Speakeasy forum

General discussion

After TSA agents figured out the gun was a fake,

by JP Bill / December 3, 2011 8:28 PM PST
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: After TSA agents figured out the gun was a fake,
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: After TSA agents figured out the gun was a fake,
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
It was like, I was like...
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / December 4, 2011 3:24 AM PST

It's spreading!

But back to the TSA, was this a scan or just a luggage search? That isn't clear in what I read.

If it was an X-ray scan then their concerns seem about right.

But a baggage search, not quite so clear cut, but then I could imagine, sort of, someone attempting the double bluff. A holdall of some sort with a relief design of a gun, but inside is the actual gun.

Mark

Collapse -
A different site . . .
by Coryphaeus / December 4, 2011 4:02 AM PST

carried a better story. It was a purse, carried in plain sight. The TSA has gone nuts.

Collapse -
Well, perhaps
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / December 4, 2011 4:15 AM PST
In reply to: A different site . . .

but what if....

What if there was a gun in the bag? Do they do nothing, ignore it?

Mark

Collapse -
You're missing the point, Mark . . .
by Coryphaeus / December 4, 2011 4:36 AM PST
In reply to: Well, perhaps

All items are scanned by X-ray. No gun was found IN the bag, only the small decoration on the outside. The TSA said it was a "replica" weapon. Good God, a replica three inches in length and sewn to the outside of the bag. Any sane person would know that this could not be construed as a real weapon.

Collapse -
If that's the case
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / December 4, 2011 4:41 AM PST

I must have missed it. I didn't see where they X-Rayed the baggage/purse.

Haven't replica guns been used in hijacks before? I know this was a relief of a gun, but I would still ask again, do the TSA or any airport security around the world simply ignore it and turn away?

Would they risk that?

Mark

Collapse -
X-rays . . .
by Coryphaeus / December 4, 2011 4:53 AM PST
In reply to: If that's the case

I flew and traveled for many years. Nothing gets past the checkpoint without being X-rayed, even shoes. Laptops, bags, purses, everything, gets irradiated. Even baby carriages!!

My point is that the TSA person should use a little common sense.

Collapse -
They pay idiot wages
by James Denison / December 4, 2011 5:39 AM PST
In reply to: X-rays . . .

Is it any wonder that's what they get?

Collapse -
Probably most of them but
by Roger NC / December 4, 2011 6:08 AM PST
In reply to: They pay idiot wages

have you seen the low to high range of TSA salaries?

Collapse -
Not great
by James Denison / December 4, 2011 10:19 PM PST

Looks like you have to advance 5 grades at least just to get into starting salary of someone with a college degree at many other jobs. My daughter started out at $50K with her degree, so I guess that's about starting salary for many college graduates. Those first two grades wouldn't be far above poverty level for a family, not great even for a single person.

Collapse -
(NT) But how many have more than HS education?
by Roger NC / December 5, 2011 6:56 AM PST
In reply to: Not great
Collapse -
Slices both ways
by Willy / December 4, 2011 3:29 PM PST

Any idiot and that includes the TSA should have noticed upon closer inspection that it wasn't a working weapon. Even, if real looking, it was apparent what it was. Though, I'm sure upon X-ray viewing the relief of the weapon would appear otherwise, but then close inspection(follow-up) would deem it harmless. As for them claiming it was a "replica weapon", well that;s CYA answer. At the same time, if they're going to confiscate liquids, nail clippers and sharp objects, etc.,(relaxed now) anything that looks like the real thing, can't be disregarded once challenged. At the same time, I would think the time frame to verify would have been over and done with in minutes, but it wasn't. No one should think even with this example that at least someone was doing their job. IMHO, both parties here are to blame. If anything next time, traveling with that purse should be reconsidered. -----Willy Happy

Collapse -
flying at all should be reconsidered
by James Denison / December 4, 2011 10:12 PM PST
In reply to: Slices both ways

And they want to increase public transportation over private. Yeah, that ought to be a lot of fun.

Collapse -
Already done
by Willy / December 5, 2011 12:38 AM PST

All forms of transport which are public are already scrutinized, so its not flying alone. I submit that busing and RxR is also under TSA in some form or another.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?