Computer Help forum

General discussion

Aftermath of Replaced Motherboard

by phillybruin / November 9, 2007 7:30 AM PST

Hey there,
I recently had to replace the motherboard on my Dell XPS200 desktop running on Windows XP. The computer was spontaneously shutting down like it was overheating, and after replacing the power supply, it continued to do so. I had the motherboard replaced, and now it's working fine, except that the network card won't connect to the internet. Device manager says it's working fine, and the diagnostics also check out except for the "Link" test which failed. When it's hardwired, the indicator light doesn't turn on at all (no green or yellow). I've tried reinstalling the drivers and reinstalling Windows XP, but it's still unresponsive. Also, possibly related, my printer, which connects via USB, isn't being recognized, but my wireless mouse, which connects via USB also, is recognized fine.

The computer is outside of the warranty, so the fun people at Dell won't lift a finger. Is it possible that when the motherboard was replaced, it fried the connections to the network card? The next logical step would be to get a new network card and see what happens, but I thought I'd see if anyone on here had any advice. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Aftermath of Replaced Motherboard
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Aftermath of Replaced Motherboard
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
And the device is 'ENABLED' in the BIOS ?
by VAPCMD / November 9, 2007 8:06 AM PST

If yes and it's still not working ... installing a PCI network interface card would be the 'logical' and 'economical' alternative.

Let us know.

Collapse -
Correct Chipset Drivers Installed?
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / November 9, 2007 8:24 AM PST

If the applicable chipset drivers were installed and it's still not working, it IS possible the motherboard is faulty.

Who actually replaced the motherboard? If it's not working, then the tech that replaced it is responsible to make it work.

Hope this helps.

Collapse -
No light at all
by Steven Haninger / November 9, 2007 9:46 AM PST

would mean no or improper hardware connection. This could be the NIC itself, cable, or the device it connects to. You could move the NIC to another slot if you haven't done so. I've had NICs show OK in Windows but not work. Of course the only way to rule it out would be to try it in another machine. That gets tricky with XP machines, however. NICs are worth 3 points.

Collapse -
(NT) I'm thinking this was an 'onboard' ?
by VAPCMD / November 9, 2007 10:14 AM PST
In reply to: No light at all
Collapse -
by BrianZachary / November 10, 2007 1:18 AM PST

"my printer, which connects via USB, isn't being recognized, but my wireless mouse, which connects via USB also, is recognized fine."

Did you install the drivers for this printer or any software needed for the printer to be recognized and run?

Popular Forums
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
Laptops 21,181 discussions
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
Phones 17,137 discussions
Security 31,287 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?