Computer Newbies forum

General discussion

AIM, smiley central, comet cursor, my web search

Another problem, my teenage daughter downloaded AIM, & Yahoo chat, I fussed, uninstalled them both, she downloaded AIM again, apparently Smiley central, my web search and Comet cursor, I got tired of fixing viruses, (I use AVG free edition) and running adaware (also free edition) to dump the trash that accompanied the "fun freebies", uninstalled (I thought) all of them but still when I do Cntrl Alt Delete, S9tqpo0h and Ber6wptv automatically load, both of which, I believe are parts to these invasive programs. They are both located in Windows Temporary fliles, and I believe last week I tried to delete them both, but there they still are. If they are not part of these programs, what are they? They started appearing a little over a month ago. Also, someone told me that Adaware is one of the worst programs out there and it in itself is spyware, is this true? Also, what is SEP, IE host NIOC Service and PC agent, they all appear on Add/Remove program files but I have no idea what these programs are. Thanks again! I use windows me & Internet explorer

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: AIM, smiley central, comet cursor, my web search
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: AIM, smiley central, comet cursor, my web search
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: AIM, smiley central, comet cursor, my web search

In reply to: AIM, smiley central, comet cursor, my web search

Collapse -
Re: AIM, smiley central, comet cursor, my web search

Linda,

Ad-Aware is an excellent program which is only one of a variety of tools which should help you remove the spyware/adware/parasites from your computer. It is NOT spyware ! Below are some links which I use to keep my computers free of the "junk". They're all free. There are others available, but these will give you a good start.

Occasionally, I run free online virus scans at either or both of the links below:

Housecall Online Scanner

Panda Antivirus Online Scanner

I also use the three tools below. The first spyware removal tools require a download and install, then UPDATE from within their user interface. After that, run the programs and delete all spyware found. Be aware that some "freeware" programs such as KaZaa may cease to function if they are dependent on the syware to run. Still, it's safer to find new "freeware" than to continue with spyware.

Ad-Aware 6 Spyware Removal Tool

?Spybot Search & Destroy? Spyware Removal Tool

This third program below can simply be downloaded and run from the desktop, if you choose. It cleans and removes many homepage hijackers:

CWShredder Hijack Removal Tool

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
also have a teenage daughter!

and whenever she goes near my computer the same thing happens - but now i have windows XP which has really clipped her wings because i have setup an account for her and restricted what she can do!
But u will find these "smiley" type programs change your registry settings so deleting anything in the "temp" folder wont do a thing.
Probably the reason why someone told you adaware is also "spy ware" is because if you run another spy ware program "adaware" shows up as spy ware!
But here is another program in addition to what Grif has suggested - it is not so user freindly but quite powerful and you can send the results off to the tech experts at the web site for their advice for free
it is called "hijackthis" - just click on the thread and it will download:-
http://www.spywareinfo.com/~merijn/files/hijackthis.zip
good luck
peter
ps if you need any help with the program let me know or email me

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

REVIEW

Sublime suburban chariot

High on style and technology, the 2019 Volvo XC90 is an incredibly satisfying everyday crossover.