Computer Help forum

General discussion

After Creating a New Tab in Firefox...

by zlzpqx / September 22, 2012 10:37 AM PDT

I had posted yesterday at 7:21 AM the post which I have attached below. An additional somewhat related annoying phenomenon has newly started in Firefox browser. Whenever I create a new tab, automatically a "Search" window with the web site URL http://search.babylon.com/?affID=110790&tt=120912_ccp_3812_7&babsrc=NT_ss&mntrId=a294b26e00000000000074de2b250925 has started appearing on my screen!

I positively don't want the above spurious web page just as I don't want, as described below, the "Google Search" window and the spurious multiple "Google Search" tabs at Startup of my computer.

======================

My previous post:

Firefox Tabs and Home Page

I have Windows 7. Firefox is my default browser.

In Tools > Options> General > Startup, for "When Firefox starts", I have selected the option "Show my windows and tabs from last time". With regard to the next "Home page" item, three options are available: "Use current pages", "Use bookmark...", and "Restore to default". (Clicking on "Restore to default" supplies "Mozilla Firefox as start page".) Frustratingly, IRRESPECTIVE of which of those three options I use and then after clicking on "OK", I close that window, the following has somehow started happening recently:

Suppose that before I shut down my computer, there were Firefox tabs for certain three web pages. When I restart my computer, the tabs for those three web pages do properly appear on my screen, but BESIDES them, tabs for as many as FOUR "Google search" web pages have mysteriously started appearing, with one of those "Google search" windows then appearing as my home page! I do not want ANY of those four "Google search" tabs to be added on in my Tabs bar, nor do I want a "Google search" window to appear as my home page. When I check the "Home page" item in Tools > Options> General > Startup, the name of that darned "Google search" appears there!!!

The above phenomenon is both mysterious and very frustrating to me.

How do I get rid of all of those automatically introduced FOUR "Google search" tabs and the "Google search" home page too whenever I start my computer??

Thank you for the help!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: After Creating a New Tab in Firefox...
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: After Creating a New Tab in Firefox...
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
I, too, have noticed
by lacsr / September 22, 2012 10:17 PM PDT

I use FireFox as my primary browser, have not noticed this in FireFox, but in Google Chrome the phenomenon that is described here is happening. I will watch this discussion in the hope the cause is something simple and not a malware. I ran a malwarebytes scan but it came back clean.

Collapse -
Mischief Mongers from Babylon
by zlzpqx / September 23, 2012 1:28 AM PDT
In reply to: I, too, have noticed

I found that Babylon virus had introduced three things in my computer:

(1) Introduction of a program named "Babylon toolbar on IE";

(2) Introduction of a program named "BabylonObject Installer"; and

(3) Introduction of a Babylon search engine.

So I uninstalled the above two programs and also removed the Babylon search engine from my menu of search engines.

------------------------

There is quite a bit of discussion on Babylonian mischief in http://forums.cnet.com/7723-6132_102-565014/how-to-remove-babylon-virus/.

Collapse -
Addendum: Good News
by zlzpqx / September 23, 2012 3:54 AM PDT

This is a Good News concerning the problem which I had stated under "My previous post".

Out of curiosity, I opened the available FAQ link in the web site http://static.infoaxe.com/websearch.html?u=10907447&t=1.0.4.5, which used to appear in a spuriously generated "Google +Flip" tab. (I used to mistakenly think that those were spuriously generated "Google Search" tabs.)

Clearly, some Infoaxe folks have brazenly used Google's trademark in their own "Flipora"/"Google+Flip" web site.

Anyway, I have successfully implemented the straightforward method which is provided in the FAQ to get rid of both of my "Google+Flip" annoyances.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!