Speakeasy forum

General discussion

Ah, just think of the mischief. . .

by Diane Harrison / November 30, 2004 10:01 AM PST

My trip to OfficeMax last week had an added benefit of discovering this package of six sheets of specialty paper to make bumper stickers (2 per sheet, probably for 12 total). They are billed as repositionable bumper stickers for ink jet printers. They are removable and capable of being repositioned (unless you get malicious and use glue, I guess), and can be kept pristine by spraying them with clear acrylic gloss or matte sealant.

I'm just thinking about all the trouble it would be possible to get into at work and home with these things. The field is wide open as to what you can put as far as words or graphics on these things.

What bumper sticker would you most like to make, and whose car/briefcase/etc. would you put it on?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Ah, just think of the mischief. . .
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Ah, just think of the mischief. . .
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
(NT) (NT) I DIDNT VOTE FOR KERRY
by Mark5019 / November 30, 2004 10:13 AM PST
Collapse -
Re: STICK THAT CAR PHONE UP YOUR BUTT.....on rear
by Rolway / November 30, 2004 11:00 AM PST

on front...HORN BROKEN - WATCH FOR FINGER.

Collapse -
Re: STICK THAT CAR PHONE UP YOUR BUTT.....on rear
by Glenda / November 30, 2004 11:03 AM PST

I always wanted one that said You Idiot!!! But I want it on a hand sign to stick out the window:)
Glenda

Collapse -
Re: Hi Glenda.....
by Rolway / November 30, 2004 11:30 AM PST

One day way back when I smoked, I pulled up to a stop light and a young girl had pulled along side me. I had tossed the butt out the window. Well a truck had crossed in front of us having the green light going the other way and some guy leaned out the window yelling you dirty rotten so and so (Foul Language) Filthy pig and so on and sped off. I sat there wondering what that was all about. I looked over at the girl and she looked at me and she said: Don't look at me he must be talking to you, I don't smoke. Happy

George

Collapse -
by Glenda / November 30, 2004 12:04 PM PST
In reply to: Re: Hi Glenda.....

LOL I had a similar experience a few years back, I flipped a butt out at a stoplight and the man behind me told me I needed to get out and clean it up!! RIGHT!
I told him to stuff it!
Glenda

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) The famous non or former smoker.
by Kiddpeat / November 30, 2004 2:49 PM PST
Collapse -
(NT) (NT) LOL :))
by Glenda / November 30, 2004 9:36 PM PST
Collapse -
by Josh K / December 1, 2004 10:48 PM PST

"Flipping your butt out" is littering, Glenda. It's also dangerous. I've had burning ashes fly into my car after having been flicked out someone's car window.

When I see people tossing trash out of their car windows (and yes, your butts are trash), I start looking for a cop. It's disgusting. The roads and highways are not your personal trash can.

Collapse -
by Glenda / December 2, 2004 1:24 AM PST

You obviously didn't read the last reply I posted to you. again! I use a plastic water bottle with a cap and water in it to douse my cigs! That is when I am in the kids cars! in my car I use the ashtray! In case you didn't notice I said the incident about the butt out the window WAS YEARS ago! Enough OK?
Glenda

Collapse -
by Josh K / December 2, 2004 2:19 AM PST

What "last reply?" This is the only one I saw.

OK, it was years ago. But in your post you didn't exactly come off as remorseful, hence my response.

Collapse -
by Glenda / December 2, 2004 2:26 AM PST

That's because the post was deleted. And since when do I have to fit in with what YOU call remorse? For What?
Drop it ok?
Glenda

Collapse -
by Josh K / December 2, 2004 3:48 AM PST

Telling the person who caught me littering to "stuff it" would not fit in with my idea of remorse; you're right about that.

Collapse -
As a former smoker...
by Dan McC / December 1, 2004 12:44 AM PST

Can you tell us why smokers feel that they are allowed to throw their disgusting, spittle soaked trash out their car windows?

It's not a big issue, but it's still a pretty repulsive thing to do.

Dan

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Cause the ashtray is full????
by Glenda / December 1, 2004 1:30 AM PST
In reply to: As a former smoker...
Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Use the back seat.
by Dan McC / December 1, 2004 1:51 AM PST
Collapse -
(NT) (NT) I take it you never Smoked, Dan (Cigarettes)
by Rolway / December 1, 2004 2:01 AM PST
Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Nope. Not one of my vices.
by Dan McC / December 1, 2004 4:30 AM PST
Collapse -
(NT) (NT) You can't understand if you don't walk the walk.
by Kiddpeat / December 1, 2004 9:50 AM PST
Collapse -
lol!
by Dan McC / December 2, 2004 12:44 AM PST

I can't understand what a bad idea it is to suck on something and then throw it into the street while it's burning?

Whatever you say.

Dan

Collapse -
True, bad habit
by Richard Jones Forum moderator / December 1, 2004 1:45 AM PST

Hi Dan,

I'm a current smoker, and try not to do that, just because it's littering. Though, sometimes I'm a passenger and while the driver does not mind me smoking in the car, the ashtray is occupied with change, pens, etc. So there's not much choice, other than bringing along one of those portable, closable mini-ashtrays ; which I used to have a couple of. Girlfriends that smoked found them neat, and I haven't replaced them as yet. Local "Pipe Pub" used to stock 'em, but they went belly up a while ago.

Rick "one of these years i'll stop, again" Jones

Collapse -
So true Richard!!
by Glenda / December 1, 2004 2:35 AM PST
In reply to: True, bad habit

My girls will let me have a cig if I need one, But I am not allowed to use the ashtray:( They both fill them up with change:)
Glenda

Collapse -
Re: As a former smoker...
by Roger NC / December 1, 2004 8:33 AM PST
disgusting, spittle soaked trash

Not just smokers (and I'm an ex, and guilty of it when young I admit), but chewers or snuff users too.

And not just tobacco, chewing and bubble gum ofter done the same.

Where I use to work started a no tobacco product use inside the building policy. Well I had already quit, so no problem there for me. But what I hated they "wrote up" people caught smoking, and never did anything about those walking around chewing and spitting in a disposable softdrink bottle. I'd rather someone smoke than spit in a bottle in front of me.

And that's not the only place I've seen that had a stated policy of no tobacco products, but only persecuted smokers. Smoking is a bad habit, and one anyone be better off without, but it's not the supreme evil that so many dogooders have tried to make it. They demonize it way more than other risky behavior as far as health, and more than other more disgusting behavior in public.

It's just not PC to smoke, so it's hang the poor ******** that do.

RogerNC

click here to email semods4@yahoo.com
Collapse -
Be glad you didn't live 100+ years ago. They used spittoons
by Kiddpeat / December 1, 2004 9:55 AM PST

then. I wonder what they did with a miss. I'm a former smoker also. I finally quit when my daughter was a baby since we didn't want to smoke around her. I'm amazed at what a pack of cigarettes cost now. I wonder how long it will be before the PC police go after food or exercise.

Collapse -
Don't hang them
by Dan McC / December 2, 2004 12:47 AM PST

I'm just talking about the disgusting remnants of their habit that they leave everywhere. Why should anyone have to come in contact with it?

Dan

Collapse -
Couldn't you say the same thing...
by J. Vega / December 2, 2004 1:15 AM PST
In reply to: Don't hang them

Couldn't you say the same thing about beer cans, soft drink bottles, candy wrappers, etc.? Do you feel the same way about their "remnants".
I realize that the game is to speak against smokers, and in this case is using "litter" as something objectionable, but it just hit me that I have never seen such a degree of vocal public objection to, as you say, the "disgusting remnants" something else which I have seen on several occasions. Used disposable baby diapers.
Curious at first, but not when you think about the motivation that causes the difference in public outcry against the particular type of litter.

Collapse -
You could, except...
by Dan McC / December 2, 2004 3:30 AM PST

That the number of smokers who participate in this behavior and the number of pieces of trash involved dwarfs the numbers from the can/bottle crowd. I don't recall the last time I saw someone toss a bottle from a car while I see burning spittle bombs on a regular basis. I'm pleased that I've never seen a used diaper on the street and I hope that my luck lasts. I'm sure that we can agree that these are all reprehensible behaviors, but we should also agree on how common each is.

Dan

Collapse -
and how about...
by Dick White / December 2, 2004 4:00 AM PST
In reply to: You could, except...

the ones who properly use their ashtrays and then while sitting at a red light (or as they park in a lot somewhere) just open the door casually and dump the whole tray of butts and ashes in a pile on the ground (leaning down to knock it on the pavement once or twice to be sure to get last few particles out...). No excuse.

dw

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) It's a shame.
by Dan McC / December 2, 2004 4:50 AM PST
In reply to: and how about...
Collapse -
Re: Don't hang them
by Rolway / December 2, 2004 3:10 AM PST
In reply to: Don't hang them

You are right Dan, why should you come in contact with it. Maybe we should Ban all outside smoking, drinking, chewing, spitting, eating and while we are at it, Sex too. Those that violate...Flog them. Even the ones that exhale and fart (clean air act)...Flog them. Then we might all become sqeaky clean pilgrims. will that make you happy?

Theres a lot of other disgusting remnants that even Non-Smokers leave all over the
place and fling out of their car windows.

George

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) That's extreme. See my reply to J. above.
by Dan McC / December 2, 2004 3:31 AM PST
In reply to: Re: Don't hang them

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!