General discussion

AIM on Windows Mobile 7

Does anyone know if any of the multi-protocol clients are available for Win7 phones? Or in development?

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: AIM on Windows Mobile 7
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: AIM on Windows Mobile 7
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Today, WP7 is a closed market.

For apps to get out they currently must be in the controlled marketplace. We hope this will change soon because it's the one reason we are not working on WP7 apps.

As soon as the market is free and open, I think you'll get your app.
Bob

- Collapse -
not what i wanted to hear!

I don't think the app market is going to be opening any time soon Sad

- Collapse -
Wait for it.

I'm only a WM developer. WP7 was great looking but with more lock down than what I see at Apple's store we put our dev work on hold. We're working the Droid for now.

It may take a short time for MSFT to catch on but we hope it's sooner than too late.
Bob

- Collapse -
There is a demand...

An Australian developer announced last week that he has written an application in native, unmanaged code, the first step in jailbreaking Windows Phone 7 so that apps can be loaded outside of the Windows Phone Marketplace. The Zune-like interface, Apple-like restrictions, and Palm-like limited app selection make it a tough sell to many consumers, including myself, but that may change once we're free to customize the phones with our own styles and applications, something that will likely happen sooner rather than later.

John

- Collapse -
what's wrong with the app market

Why does the fact that apps are locked make you decide not to develop for the platform? Do you think it significantly limits sales? I would expect most people to purchase apps in the market. Is it a philosophical issue? Don't all the phones officially lock apps? Either way there will be unlocked phones even if the market is locked.

- Collapse -
It's a matter of controlling your own device...

"Why does the fact that apps are locked make you decide not to develop for the platform?"

From a user's perspective, it's a matter of controlling your own device. Take the iPhone, for example. Apple does not like Flash, and therefore they prohibit Adobe from offering Flash Player to iPhone users. The result is that iPhone users are prohibited from watching video content, playing games, or generally using websites that incorporate Flash content in their websites. Likewise, Apple has rejected applications because:
-> The level of shine on a chat bubble was too similar to Apple's own.
-> Browsers, RSS readers, etc. provided users an alternative to Apple's own apps.
-> An eBook reader was capable of letting the user read potentially-offensive eBooks he/she downloaded.
-> A dictionary defined non-obscene slang and 'urban' words.
-> A Twitter client let users view Twitter posts. Reason: There was a rude post on Twitter.
-> A music streaming app let users stream too much music.
-> An app contained a photo of President Obama that was eventually used on a US stamp.

The list goes on. The point: It's Apple's way or the highway. Microsoft is, unfortunately, following in Apple's footsteps on this one, which is one reason I, and many others, have no intention to buy a Windows Phone 7 device.

In addition, developers are no longer allowed to choose how they sell their own apps. With Windows Mobile, for instance, developers could sell the apps on their own websites, through third-party stores, or through the Windows Mobile Marketplace. They could offer a Windows installer or a CAB installation file. They could bundle the desktop client with the mobile app. They could offer a free trial that limited the features and/or usage time in any way they wanted. They could write native apps that offered greater functionality and better performance. They had a choice. With a mandated app store, the developer must give Microsoft/Apple/etc. it's share (typically 30% of all proceeds, plus a monthly/yearly/per-app fee), cannot offer bundled versions, cannot offer Windows-based installation, cannot write native apps, and are limited to what kinds of free trials they offer. (Apple actually prohibits demo versions, forcing developers to offer one full version and one feature-limited version rather than letting the user try the full app for a short time.)

I could go on, but the above should provide sufficient insight into some of the main issues at play. Thankfully, not all phone operating systems are locked down in such ways. Google's Android, Microsoft's Windows Mobile (now obsolete), Palm's WebOS, Symbian Foundation's Symbian, and Intel/Nokia's MeeGo are all open for general development, despite offering their own app stores that users and developers can choose to participate in. Most people may like the convenience of an 'official' app store, but they also want a choice. Android's marketshare speaks volumes to that effect.

John

- Collapse -
We had a simple reason.

The apps are for a company's internal use. We didn't get an answer how to deploy apps inside the company without using the app store or getting it approved.

For now, WP7 is not an option until this changes.
Bob

CNET Forums

Forum Info