PC Hardware forum

General discussion

AGP Vs. PCI Express

by Falcon978 / January 20, 2006 12:32 PM PST

This is for all of you heavy video users(Gamers, Video editors) out there. My system works very well at 3.0Ghz HT,1.0GB ram, 250G hardrive. I have an D865GBF Intel motherboard, and this motherboard will only take an add on AGP 8.0X video card. I recently had a problem with my add on ATI video card, and I now need to replace it. My question for all of you is that it seems the market is turning to PCI Express X16? I enjoy playing several video games, and now that my AGP card is toast, I am forced to use the integrated Intel Extreme card.(NO FUN) I would like to buy the BEST AGP 8X out there, but I do not want to spend the money on a new AGP card, if I would be better off with a new motherboard with the PCIX16 graphics support? Is there really an advantage to the PCIX16 vs an AGPX8? Either way, please let me know what the best Graphics card is, based on what you have seen?

Thanks!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: AGP Vs. PCI Express
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: AGP Vs. PCI Express
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
AGP VS PCI Express response
by orac34 / January 20, 2006 1:25 PM PST
In reply to: AGP Vs. PCI Express

Hey Falcon978,

Im not a full on gamer just in my spare time hope this helps firstly AGP graphics cards are slowly being phased out and the new format has become PCI which is the slot and connection by which the card is inseted into your motherboard. There are different AGP formats 4x or 8x the later being the most recent before PCI came onto the market so if you decide to buy a new AGP graphics card remember to check the AGP format of the model you choose looking at your post a AGP8x.

Intergrated graphics is the graphics controller that is intergrated into your motherboard generally these graphic chipsets are inadequate to play games well on because they dont have enough grunt to produce enough frame rates for game veiwing and playing.

A dedicated graphics card such in the AGP or PCI format will perform much better giveing you many more frame rates and games will not only run smoother but be more pleasing to the eye, Seeing your motherboard only supports AGP you are limited to these cards.

The chipset is one of the most important factors as well as the ram the card has when buying a graphics card to of the major producers are ATI and NIVIDIA you can still buy decent AGP graphics cards the best bang for your buck at the moment on the budjet market are those cards with the 6600GT or 6600 chipsets not knowing your budget you can pick them up for around $230-50 AU an example of a graphics card- 128MB Leadtek winfast 6600GT AGP8x graphics card

Cheers

Collapse -
Thanks..but ATI or Nvidia?
by Falcon978 / January 20, 2006 2:02 PM PST

Thanks for your input. Should I purchase an ATI card or and Nvidia one? Also, is the extra expense of upgrading my motherboard to a PCI X16 worth it, or is it ok to contiune with my current system? Which is faster, AGP or PCI X16

Thanks,
Jeff

Collapse -
either one...
by GMartin2R / January 20, 2006 3:27 PM PST

i would recommend spending the maybe $100 to go to a PCI-E motherboard jsut cause it is where the technology is going. as has been stated AGP is being phased out as PCI-E comes into play more and more. of course its' your call waht you do as you can probably find a decent AGP card now and be good for a while but pretty much all of the newer chipsets are based on the PCI-E slot.

now as far as what company goes, up until recenrly the answer has been nvidia and as far as a budget card went the 6600gt was the main reccomendation. i would still think that would be the case, but as technology changes the 6800 series should become more affordable. the reason nvidia is reccomended more is because it has the capability to use some new technologies that the competing ATI line didnt have. i think it was like shader model 2.0 and another tech that i cant remember right now.

i'm running an ATI card right now but within a year or so i will probably be switching over the a Nvidia chipset... but again the newer technologies are based on the PCI-E architecture.

as far as speed goes, AGP goes up to 8X and PCI-E can work at 16X. if you go with an SLI motherboard and setup, what happens is you have 2 video cards hooked up operating at 8X each. least that's how i understand SLI... but tha'ts only possible with the PCI-E slots as AGP cant do that. obviously that's advanced tech but that's kinda where things are headed. so an AGP card might work for a while but if you plan on upgrading any more later on might be a good idea to go with PCI-E.

Collapse -
Graphics card info
by orac34 / January 20, 2006 5:47 PM PST
Collapse -
Just click the link to buyers guide
by orac34 / January 20, 2006 5:50 PM PST

Sorry Jeff,

My mistake just click on the link and it will take you to the graphics card buyers guide.

cheers good luck

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?