Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

After applying the Auto Patcher XP Dec2005 my PC went

by RunSilent23 / May 16, 2006 3:27 AM PDT

After applying the Auto Patcher XP Dec2005 my PC went on blues. After installing and restarting the pc the system hangs continueously and some error showing"Windows Explorer has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience. and also this error soon after the above one"DrWatson Postmortem Debugger has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience." This both errors are turning my PC upside down and i have no chance other then restarting the pc. My system is Windows Xp SP2,Intel Celeron 845 PGV chipset and 640MB of ram please help me.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: After applying the Auto Patcher XP Dec2005 my PC went
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: After applying the Auto Patcher XP Dec2005 my PC went
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Wow huge problem
by dvesh / May 16, 2006 4:11 AM PDT

1.Try to go into safe mode by perssing F8 right after turning on the computer. Login as usual and do a system restore to an erlier time that patch was applied.

2.The first thing I always recommend is using the sfc/ scannow. Click on Start/ run and type "sfc/ scannow" without quotes. Of course you are gonna tell me that Windows Explorer is doing the error thing. Right after you boot up windows open the Task Manager by pressing Ctrol+Alt+Del in the keyboard, or by right clicking the taskbar and selecting TASK MANAGER.
Once there click on Processes Tab and look for explorer.exe, highlight it and click on end process. You will see that the only open Windows will be the Task Manager and Windows Explorer error should not bother you during that time. So now you should be able to run the sfc/ scannow. Have your XP CD handy cos' it will probably ask you for it in case Windows would need to replace a damaged file. When finished just restart the computer using the task manager...

Hope this help

Collapse -
Options
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / May 16, 2006 4:15 AM PDT

Not sure what you mean by ''Applying the AutoPatcher XP Dec2005''.

Do you mean you installed AutoPatcher XP Dec2005, or do you mean when it downloaded and installed a Windows patch?

If it is problems with the AutoPatcher program itself, can you uninstall it?

Can you Restore to a point before applying, using System Restore?

Can you roll back Windows using the ''Last known good configuration'' in the Safe Mode list of options?

If it is a problem with a Windows update, do you know which update, and if so, can you uninstall that update?

Have you had problems with Windows Updates before, either with AutoPatcher or without?

Have you checked the Neowin.net forums about AutoPatcher?

Why did you Apply the Dec2005 version? I understand there have been newer versions since Dec2005. Have you tried to install an older version of AutoPatcher over a newer one?

Mark

Collapse -
First
by PKsteven / May 16, 2006 4:24 AM PDT

First of all, can you uninstall the auto patcher? I have heard many problems with auto patcher and so far, wouldn't recommend it. Since it was Dec 2005 , very unlikely a sys restore will work but see if you can uninstall auto patcher or go to the site forum they may have a fix for your problem.

http://www.neowin.net/forum/index.php?showforum=89

Another note, you may end up re-installing your system, and I suggest sticking to Windows updates. Also, (not accusing here you understand, just saying)IF you have a pirated copy of XP, you will get a lot of errors, IF this is the case, I suggest going legal as many have out right said they had bad copies of XP and were experiencing shutdowns, blue screens, etc...It's not worth it to use a pirated copy by any means. Once again, I am not saying YOU do, but have to put that in as it is a fact with auto patcher.

Collapse -
apologies
by PKsteven / May 16, 2006 4:51 AM PDT
In reply to: First

my apologies to the other posters, my internet is slow and by the time I replied, your answers were already there. I will bow out here,lol.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?