PC Hardware forum

General discussion

After reformatt and reinstallation Winxp comp stil slow

My friend wants me to fix her dell. It's a used system and it ran fine. Windows XP just ran really really slow when she first got it. It took like 10 minutes to start and then afterwards it takes like 5 minutes for the controll panel to come up after you click it. Mouse and keboard work fine. So we're like just reinstall windows and that's it.
She has an official windows XP that isn't from dell from her old computer.
Started to install it and that's when we knew we had a problem. The OS took like 7 hours to install really slow. Then after the computer still ran rediculously slow just as it did before.

So we took out the ram and tested it on other computers and it ran fine. I put in my good RAM anyways just in case(so it wasn't bad ram)

Then we took the HD drive and put in a brand new one and it still ran slow.

I don't konw what to do now. I can't find a setting in the dell bios to set defaults. There is now way to install new mobo and cpu because the dell case won't fit another brand of mobo. is there anything else I can test to see if it's the problem.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: After reformatt and reinstallation Winxp comp stil slow
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: After reformatt and reinstallation Winxp comp stil slow
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
forgot the processor type

In reply to: After reformatt and reinstallation Winxp comp stil slow

BTW the computer is a recent dell, 2.8 P4, that's all i know.

Collapse -
RAM?

In reply to: forgot the processor type

Do you have a reasonable amount of the correct RAM? This will show briefly in the BIOS screen during startup; I find it helpful to run Belarc [Belarc.com], to confirm that what the BIOS is seeing is actually what Windows is using [especially after adding RAM]. If not, one or more of the RAM modules may be damaged or of the wrong type. On general principles I would run CHKDSK from your START / RUN menu, but that shouldn't be necessary after a reformat, which also removes viruses and spyware from the suspects. There are some sites that offer online benchmarking [Google "benchmark" or "speed test"] to show you whether the problem lies in the mobo, hard drive, RAM, or processor. If you have any system documentation, re-check the mobo jumper positions. Norton / Symantec's SystemWorks offers an effective and easy tool for correcting Registry errors and other configuration issues, but it's not free, and, as noted above, these types of issues shouldn't appear immediately after a format and re-install. [You did format the hard drive to eliminate any junk before re-installing, right?] I think the prime suspects would be the hardware components or the software itself. Have you installed XP on another computer from the same disk, to confirm that the software is not corrupted? This is a long shot, because in most cases it wouldn't run slow; it just wouldn't run.

Collapse -

Did you check to see if the fans are all running?? Are the heatsinks full of dust?? If a P4 gets hot it will slow way-way down. One other thing but low chance is that the L1 and L2 catch are disabled this will slow down any processor. With your processor you should be able to install XP in about an hour. John

Collapse -
dells wierd cooling

The fan on the dell case is wierd. The fan sits flush with the back of the case and it brings in cool air from the outside of the case and then with a deflector it blows onto the heatsink on the inside. I'm going to check the l1 andl2 cache.

Collapse -
Thank you John

"f a P4 gets hot it will slow way-way down. One other thing but low chance is that the L1 and L2 catch are disabled this will slow down any processor. With your processor you should be able to install XP in about an hour. John"

This was exactly the answer I was looking for. When reinstalling I had reset bios due to bad hardware and forgot to put back on the options. Reading your post saved me a lot more hours of waiting on installs. Thanks I became a forum member due to this post

Collapse -
Sounds like a bios issue to me

I would hit F2 right after you turn it on and go into the bios and make sure the disk drives are all set to auto. Make sure the processor speed is correct. Save the changes and reboot. If that does not do anything reset the bios. For a newer Dell this should work:

Restart your computer.

At the first text on the screen, or when the Dell logo appears, press the <F2> key every three seconds until the message Entering Setup appears.

When the System Setup screen appears, press the <Alt> + <F> keys at the same time to load the factory defaults.
A beep sounds to indicate the defaults have been loaded.

Check and, if necessary, reset the time, date, and year.

Change the Secondary Drive 0 setting to Auto.

Change USB Legacy Support to Enabled.

Press the <Alt> + <B> keys at the same time to save changes and reboot.

Good luck

Collapse -
Fdisk, format and reinstall...

First, I don't read where you ran FDISK to remove old drive partitions and _then_ formatted the drive. I also recommend you format using the /u switch (unconditional format.)

Dell offers a 'Restore CD' that will reinstall your complete software (Win XP Home or Professional.) Call Dell and ask them for a copy...Try that install method since your version of Win XP isn't doing well.

Dell also has downloads for the latest BIOS upgrades and they are very reliable from my past corporate experience.

Good luck -

- Jan

Collapse -
Dell restore CD?

In reply to: Fdisk, format and reinstall...

I have a Dell but it originally came with Win ME. Changed that to XP. Will that make a difference when using the original Dell restore CD or could I still use the Restore CD and change to Win XP?

Collapse -
I had this same problem just last week...

I was overhauling my ex-wifes pc and once everything was set up and I copied all her files from the original drive I removed it - thereby leaving her with just an 80 Gig Drive. After doing this, the machine took forever to even get through the post let alone have Windows XP Pro start up and let me work. I searched high & low for an answer as to what I had done wrong but to no avail. Eventually I got the idea to remove the jumper from the remaining hard drive (WD 80 Gig drive). It seems that if the drive is a master with no slave present that you should not use a jumper. In any event, by removing that jumper the machine was back up to speed... the post screen was almost non-existent and XP booted up almost instantly and all was once again right with the world. Give it a try... Good Luck.

Collapse -
ios Configuration Utility Alarm

In reply to: I had this same problem just last week...

Yes that jumper config is unique to WD drives. Good job. John

Collapse -
Hard Drive

In reply to: I had this same problem just last week...

All of the Dell computers use cable select to assign the drives.

Collapse -
not enough ram?

I just fixed my friends mother-in-law's computer that took almost 10 minutes to boot up. She had taken it to a few local shops to have it looked at and they couldn't figure it out, so i said i'd have a look. Anyway, it is a 3 year old IBM that came with 128 megs of ram which just wasn't enough, i tried installing another 128 and it now boots in less than 1 minute. Microsoft may say the minimum ram for XP is 64 but in my experience anything less than 256 is not enough. When I build a system now it gets no less than 512. Hope this helps!

Collapse -
slow PC

first you can do the easy thing and that is ,take it to PC world and have a

Collapse -
Was it a fresh install or upgrade from Windows 98?

If it was a fresh install the generic drivers in XP might not be working properly for the Dell.
Did you get all the latest drivers for that model from Dell's web site?
Also do any available Bios updates.
Easiest way to isolate problem is to try each bit of hardware one by one in another PC.
You've already proved it's not the Hard disk, do this with any other removable devices.
A big possibilty is the motherboard IDE driver.
If it isn't the correct one for the Dell m'board the system will crawl. Same goes for the AGP and PCI drivers.
If you cant get these from dell, try to identify which chipset the motherboard is using e.g. VIA, SIS, INTEL...the download the drivers for the board from the chipset manufacturers site. (e.g. Via 4in1, Sis 645, Intel 810 etc
If it didn't used to crawl on Win 98 then for sure it's the chipset drivers.
Try it... good luck

Collapse -
virus

It sounds like a virus!

Collapse -
Slow Dell

As a certified Dell tech. I've seen this problem before. If you have the Dell resource CD, boot to it and run the 32 bit diagnostics. Run the test that are specifically for the proccessor. Either the level 2 cache on the processor has been turned off or it is defective. The last time I ran into this problem it took over an hour just to quick format the hard drive.

PCDOC1

Collapse -
Slow Dell

In reply to: Slow Dell

I have to agree with pcdoc1 on this one. A computer that takes forever to get past the BIOS is usually indicative of some sort of hardware failure/fault, whether it be intentional or accidental. It has been a while since I been real serious with messing with computers but some BIOSes have a BIOS error log cache(I think the term is something like DMI event/error logging). I don't know if Dell's have this feature, but you can always search around in the BIOS for the problem.

Collapse -
Slow Dell too

In reply to: Slow Dell

i was helping a friend with his slow PC and tried to do a reinstall. The PC was a Dell and he had it for about 2 years. I tried to use the CD that it came with originally, but it would not allow me to wipe it and do a complete install. I know he had a lot of spyware and i tried to clean that up as much as possible, but his PC is still very slow. (mainly internet). He is running Windows XP. Any advice?

Collapse -
Win xp slow

Just went thru this on a friends dell pc.he some how changed some of the bios settings in the setup utilty,sounds like u have same problem make sure u set the cpu to run in normal mode not compatible and the cap lock off and the boot order set to 1 flopy 2 c:hard drive and3 cd drive good luck let me know howu make out

Collapse -

What type of ram are you using?

How much ram are you using? Winxp is a mem hog, runs funky on 256, tolerable on 512, good on 1 gig.

Does your bios settings have an area for letting the bios read the ram data & set itself for optimum performance? if so, try that.

are you using the right ram slots ( some mobo's have 4 choices)?

mem is highly dependent upon latency speed. Your mem stick(s) should say latency type on the sticker. Try going to the mfgr site & see if you have the right latency for your cpu.(write down the #'s first).

Last but not least, try downloading & running a program called "cpu tester 4 pro". Takes several hours to run but set correctly will tell you if cpu, bus, mem is ok or not. You could have a defective cpu.

Collapse -
Still Slow

maybe the speed of the hard drive and the MB are not the same. THis will always make a system extremely slow. Maybe you are running a 133mhz drive on a 100mhz board or visa versa.

Collapse -
h.d,

i hope it was a Maxtor.... if so use the installation (maxblast) utility to zero out the drive, If not maxtor,then get another zero fill utility, then install xp, using NTFS (quick format is fine since the drive is zeroed out). This assumes that all jumper settings are correct on the motherboard.

Collapse -
XP install

almach,

Just went thur this myself. Don't think you have A BIOS problem. Yes having L1 & 2 cache disabled will cause system slowdown but not no 7+ hours. Better than even chance that the M/B is going or the Power Supply.

First swap out the ribbon cables and power supply. Disconnect/remove all devices/Cards. Attach only the H/D and one CD. If O/S will not re-install then the M/B is gone. But not all is lost.

Most shops have used cases. Pick one up and swap everthing over to this case with the new M/B.

Also beware of XPs' product activation. As XP was installed on another system you may be required to call M/S for a new Product Key.

Luck

Bill

Collapse -
Slow XP installation

In reply to: XP install

My first bet is that you have an overheated or already cooked processor. running a P2 or greater at a high temp will cause it to slow down.

Second most likely is to check out the disk jumpers (even if disk is cable sensed having jumpers in wrong places an affect performance)

Please post the results of the tests you HAVE performed so we know what worked OR what has not worked. Oh, and good luck. Been there, done that.

tracker619

Collapse -
store this in your MEMORY

The answer to your question about if there is something wrong or not, is MEMORY. RAM, all that stuff. You seem to know an amount about computers, so I will keep the explinations to myself. But if not, just google memory. Just go to radioshack and buy some memory for her pc, and then install it and blah blah blah you know the deal. I hope this has been somewhat useful! good luck!

Collapse -

IT'S SOUND'S LIKE U MIGHT HAVE A BOOT SECTOR VIRUS. EVEN RELOADING WINDOWS WON'T HELP. SEE IF U CAN FIND SOMEONE WITH MAXBLAST IT'S SOFTWARE THAT MAXTOR USEALY GIVE'S WHEN U BYE THERE HARD DRIVE. U NEED TO BOOT OFF THIS AN USE THE UTILY TOOL AN WRITE ZERO'S TO THE HARD DRIVE. DEPENDING ON THE SIZE OF YOUR HARD DRIVE IT CAN TAKE A FEW HOUR'S TO DO. ( MAXTER 120 GIG. TOOK ABOUT 6 AN A HALF HOUR'S TO DO. )MAXBLAST WILL WORK WITH JUST ABOUT ANY HARD DRIVE. AS FOR AS SETTING YOUR MB. BACK TO DEFAULT MOST BOARD'S HAVE A JUMMPER BY THE BATTERY TO RESET THE BOARD, JUST MAKE SURE YOU UNPLUG THE TOWER FIRST. IN MOST CASE YOU WILL HAVE TO RESET THE BOARD'S DAY AN TIME. AN SET IT TO BOOT FROM THE CD DRIVE SO YOU CAN RELOAD WINDOW'S I CAN'T SAY THIS IS WHAT THE PROBLEM IS BUT IT IS SOMEWHERE TO START.

Collapse -
Had the same problem...

I just had the same problem, after my dell became sluggish, decided it was time for a new install of XP - the first attempt took an entire day, just copying the Windows files had to be left overnight - when I finally got to the Windows screens, they we're so slow to load it made the install useless - so I just started a new install 15 mintues ago- it's complete now and works fine - this time I stripped the system to the bare bones (taking out any additional cards, Hard Disks, and CD-Rom Drives),I also reverted to an older CD-Rom drive for the install, and reset the bios from the system menu, and set the jumper pins on the CD-Rom and Harddrive to Master - worked perfectly, don't assume it's a bad hard drive, or install disk it's probably something way more simple...

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.