aftermarket video card FOR laptops that is capable of

outputing DVI or HDMI? or else if it is possible to just

convert the VGA to DVI/HDMI via a special cable or external

converter.

not as computer literate (as far as hardware) as i am with

audio equipment, but i know in audio, there is pretty much

always a fix, such as outboard equipment like: amps, pre amps,

digital to analog (d/a) and vice versa (a/d) converters. does

computer hardware work anything like that?

or is my only fix a whole new computer? if this is my only

option, what is the cheapest place to buy computer guts to

build my own pc...

i know of tiger direct, can you find better deals than that?

and what would i need?

case
power supply
motherboard
drives (hard,dvd,blu ray, etc)
sound card
VIDEO CARD haha
ram

am i missing anything?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Aftermarket Video Cards ???
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Aftermarket Video Cards ???
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: laptop video card

In reply to: Aftermarket Video Cards ???

Generally, no.

If the laptop has a separate videocard right now, you might be able to replace it (but be sure it doesn't use too much power, both your battery and your adapter are limited), but if it's integrated into the motherboard, forget about it.

And I certainly wouldn't advise trying to build your own laptop.

About converters:
www2.dvigear.com/vgatodvicosc.html is a VGA to DVI converter ($399)
www.cableuniverse.co.uk/catalog/cables/VGA-to-HDMI-Converter.html is a VGA to HDMI converter (GBP 37.99)

I didn't do an exhaustive search. Just googled a little bit. You might be able to find more. But the quality is more or less doubtful. Read through http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/310199 for background.

Hope this helps.

Kees

Collapse -
I'm going to be more blunt.

The answer is no. You'll get your cards from the maker of the laptop. Today there is some vaporware about cards for the external slot but it will not deliver gaming or HD content. You can write there is a market for such but tell us where on the laptops there is a connection that could deliver the data.
Bob

Collapse -
oh well

kees bakker

" And I certainly wouldn't advise trying to build your own laptop. "

No, i wouldn't do that, i meant a desktop. if there was no way around having an actuall video card with the DVI/HDMI output, then i'd opt to build my own Desktop, rather than buy a premade one, just because i know you can save hella cash, buying components and putting your own desktop pc together.

from what i hear, CORRECT ME IF I'M WRONG, the quality of a VGA to DVI/HDMI converter can't match that of a true video card with DVI/HDMI output. so looks like i won't be using the 3d feature any time soon.

BUT..... the good news is, if i have to build a desktop pc, i can incorparate all the things i want, like hella fast processor, blu-ray Burner, hella good audio and video cards. Was thinking about putting a pc together down the road anyways to install a DAW on

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

REVIEW

Sublime suburban chariot

High on style and technology, the 2019 Volvo XC90 is an incredibly satisfying everyday crossover.