo and family. I miss his posts.

Collapse -
Re: Bo
by John Robie / December 18, 2004 8:11 AM PST

I also liked to read his flying journals.
Haven't read of any accidents involving his airplane.

Looking at his third last post in his profile or Search, just does not sound like Bo at all.

Collapse -
Hi, JR
by MarciaB / December 18, 2004 8:23 AM PST
In reply to: Re: Bo

I agree with your assessment on that post of Bo's. Looks like he might have gotten tired of SE after that. That's ok. Maybe he will come by again some day just to say "Hi!"

Doing some further looking around, I saw this post he made regarding his journal (note it referred to Chapter 28 at that time):
http://reviews.cnet.com/5208-6130-0.html?forumID=50&threadID=23084&messageID=250395&tag=

Since that time, if you go to his website linked in that post, he has put in three more chapters.
http://www.boomspeed.com/_bo_/Index.htm

Looks like he was still up and flyin' in October Happy

I wish him well.

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Thanks Marcia for posting those links.
by John Robie / December 18, 2004 9:07 AM PST
In reply to: Hi, JR
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GIVEAWAY

Turn up the volume with our Apple Byte sweeps!

Two lucky winners will take home the coveted smart speaker that lets Siri help you around your connected house. This sweepstake ends Feb. 25, 2018.