Computer Help forum

General discussion

After Power Outage Windows XP Won't Load

by sergmatt / May 11, 2010 1:58 AM PDT

Hello and thanks in advance for anyone that can help with this,

I have an older (early 2000's) Gateway PC with Windows XP.

Last night we had kind a power outage and it was kind of a weird one where the power slowly turned off over the course of 2 seconds. My PC and all equipment are plugged into a good surge protector.

When the power came back on I tried to restart the computer and it immediately turns on and everything at first appears normal as it goes to the black screen with the giant Gateway logo......unfortunately that's basically where it ends.

It lingers on the Gateway Logo screen for about a minute and then it goes to a blank screen where the cursor blinks in the upper left hand corner a few times and then that is it. The screen stays blank and the computer goes fairly quiet (as if it's not trying to load anything anymore). The green light does stay on on the front of the PC and the PC definitely still has power.

So it appears that it's not loading windows or not attempting to load windows (or maybe the harddrive is damaged?)

I was able to start the computer and get to the BIOS screen but I have no idea what to do once in BIOS. Also I did start the computer with the Windows XP CD and after getting to the install screen and pressing R to do a Repair....... it does the reinstall/repair but after the computer restarts it goes right back to the blank screen.

The only other weird thing I noticed is now to power down the computer I only briefly have to touch the power button and it shuts off fast. I used to have to hold the button down for a few seconds to power it down.

Anybody have any ideas of what is going wrong?

Thanks again for all of your help in advance

- Matt

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: After Power Outage Windows XP Won't Load
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: After Power Outage Windows XP Won't Load
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Let's do a test.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 11, 2010 2:01 AM PDT
Collapse -
Isn't this for Linux
by sergmatt / May 11, 2010 2:07 AM PDT
In reply to: Let's do a test.

Reading that makes it sound like this Knoppix is for Linus? I have XP so I don't see how this might help me?

Collapse -
Sorry if you missed it.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 11, 2010 2:10 AM PDT
In reply to: Isn't this for Linux

This is how I test to see if the machine can run that. It's a test and it also allows me to see if the machine's hard drive is functioning.

If performing a test like this is not possible and we have no need to save the owner's files then we proceed to using the Recovery Media.
Bob

Collapse -
Can I burn this to a thumbdrive
by sergmatt / May 11, 2010 2:15 AM PDT

Hi Robert,

I am at work right now so I can't test this until afternoon when I get home......but can I burn this to a USB/Thumbdrive and then boot from the USB drive?

I'm posting this from work obviously since my pc is out of order.

Collapse -
Absolutely.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 11, 2010 2:35 AM PDT

Over at UBUNTU web pages are instructions on that. Let's get them.

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/LiveCD

"LiveCD sessions are good to:

* give a 'demo' session on a machine before installing or upgrading
o checks hardware works as expected "

We don't need to install this but can use it to give ourselves help in determining if the machine works at all.

I won't repeat prior content such as data recovery, etc for the sake of brevity. I also skip duplication of the Ubuntu documentation.
Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Does BMW or Volvo do it best?

Pint-size luxury and funky style

Shopping for a new car this weekend? See how the BMW X2 stacks up against the Volvo XC40 in our side-by-side comparison.