Windows Vista forum

Resolved Question

After booting get "Failure-Security option" message

by jayvee44 / August 23, 2013 4:18 AM PDT

After booting get "Failure-Security option" message

Last night my
desktop pc hung when shutting down.
I did not
realize this had happened till I returned to the study an hour or so later. I then had to do a 'hard' shut
down using button on front of pc.
This morning when booting up, inevitably got the page telling me Windows
had not shut down properly etc, and I chose option to boot as normal.
Booted up OK as far as loading Desktop but sidebar did not load. I then
clicked on an icon on desktop and the pc hung (with the rotating
circle). Nothing would respond, not even task manager when pressing
Ctrl-Alt-Del. All I got was a pop-up with the words Failure-Security option and Logon process has failed to create the security options dialog.
I had to once again do a hard shut down.
This happened a few times in succession, with the same message popping up.
I can't quite remember exactly what
I did after that, though I did try going into Safe Mode not quite
knowing what to look for - then it hung in Safe Mode too. I switched
everything off and left it for while.
I then decided to try a System
Restore, but first have one more go at a normal boot.This time it all
went well, but nevertheless I still went for a System Restore.
This
started OK but after a few moments the computer went to shut down
(didn't know if this was normal as never had to use System Restore
before)....anyway it hung again on the shutting down window. I left it
for a couple of hours as I was worried that if the System Restore had
properly begun it might cause big problems if I forced a shut down?? But eventually had to do a hard shut down.
My OS, btw, is Vista on service pack 2 (though luckily never had any probs with it).
Typing this on my laptop, but really need the desktop!

Any advice on what might be wrong or what to do will be very welcome and much appreciated. Thanks Happy

jayvee44 has chosen the best answer to their question. View answer
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: After booting get "Failure-Security option" message
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: After booting get "Failure-Security option" message
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Clarification Request
I looked at prior discussions at link.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 23, 2013 4:49 AM PDT
Collapse -
Thanks for the link
by jayvee44 / August 24, 2013 2:40 AM PDT

Thanks Bob for your helpful response. No, I hadn't come across any prior discussions on this problem, perhaps because I didn't 'google' the full wording?
Anyway I clicked on the link you gave, which produced a whole lot of stuff that I am just going through. Looks promising - and tomorrow, when I have more time, I'll take the laptop to the desktop pc to follow instructions from the screen. Hopefully something will work.
Really appreciate your help, and I'll come back with an update when I've had a go Happy

Collapse -
I didn't want you upset.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 24, 2013 2:59 AM PDT
In reply to: Thanks for the link

But I couldn't distill what's been written about this to something more specific. I think you see why I had to defer to the prior discussions.
Bob

Collapse -
All seems OK now (I hope)
by jayvee44 / August 25, 2013 7:24 AM PDT

I understand Bob - no worries - you helped a lot.

However, today before I got to work on dealing with the problem, I thought that first I'd have one more try in booting up the computer normally - and lo and behold everything went fine and all seemed as normal.
Mind you, I haven't risked closing down and trying to re-boot, as I wanted to catch up with some stuff using software on this pc that's not on my laptop.
Fingers crossed it all starts up again tomorrow. But if the problem re-appears, I'll refer to the possible solutions which you kindly led me to. In that case I'll get back here with an update. Computers eh! Temperamental things at times!
Thanks again Happy

Collapse -
Still OK
by jayvee44 / September 1, 2013 12:19 AM PDT

After 7 days, happily everything is still working OK. The problem seems to have resolved itself without any intervention from me. No explanation comes to mind - just one of those weird things I guess. But thanks again to Bob for your help and advice.
I've made a note of the links just in case the problem re-occurs at a later date.......Hope not!!

All Answers

Best Answer chosen by jayvee44

Collapse -
Update
by jayvee44 / February 23, 2014 12:18 AM PST

In my last post (September 1st) I thought my problem had been resolved, as all had been working well for seven days. However soon after that, the problem re-occurred, and everything I tried gave no result.
I put up with it for a few weeks more, then I'd just about decided to go for a clean install, when I thought I'd give TuneUp Utilities a try. It was (and still is as far as I know) available as a free download on a trial basis, so thinking it was worth a shot, I downloaded and installed the software. I then let it scan the computer, which didn't take long, and the following problems/errors were found - which I then allowed TU to sort by choosing the option 'Fix'.

708 Registry - corrected
213 Broken shortcuts - corrected
1,672 Windows programmes - cleaned up
30,906 Browser - 30,901 deleted
10 recommendations to optimize system startup & shutdown - applied

It was a leap of faith to sit back and let the programme do what it had to do, but it did the trick. Since then (just over two months ago) I have had no further problems as described in my original post. Such a relief! I'm just keeping my fingers crossed that it stays this way till I get my new computer, hopefully in a month or two.
When I do get the new P.C. I will most certainly be purchasing TuneUp Utilities to maintain it. Happy

Collapse -
Possible solution
by shadoggy / June 18, 2014 10:53 PM PDT
In reply to: Update

Jayvee,

My Toshiba Protege with Vista started with the same issue a couple of days ago. I found the answer posted here http://www.vistaforums.com/error-message-login-process-has-failed-create-security-options-dialog-t3287p13.html by persistnwin works. Copying his answer here to avoid additional searching headache.

"<b>I had the same problem running Vista Home Basic. I solved the problem as follows: In Safe Mode with Network
Support: 1) Restore default settings for Windows Firewall. 2) Run
MSConfig and click on the Services Tab. Uncheck 2 Services boxes: a)
Superfetch. b) Security Center. Click OK and Restart. Boot up again in
Safe Mode with Network Support. Run msconfig again. Click on the
Services Tab and this time Check the Box for Security Center. Click OK
and Restart in Normal Mode. The problem should be gone. Make sure that
when you open Security Center it opens normally with all options
showing. Once Security Center appears normally, your system works faster
and more importantly, you can use Control-Alt-Delete again successfully
without getting the black screen system freeze."

</b>Hope this helps others.

S

Collapse -
No further problem
by jayvee44 / June 25, 2014 1:53 AM PDT
In reply to: Possible solution

Thanks shadoggy - luckily the problem has not re-occurred since I used TuneUp Utilities (AVG) four months ago. I'm hoping things stay that way till I finally get my new p.c. - and when I do, I intend to purchase the software to maintain it.
I hope the solution you found helped you. Happy

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

The Samsung RF23M8090SG

One of the best French door fridges we've tested

A good-looking fridge with useful features like an auto-filling water pitcher and a temperature-adjustable "FlexZone" drawer. It was a near-flawless performer in our cooling tests.