HolidayBuyer's Guide

PC Hardware forum

General discussion

AGP compatibility?

by CaptainArcher / July 11, 2005 3:33 PM PDT

Still newly registered with CNET, but have been reading reviews on the site for almost 8 years. My question is simple. I have an HP system thats about 3 years old. It originally came with a 16MB agp graphics card, that i soon after upgraded to a 64MB card with s video output. I am now thinking of upgrading one more, to a 256MB card with dvi output. I want to know if the agp 8x card will work on a machine this old? is my agp slot not fast enough (its likely 2x, the first type of agp). not too sure on this one.... or should i just save my money and put it towards building my own system from the groud up? Thanks in advance

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: AGP compatibility?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: AGP compatibility?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
RE:
by damasta55r / July 11, 2005 3:44 PM PDT
In reply to: AGP compatibility?

Even if it does work, which is unlikely. Your PSU won't be able to handle.
Roger

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) i would suggest building a new computer...
by nerdyboy1234 / July 11, 2005 4:28 PM PDT
In reply to: RE:
Collapse -
Build your Own!!!!
by Splicer / July 11, 2005 5:15 PM PDT

Its cheaper and u can put whatever you feel like. Have Fun !

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Be happy, build own...3yrs. is a longtime in PCs
by Willy / July 11, 2005 11:19 PM PDT
Collapse -
A 3yr old PC is still good.....
by John Robie / July 12, 2005 5:48 AM PDT

however it depends on several factors. Please give the model number and other info so maybe we can check your PC out..re the the notice in red about providing info on your PC when you posted.

My best of the three computers I have is 3 years old, still upgradable, and will play any game out there, except I may need to upgrade to a GeForce 6600GT AGP video card to play Battlefield 2.

Collapse -
hp pavillion 7865
by CaptainArcher / July 12, 2005 3:42 PM PDT

with an amd athlon 1.2 ghz processor and upgraded to 512MB of pc133 sdram. i have recently replaced the power supply with a 350 watt, so that would not be an issue with a new graphics card. the only real question i have here is if there is any reason an agp 8x card would not work on an older agp slot. im not sure where to find info on exactly which motherboard and chipset i have as i explained in a different post, i cant access any bios info at startup

Collapse -
Thanks...
by John Robie / July 12, 2005 6:28 PM PDT
In reply to: hp pavillion 7865

Checking HP's site on your 7865 did not reveal what AGP x speed of your motherboard. You need to find out if your motherboard is 2x or 1x. If so you cannot put a 8x card in because of the voltage differences. You can put a 4x card in a 2x or 1x. I have a 4x card in one of my 1x computers. If you have a 4x slot, to be safe... make sure the new card indicates 8x & 4x, even tho generally the 8x cards do have the correct voltage for 4x & 8x.
Sorry I can't be of further help.

Try running Belarc Advisor, that should tell you what motherboard and chipset you have.

http://www.belarc.com/Download.html

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Does an AGP 8x card work on a 4x Motherboard
by lilShortZaznXboi / July 14, 2005 5:45 AM PDT
In reply to: Thanks...
Collapse -
Yes, a
by John Robie / July 14, 2005 8:22 AM PDT

4x motherboard supports 1.5v. The 8x video cards are .8v but almost all are designed to also support 1.5v and can be used in 4x motherboards (OEM's of 8x Cards didn't want to lose out on selling to millions of 4x computer owners). An 8x video card will not work in a 2x or 1x motherboard. I would like to be safe with some of these fly-by-night 8x Cards by being able to read on the box/or discription...8x/4x.

Keep in mind that an 8x Video Card in a 4x Motherboard will perform at the 4x speed. Really, an ordinarry person would not be able to tell the difference in performance between the 4x & 8x card.

Collapse -
appreciate the help
by CaptainArcher / July 14, 2005 3:45 PM PDT
In reply to: Thanks...

Im reasonably certain that I have either a 1x or 2x agp slot, because agp was very very new at the time this pc was purchased. at any rate, Ive decided to stop sinking money into this machine and build a new one or possibly buy a media center as i have seen some great deals advertised lately. maybe i should just do both....

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

HOLIDAY GIFT GUIDE 2017

Cameras that make great holiday gifts

Let them start the new year with a step up in photo and video quality from a phone.