Speakeasy forum

General discussion

Airplane in Hudson River After Failed Takeoff

by internetcox / January 15, 2009 7:24 AM PST

This is to scary!

A US Airways plane was down in the Hudson River on Thursday after attempting to take off from LaGuardia Airport, officials said. US Airways Flight 1549, an Airbus A320, was headed to Charlotte, North Carolina, the Federal Aviation Administration said. A passenger said he was "pretty sure" everybody on the plane got out.

Raw Video: Plane crash victims rescued

http://www.webcastr.com/videos/News/raw-video-plane-crash-victims-rescued.html

http://www.webcastr.com/videos/news/Airplane-in-Hudson-River-After-Failed-Takeoff.html

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Airplane in Hudson River After Failed Takeoff
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Airplane in Hudson River After Failed Takeoff
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
That pilot deserves all our praiose!
by Paul C / January 15, 2009 8:44 AM PST

That was the best piece of airmanship we've seen in a long time. 155 people aboard that plane and no one died? That was a true professional at work.

Collapse -
Said the plane ran into a flock of geese
by Steven Haninger / January 15, 2009 9:11 PM PST

I just wonder what the geese feel about all these planes invading their air space.

Collapse -
Agree...
by EdHannigan / January 15, 2009 11:29 PM PST

I keep hearing them call it a "miracle" landing on the news. Skill and competence more like. Kudos to "Sully" Sullenberger, and his copilot.

Collapse -
Add pilot, from BBC:
by drpruner / January 17, 2009 7:45 AM PST

Chesley B 'Sully' Sullenberger III
Age 57, from Danville, California
Former Air Force fighter pilot
29 years with US Airways
Has own consulting business, Safety Reliability Methods Inc

Sign me up, Sully!

Collapse -
The finest piece of flying I've ever heard of,
by Ziks511 / January 20, 2009 2:40 AM PST
In reply to: Add pilot, from BBC:

to incredibly gently set the aircraft down in such a way as to not let the engines dig in and cause the tail to rise up and the nose to dig in, and to keep the aircraft whole and sitting upright and safe so that everyone could evacuate, many without getting more than their feet and ankles wet. Just a superb piece of work.

Rob

Collapse -
The big fright...
by J. Vega / January 20, 2009 2:54 AM PST

The big fright is digging in a wingtip first, as it may cause the aircraft to "pinwheel".

Collapse -
That was one of the differences between
by drpruner / January 20, 2009 12:33 PM PST
In reply to: The big fright...

the Hudson and either the Atlantic or the New Jersey buildings.
A rescued civilian said he heard the copilot tell Sully 'no one has ever ditched successfully before, but you did it.'
I'm not sure what that means. Plenty pilots have gone into the water in combat, but usually [always?] with poorer results. I have read about Liberators and such going down. That's when you learn 'they don't glide, and they don't float.' Good flying, anyway.

Hey, why are we all getting so excited? "Former fighter pilot": Nobody was shooting at him this time, so it was a piece of cake! Happy

Collapse -
Do planes usually land on the dock/piers?
by JP Bill / January 17, 2009 9:01 PM PST
Collapse -
I don't remember that in the video.
by drpruner / January 18, 2009 12:31 AM PST

One report said the plane drifted downstream on a considerable current until a tugboat got it over to a pier.
One graphic I saw impressed me even more with the crew. The pilot was told to land at a Jersey airport- probably a good call based on the controller's knowledge- but the pilot flew what looked like a planned route to the river; of course he was actually ... ummm ... winging it. Happy (Hey, we can laugh about it now.)

Collapse -
No,but I'll give you a BIG hint..........
by Tony Holmes / January 18, 2009 1:04 AM PST

That video was obviously taken from the Jersey side of the Hudson,most probably from Weehawken.

That's a Concorde owned by British Airways that you saw and it's sitting on a barge which is located at Pier 86.It's awaiting replacement onto it's host which was recently refurbished.

I for one think the USA Military got an excellent return on it's investment when it instilled the skills and disciplines needed for a fighter pilot to achieve this amazing feat.

Collapse -
AND it was dead stick.
by drpruner / January 18, 2009 8:38 AM PST
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

The Samsung RF23M8090SG

One of the best French door fridges we've tested

A good-looking fridge with useful features like an auto-filling water pitcher and a temperature-adjustable "FlexZone" drawer. It was a near-flawless performer in our cooling tests.