Attention: The forums are currently placed on Read Only.

Thank you for visiting the CNET forums. Our site is currently undergoing some maintenance. During this period (6:30 AM to 8 PM PDT,) you can read the forums content, however posting in the forum will not be available. We apologize for this inconvenience. Click here to read details

Computer Help forum

General discussion

Aftermath of Replaced Motherboard

by phillybruin / November 9, 2007 7:30 AM PST

Hey there,
I recently had to replace the motherboard on my Dell XPS200 desktop running on Windows XP. The computer was spontaneously shutting down like it was overheating, and after replacing the power supply, it continued to do so. I had the motherboard replaced, and now it's working fine, except that the network card won't connect to the internet. Device manager says it's working fine, and the diagnostics also check out except for the "Link" test which failed. When it's hardwired, the indicator light doesn't turn on at all (no green or yellow). I've tried reinstalling the drivers and reinstalling Windows XP, but it's still unresponsive. Also, possibly related, my printer, which connects via USB, isn't being recognized, but my wireless mouse, which connects via USB also, is recognized fine.

The computer is outside of the warranty, so the fun people at Dell won't lift a finger. Is it possible that when the motherboard was replaced, it fried the connections to the network card? The next logical step would be to get a new network card and see what happens, but I thought I'd see if anyone on here had any advice. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Discussion is locked
Collapse -
And the device is 'ENABLED' in the BIOS ?
by VAPCMD / November 9, 2007 8:06 AM PST

If yes and it's still not working ... installing a PCI network interface card would be the 'logical' and 'economical' alternative.

Let us know.

VAPCMD

Collapse -
Correct Chipset Drivers Installed?
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / November 9, 2007 8:24 AM PST

If the applicable chipset drivers were installed and it's still not working, it IS possible the motherboard is faulty.

Who actually replaced the motherboard? If it's not working, then the tech that replaced it is responsible to make it work.

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
No light at all
by Steven Haninger / November 9, 2007 9:46 AM PST

would mean no or improper hardware connection. This could be the NIC itself, cable, or the device it connects to. You could move the NIC to another slot if you haven't done so. I've had NICs show OK in Windows but not work. Of course the only way to rule it out would be to try it in another machine. That gets tricky with XP machines, however. NICs are worth 3 points.

Collapse -
(NT) I'm thinking this was an 'onboard' NIC...no ?
by VAPCMD / November 9, 2007 10:14 AM PST
In reply to: No light at all
Collapse -
Printer
by BrianZachary / November 10, 2007 1:18 AM PST

"my printer, which connects via USB, isn't being recognized, but my wireless mouse, which connects via USB also, is recognized fine."

Did you install the drivers for this printer or any software needed for the printer to be recognized and run?

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!