Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

after upgrade burnt CD are now reading as blank cd's!

by gyozagirl / August 8, 2005 1:20 PM PDT

When I did my upgrade to Window XP, I was given the following warning.
DirectCD 2 has a known compatibility issue with this version of Windows and might not run as expected. Drivers installed by this program might cause system instability, including problems with Shut Down/Restart and the inability to use a DVD drive. For more information, contact Roxio, Inc.

Well, I ignored it, and now all the CD's I burn't with MP3's are not being read by my computer or anyone elses!The computer says Blank CD inserted, when I know it is not blank.

I have like 50 CD's with abouth 300 on each of them. How do I access the info on these CD's?

any help is appreciated
Daisy

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: after upgrade burnt CD are now reading as blank cd's!
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: after upgrade burnt CD are now reading as blank cd's!
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
RE:
by damasta55r / August 8, 2005 4:59 PM PDT

Hmm i don't understand...
Well, I ignored it, and [now all the CD's I burn't with MP3's are not being read by my computer or anyone elses]!The computer says Blank CD inserted, when I know it is not blank.

Were these burned prior to upgrade? Or the CDs on the bottom.

I have like 50 CD's with abouth 300 on each of them. How do I access the info on these CD's?

Are these the cds above? If so and can't be read by anyone else's. Thats impossible. So... ALso im not sure a reply to this post should even be worth my time. You're starving the people working in the music industry, entertainment industry, everyone. As everyone is connected. People cater for the singer, now they won't have jobs. People who .....

Collapse -
You may have problems here.
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / August 8, 2005 7:03 PM PDT

Daisy, when you burned these tracks to CDR or CDRW cd's can you remember if you "closed" the sessions after each burn?

If you did not close the sessions then the TOC, (Table of Contents), on the cd's will not have been written because the disk burning software is expecting more data to be burnt to the disk.

Without a TOC, Windows cannot read the disk, and neither can normal CD playing software.

I am given to understand that neither can any cd burning software read the disk, "other" than the original software. But others here may correct me on this.

It gets worse, (unfortunately). Unless you can "Roll back" the XP upgrade, (that is, using System Restore to Restore the computer to its original state), simply uninstalling XP and re-installing the previous Operating System and re-loading DirectCD 2 may not work. It may be that the burn process can only be read by the original installation of DirectCD 2, and if DirectCD 2 is installed again, it may fail to read the disk even to enable you to "close" the session.

I hope I am incorrect about this.

Some reading for you;

http://www.cdrfaq.org/ - CD Recordable FAQ.

http://www.cdrfaq.org/faq02.html#S2-5 - Multisession disks

http://www.cdrfaq.org/faq02.html#S2-19 - Finalizing and closing disks

Good luck.

Mark

Collapse -
Direct CD has problems
by glb613 / August 8, 2005 8:08 PM PDT

like you describe. Formatteed CD-RWs burned using that program are often unreadable except on the computer where they were made. And often the CD-RWs are only readable using the original program. It is one reason I no longer use formated CD-RWs to save anything. I'm afraid your MP3s may be lost.

Collapse -
Fix. Update to latest DirectCD.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 8, 2005 10:10 PM PDT

If your hardware is good, it should work. I recovered CDRWs like yours on a good machine by copying the CDRW contents to closed CDR copies.

I'm not a big fan of DirectCD or InCD.

Bob

Collapse -
I had the same problem with cd made with directcd,
by trytohelp / August 9, 2005 1:59 PM PDT

Mine wasn't music but family pictures. I even had formatted it so any cdrom was suppose to see it. Look up Isobuster on Google it will see what is on the cds even when using it from XP. Then you can copy the data or whatever from the cd.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Does BMW or Volvo do it best?

Pint-size luxury and funky style

Shopping for a new car this weekend? See how the BMW X2 stacks up against the Volvo XC40 in our side-by-side comparison.