TVs & Home Theaters forum

General discussion

Aftermath of TV Digital Converter

by Tosca / March 14, 2008 8:08 AM PDT

Hello,

I'd like to get on with the digital conversion of my tv but want a better idea of what I might run into. This is what I have - everything is SONY: a 4 yearold FDTrinitron-WEGA-KV27FS100 tv, a 2 yearold NS501P DVD player-only, and a ?yearold SLV-N55 VCR.

We also use an indoor antenna only - no cable, satellite, no directtv.

After installing a digital converter box will I still be able to watch dvds, watch VHS tapes, record tv programs on the VCR with this equipment?

Thanks so much -- Tosca

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Aftermath of TV Digital Converter
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Aftermath of TV Digital Converter
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
More on Converter Boxes
by Tosca / March 19, 2008 5:52 AM PDT

Thanks for the link - it was helpful but I wonder if someone could just answer these 3 "for the rest of us" questions: 1) will an installed converter box allow the viewing of VHS tapes via a VCR, 2) will I still be able to record tv programs via a VCR, and 3) is the converter installable on a 30 yearold RCA black and white tv?

Thanks again

Collapse -
converter box
by grendel18447 / March 19, 2008 8:45 AM PDT

if im right you will only be able to tape on your vcr if you have on the channel you are taping. There should me no problem watching tapes on the vcr. It should work on your b/w tv.

Collapse -
VCR
by Tosca / March 19, 2008 9:19 AM PDT
In reply to: converter box

Thanks - we should be ok then, since that's the only way we tape. And old black&whites - I hope so.

Thanks so much - Tosca

Collapse -
IF YOU FOLLOW ALL INSTALLATION INSTRUCTIONS................
by Riverledge / March 19, 2008 4:22 PM PDT

YOU OUGHT TO BE JUST FINE. GET YOUR "converter box" coupons, A.S.A.P.

Good viewing to you,

Riverledge.

Collapse -
Follow et.al.
by Tosca / March 21, 2008 6:11 AM PDT

Thanks to everyone - you always come through --- Tosca

Collapse -
Two More ??
by Tosca / March 24, 2008 9:54 AM PDT

Hope you are all still out there - I have two more questions:

1. I got a hold of RCA and they told me an old black and white is convertible - anything is convertible - as long as it has a co-axial connector. There isn't one on my ancient set so I'm out of luck, right?

2. I've also been advised to buy and install the converter now, but I'm wondering: considering that we don't have cable or satellite and just use an indoor antenna, what happens to ordinary, commercial tv programs if there's no digital signal to convert? Should we buy now and wait to install until the magic 2009 date?

Thanks -- Tosca

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?