Windows 7 forum

Resolved Question

After new motherboard computer says, "Windows not Genuine"

by edweather / March 25, 2015 2:05 PM PDT

I hope this is the right forum, will try here first. I just replaced the motherboard in my HP Touchsmart 310-1037. Now the computer says that my Windows 7 is not genuine, and that I won't get updates, etc.. Is there a fix for this without buying Windows again? Thanks. Ed

edweather has chosen the best answer to their question. View answer
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: After new motherboard computer says, "Windows not Genuine"
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: After new motherboard computer says, "Windows not Genuine"
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Best Answer chosen by edweather

Collapse -
OEM Windows
by YoShLK-II / March 27, 2015 1:34 AM PDT

Dis you try calling Microsoft Sales/Support?

Collapse -
We will.
by edweather / March 27, 2015 2:14 PM PDT
In reply to: OEM Windows

I'll get around to it soon. At least it's not an emergency. Windows still works and will still receive the critical updates. The negatives are a black desktop, and annoying messages once in a while, and the note on the bottom right corner of the screen about non-genuine Windows. I will do everything possible to get it back to normal. Thanks, Ed

Collapse -
Here's some news....
by edweather / March 29, 2015 4:22 AM PDT
In reply to: We will.

..........I found a Windows key on the bottom of the computer base. Let's see what happens.

Collapse -
Great News!
by edweather / March 29, 2015 5:21 AM PDT
In reply to: Here's some news....

All I had to do was type the Windows Product Key into the box, and it activated. Woot woot!!!!!! Blush

Collapse -
still not legit per microsoft
by renegade600 / March 31, 2015 5:32 AM PDT
In reply to: Great News!

still not legit per microsoft. don't be surprised if it is declared non-genuine again at a later date.

Collapse -
What do you mean?
by edweather / March 31, 2015 3:20 PM PDT

I spoke to MS on the phone before I input the code, and read the number directly to them, and they verified it, and told me it was good.

Collapse -
the key is good but
by renegade600 / March 31, 2015 10:12 PM PDT
In reply to: What do you mean?

makes no difference. you need to read the oem eula for win7 in regards to motherboard upgrades. as I said, do not be surprised if your system is eventually declared non genuine. I have seen it happen too many times. users violate the oem eula and still get it activated by microsoft help, then from a few months to a year or so later, microsoft runs an updated version of the genuine test on their system, and the os get deactivated. You have been warned.

Collapse -
I think it's OK in this case.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 1, 2015 1:31 AM PDT
In reply to: the key is good but

It was a maker's own motherboard that was replaced with same maker motherboard. Should be fine.
Bob

Collapse -
Part number was exact......
by edweather / April 1, 2015 4:27 AM PDT

That's correct Rob.

The motherboard was replaced with the exact original part number. I was also getting help from a MS Moderator on a MS forum, and ran a diagnostic tool, and the Mod told me all I had to do was use the sticker key (not OEM key) to activate Windows, and that's what I did. What I didn't know was that there are 2 different activation keys on OEM installs: The first is used in the factory, and that only works once. The second (different from the first) is the product key on the sticker, which is used after a hardware modification, etc.

Anyway, we shall see, and like you say, I was made aware of it..."warned" is a bit strong, don't you think Wink The MS folks think I did the right thing, so I'm good with that for now.<div>
Thanks for the help. Ed
</div>

Collapse -
Answer
When you post the motherboard was changed
by lacsr / March 25, 2015 9:21 PM PDT

Did you do it or a service tech? Was the motherboard an HP model, the same as original? Is this still Windows 7?

Collapse -
Answer
Re: motherboard
by Kees_B Forum moderator / March 25, 2015 9:40 PM PDT

Might be right. The OEM license is only valid on the original PC, so if you change the motherboard to another one, it's no longer valid on the updated PC. For all purposes (except you!) it's a new machine. Adding RAM, replacing the videocard, even replacing the HDD is no issue, but replacing the motherboard by a different is.

Kees

Collapse -
Answer
"The OEM license is only valid on the original PC" by Kees.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 26, 2015 1:55 AM PDT

Yup, I agree. You can find tomes on the web about "branding" the motherboard but you can try using the restore media you have and see if this clears up.
Bob

Collapse -
Restore media?
by edweather / March 26, 2015 5:00 AM PDT

I replace the board myself. Fairly easy, but now this. Yea that's what I figured, Windows thinks it's in a different computer. Can you explain what restore media means, and how to do it? Thanks.

Collapse -
Google that?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 26, 2015 5:11 AM PDT
In reply to: Restore media?
https://www.google.com/#q=What+is+restore+media

So that's the set of discs you made to restore the machine to its factory condition. My hope here is this is a HP board and the restore will work around the issue. Buying an OS is another hundred bucks and all the work of driver hunting and more.
Bob
Collapse -
If you can get the restore media to run
by lacsr / March 26, 2015 8:52 AM PDT
In reply to: Restore media?

Then it should activate the install when it completes. Since it is Windows 7 and the if the replacement motherboard was/is an HP replacement, it should still be OK.

Collapse -
Answer
your win 7 is non genuine
by renegade600 / March 26, 2015 5:54 AM PDT

You will have to purchase a new os. No legit way around it. Restore media will only have drivers for the old motherboard and not the new AND the restore media is the same as what is already installed and was already declared non genuine so no reason to waste your time.

Collapse -
Yep!
by edweather / March 26, 2015 10:17 AM PDT

Plus I don't have any restore discs. So far no real biggie though, windows still works. Maybe in the near future I will cough up the hunny, but not today. Thanks for all the help. Ed

Collapse -
If the PC works, you may be able to make restore media.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 27, 2015 1:26 AM PDT
In reply to: Yep!

HP and others have a make your own media so why not do that now?

Collapse -
Good suggestion.
by edweather / March 27, 2015 2:11 PM PDT

I will look into that thanks.

Collapse -
Answer
Actually calling MS won't
by orlbuckeye / April 2, 2015 11:58 PM PDT

work. When you purchase an OEM computer they install and support the OS. If the OEM replaces the motherboard they will activate Windows for you. The issue is if you buy a mobo from someone else and install it yourself the license doesn't transfer.

Collapse -
Here's my MS thread
by edweather / April 3, 2015 4:38 AM PDT
Collapse -
I've had a chat about OEM and such in Redmond.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 3, 2015 4:44 AM PDT
In reply to: Here's my MS thread

Microsoft is not about to make a court case about changing a motherboard in a HP or other PC and locking out the OS from working again. It would set a dangerous and expensive precedent so while they do not have to work out OEM license issues I have found they will to avoid what could be a bad decision against them.

Like replacing a Ford motor with a Ford motor then Delco telling you your computer engine box license is void, this is not going to be a winning case for Delco.

You solved it so there's proof it's fine. Some folk want to scare others.
Bob

Collapse -
Thanks Rob
by edweather / April 3, 2015 6:38 AM PDT

Yea, I agree. Ed

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Does BMW or Volvo do it best?

Pint-size luxury and funky style

Shopping for a new car this weekend? See how the BMW X2 stacks up against the Volvo XC40 in our side-by-side comparison.