Windows Legacy OS forum

Question

After PC Repair infection, xp doesn't recognize new drives.

After a PC Repair infection my Dell Dim400 Xp sp3 quit recognizing my secondary internal drive. I get a stop 0x0000007B or NMI: Parity Check/Memory Parity Error. Old drive by itself boots fine. New drive as usb is fine too, but internally causes error. Trying to use a third new blank drive and install new xp on it to get of problem but am getting the errors when booting from dvd too.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: After PC Repair infection, xp doesn't recognize new drives.
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: After PC Repair infection, xp doesn't recognize new drives.
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Just a few ideas.

In reply to: After PC Repair infection, xp doesn't recognize new drives.

While I find many today can't configure IDE drives or want to, that's one problem you can look into (or tell the forum every detail about jumpers and cables.)

Ideas.

Many infections disable the plug and play service so to set that back to automatic and reboot then hope.

And keep scanning with Grif's advice at 7726-6132_102-5098912.html?tag=posts;msg5099421

Remember that recovering the OS is never a sure thing. Always prepare for that fresh start.
Bob

Collapse -
did most of these things already

In reply to: Just a few ideas.

The drives are sata. No jumpers and using the cables provided by dell when trying to use it as the new boot drive or the dell cable for power and a third party sata for the mb connection.
Plug and play has not been turned off, or the restore to earlier config did it, anyway its on.

Malabytes caught the thing as did either spybot or windows defender, don't remember now.

Already ran unhide. Most everything is back, it just won't recognize these new drives, one is a seagate 1tb caviar green that was running fine internally as second drive(I have 500gb data on it andall data is there and drive seems fine when run as usb external). The other new drive (500gb seagate caviar blue) when put in first or second bay, being either sata0 or sata3 does the same as the 1tb Stop 07B. Put the original 160GB back in and it boots.

Going to keep scanning. Anybody have a clue? I think virus is gone, but it did something that I can't find to fix.

Collapse -
NO MAKE OR MODEL. Also no mention of SATA.

In reply to: did most of these things already

Your last post changes my advice slightly.

1. Enable the service I noted.
2. XP knows NOTHING about SATA. In some machines we connect up SATA and then use a BIOS IDE EMULATION which is a CAN OF WORMS. The drive MUST show in device manager or it won't show at all.

3. Not only that but unless the XP CD has SP2 or later, I see too many failures so unless the XP CD is SP2 or later, trouble.

4. There can be a reason for the other drive to cause issues. Remember you are in that strange SATA setup where your boot drive works. If the connections are just so, you connect the other drive and it automagically becomes the IDE MASTER BOOT drive and nothing works.

I see this a lot and given no manual I know of covers this maybe XP's days are numbered.
Bob

Collapse -
what's nuts is hardware worked before virus

In reply to: NO MAKE OR MODEL. Also no mention of SATA.

Thanks for answering R. In answer to your response.

1. plug and play sedrvice is on and automatic
2.the bios sees the drive, can't get to device manager because it crashes before xp runs
3.dixsc is xp sp2
4. doesn't matter where in the bios the drive is put 0 1 3 it crashes

I want now to put system on the new drive but can't get it to boot with drive connected.

dell dim xps 400 xp sp3
drives that crash are seagate 1tb green and 500 gbblue

gets to windows screen and then crashes before logon screen

stuck

Collapse -
Time to check out a LIVE CD

In reply to: what's nuts is hardware worked before virus

Now be careful and unplug the working drive the attach one that doesn't.

Boot up a LIVE CD such as Ubuntu or Puppy Linux and look at that odd drive. You can delete or copy out files then one more boot with GPARTED to delete all the partitions on the odd drive.

Now, with a blank HDD you can put in the good drive and it should work. HOWEVER all that nutty SATA IDE emulation is going to haunt folk for years.
Bob

Collapse -
Same thing

In reply to: Time to check out a LIVE CD

Booting into Ubuntu(very cool, hadn't seen this before) with the drive hooked up the boot is fine.I can see the blank new 500gb drive. Can partition it wipe it whatever. reboot, change bios to hd wit windows on it and crash same as before. It gets to the windows screen, before logon , and crashes bsod.

Collapse -
After all this.

In reply to: Same thing

It sounds like you have the SATA in native mode. I can't see what the BIOS offers but did you take it out of NATIVE? Remember, there are 20+ names for this setting.
Bob

Collapse -
Answer
After Running The Scanners Mentioned In Bob's Post Above...

..and making sure that all malware is gone, please click on the the link below and download the "unhide.exe" file which will frequently fix the problem registry entries that make various files, folders, and drives disappear. Once you've downloaded the file to your desktop, double click on it to run the fixer.

Clicking on the link below will immediately open a download dialogue window.

http://download.bleepingcomputer.com/grinler/unhide.exe

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
Nothing works

In reply to: After Running The Scanners Mentioned In Bob's Post Above...

Thanks for answering Grif,

But nothing works. I haven't been able to find this specific problem on the net either.

Collapse -
Answer
XP with SATA drive Blue screen of death

I have an older HP/compaq tc4200 tablet. In 2009 I bought, a 2009 MFG date, WD 500GB Scorpio Blue. It works fine with the tablet. I just bought a 2011 MFG date everything else the same and I get a blue screen with the NMI: parity check/memory parity check error. Because I already had one I didn't pay as much attention to the person who sold it to me as I should have. He told me the new hard drives like I was buying needed a patch/driver up date to work correctly with XP and to make sure I have at least SP2 or it wouldn't work at all. He said that to take full advantage of the new operating systems they had changed the size of something. This is the part I did not pay enough attn to and so can not explain it to any one else, but I am going to have to go back the 50 miles and ask as I have not found anything on this on the web and what I must up date to fix it.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.