Small business & Startups forum

General discussion

air card signal help

by qsally / July 30, 2009 1:49 AM PDT

My desktop air card doesn't work inside our warehouse. Cell phones won't work in there, either. It's a metal building and signals won't go through it. They both work in the office area because of the windows, I guess.

I need some advice on what kind of wireless repeater I should buy. There seem to be so many. A friend said that www.UnsiredSignal.com is where I should buy it, but they carry only Wilson repeaters. Wilsons are more expensive than the zboost. Does Wilson really work that much better?

My warehouse is about 10,000 sq.ft with no partitions. We use ATT and Verizon.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: air card signal help
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: air card signal help
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Ask 3gstore.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 30, 2009 10:54 PM PDT
In reply to: air card signal help

Over at 3gstore com I see antennas and the like. If your aircard does not work outside the building on any of it's six sides then these will not fix it.
Bob

Collapse -
air card & cell phone signal
by qsally / July 31, 2009 2:04 AM PDT
In reply to: Ask 3gstore.

I'm sure you are right but I do have a real good signal outside & pretty decent in the office area. It's my warehouse area - metal bldg. & no windows - where I can't get a signal.

I went ahead and ordered a wireless repeater from www.unwiredsignal.com because I'm sick of this and the guy I talked to several times there to seemed to know what he was talking about and seemed to be a non-bs'r.

I also liked the fact that they've got a real store.

They have a 30 day money back deal and I'm protected anyway since I used my Visa to buy it. It is not cheap, about $800, but if we can use our cell phones and laptops in the warehouse it will be more than worth it.

It is suppose to be here Wednesday and suppose to be easy to get working, so I'll let you know how it works after that.

Collapse -
The repeater sounds like the right fix.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 31, 2009 11:12 PM PDT

Good luck!

Collapse -
cell phone & air card signals
by qsally / August 2, 2009 5:38 AM PDT

Thanks. I've now talked to several people about this. I guess I'm one of the few that had not heard about cellular repeaters.

I have done a lot of research. There are many different brands of repeaters, cell phone antennas, etc. There are a bunch of websites sell them. From my perspective, many of these sites sell them as just a part of a large accessory business and don't seem to know much about them, or they don't want to spend the time to educate me.

I'm not going to spend $550-$1,000 w/o knowing a little something about the different brands, applications, etc. My friend is right about the people at www.unwiredsignal.com being the one to buy from if you buy Wilson. I've talked to them twice & they even make sure you always talk to the same person which is about unheard of these days.

Wilson is just one brand, though. Several others are cheaper. I downloaded the performance test comparrisons from the unwiredsignal site and i'm going to talk to at least a couple of other dealers before i buy. This IS pretty neat stuff to learn about so it's not too bad to check a few more of them out.

Will let you know when i have one up and working.

Collapse -
Wilson.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 5, 2009 11:25 AM PDT

Wow that brings back memories. Way back over 2 decades ago "Wilson" was the other big name in RF gear. If it's the same company I can give that one a little nod.

Not much help I know but you said a "name."
Bob

Collapse -
cell phone and air card signal help
by qsally / August 19, 2009 5:11 AM PDT
In reply to: Wilson.

I installed the Wilson repeater this weekend. Because it is used for business I went ahead and upgraded it to a true dual band kit, meaning it can switch back to 800 MHz if the 1900 MHz frequency gets full at the cell site.

It was easy enough to put up, took about an hour because it had an omni-directional outside antenna that was a peice of cake because it didn't need to be tuned in & I used the new bracket that mounts on the eave of the roof instead of pole mounting from the ground. I didn't have to elevate, there is a really good signal outside.

I can see where it could take longer but the people I got it from included a line drawing of it, plus they labeled each cable end as to the component it screwed into. Other than the outside antenna it was really no different than hooking up a basic computer or stereo.

Anyway, my friend was right, Wilson is a great product. Jeff at www.UnwiredSignal.com told me if I followed the instructions it would work right as soon as I plugged it in. I did follow them and it did work immediately.

I am still surprised that I just automatically have a cell phone / laptop air card signal in our warehouse area, but we do. We went from 0-1 bar of signal to 3-4 bars all the time and I don't get a bunch of messages anymore when I leave. I can't believe I didn't do it sooner.

Like my buddy, I say if you don't have a cell phone signal in your home or at work Wilson is the way to go and Jeff at UnwiredSignal is the guy to buy it from. He knew his stuff which is kind of rare these days and treated me right which also a bit unusual. I'm a happy camper.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 51,912 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,498 discussions
icon
Laptops 20,411 discussions
icon
Security 30,882 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 21,253 discussions
icon
Windows 10 1,672 discussions
icon
Phones 16,494 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,855 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 15,504 discussions

REVIEW

Meet the drop-resistant Moto Z2 Force

The Moto Z2 Force is really thin, with a fast processor and great battery life. It can survive drops without shattering.