HolidayBuyer's Guide

Computer Help forum

Question

After A Power Outage, Can't Defrag And Loss Of Data.

by ComeToPass / August 10, 2011 6:46 AM PDT

After a recent power outage while my computer was running, I 've experienced a few problems. Some installed programs either won't load at all or parts of them won't, System Restore is diabled in a way that only a little black window (like Command Prompt) starts momentarily then goes away. I get a few error messeges now that I didn't before. Some of my PCs behavior resembles that of malware, but I've done full scans with Malwarebytes, SuperAntiSpyware, Avast - all to no avail. Despite these problems, the PC performs as well as before, EXCEPT after a few days of regular use, the disk is fragmented to the point that it runs like a squeaky rocking chair. AND NOTHING DEFRAGS! Auslogics, IObit Smart Defrag, WinUtilities, Wise Defrag, etc. The only hope is to do a restore created on Comodo Time Machine AFTER the power outage and start over. I've tried chckdsk, and it "fixed" errors due to bad clusters. Still, no difference. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. The main thing is the loss of defrag ability. I can live with the rest. Thank You.
MS Windows XP Professional SP3 Intel Pentium 4 CPU 2.60 GHtz 512 MB RAM Intel 82865G Graphics Controller

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: After A Power Outage, Can't Defrag And Loss Of Data.
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: After A Power Outage, Can't Defrag And Loss Of Data.
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
"uslogics, IObit Smart Defrag, WinUtilities, Wise Defrag,
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 10, 2011 7:16 AM PDT

"uslogics, IObit Smart Defrag, WinUtilities, Wise Defrag, etc. The only hope is to do a restore created on Comodo Time Machine"

Frankly that's unlikely to help in a corrupted OS situation. When the power cuts out you are never quite sure of what file got toasted.

And about all those tools? Not one is something I use. Yes I do use CLONEZILLA to save images so I can restore in a pinch and yes I have copies of files I can't lose on multiple drives, USB keys and now ... DROPBOX.

Maybe it's time to start over?
Bob

Collapse -
Answer
Possible Answer to ''After A Power Outage, Can't Defrag...''
by Bill_R_TechSpec / August 18, 2011 4:10 AM PDT

There is a rogue malware infection running around that hides itself by posing as a running process. If it is detected and "disinfected" or removed, it simply reloads itself on start up and it is back again.

Some users report that it is not particularly obvious, but it can drain your system's resources and disable certain processes (like system restore, etc.) Some users have resorted to a complete re-install, but that may not be needed, as this procedure that has proven very effective at defeating this infection (as a last resort, the "PSS" section below goes into how to repair the Windows installation before actually re-installing it):

0. Ensure the Hard Disc Drive is not damaged or faulty.
Solution - Run CheckDisk:

a. Start> Computer >select C Drive>Right Click C Drive>select "Properties">"Tools" > click "Check Now"> Select both boxes and click "Start".
b. This can take a long time, so let it complete (may take all night or longer).

1. Do a System Restore to a point before this started (if you can't get into system restore, see PS below):
a. Start - All Programs - Accessories - System Tools - System Restore (click to open);
b. Select a restore point well before you started having these problems;
c. Start the restore process and let it complete.Note: you will need to re-install any programs and maybe the updates that were installed after that restore point).

2. Get good Anti-Virus and Anti-Spyware programs (AVG is good for Anti Virus; MalWare Bytes is a good, free anti malware program as is SuperAntiSpyware -- see links below.

Get an Anti-Virus if you don't have one and Malware Bytes & SuperAntiSpyware).

AVG AntiVirus: http://download.cnet.com/AVG-Anti-Virus-Free-Edition-2011/3000-2239_4-10320142.html
MalWare Bytes: http://download.cnet.com/Malwarebytes-Anti-Malware/3000-8022_4-10804572.html
SuperAntiSpyware: http://download.cnet.com/SuperAntiSpyware-Free-Edition/3000-8022_4-10523889.html

a. Download and run Rkill at http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/anti-virus/rkill

Rkill stops fake processes that are running on the system (don't restart your system as this will just restart the process).

If you can't run Rkill it is being stopped by the malware -- the site above has it under different names so the malware does not "see it". Simply download one of the other names (or all of them if you want) and try a different one by one or change the file's name to something else and then install and run it.

Once RKill completes, your AV will probably find the infection and neutralize it. Whatever happens, just go to the next step. DON'T RESTART THE PC as the malware will just re-load.

b. Download Malware Bytes and install it. Also download and install SuperAntiSpyware
c. Run a complete (full) SpyWare scan with Malware Bytes and handle whatever it finds. Repeat with SuperAntiSpyware, handling what it finds.
d. Run a complete Virus Scan and handle whatever it finds (if you are going to change AV programs, remove the old one first before installing AVG).

Make sure you run FULL or COMPLETE or WHOLE PC scans.

3. Next, ensure the Registry is clean and the disk's clutter is also cleaned out.
Solution: Get and run a good registry cleaner.

a. Get CCleaner here: http://download.cnet.com/ccleaner/
b. Run the Registry cleaner till it finds and corrects all errors
c. Run the "Cleaner" to analyze the disk and see what files it finds to delete and then delete the files that are not needed (most of the files it finds are unneeded, but look through the categories to be safe).
d. In CCleaner, under "Tools", go to "Start Up" and look over the programs that start up on your PC.

You may see a lot of programs that simply do not need to start up when you first boot up your PC. Disable these and leave only the essential ones (if not sure, note down the program name and then try to open it up via Start-> All Programs. If not essential, disable them). These are big "RAM Eaters" and many times are not needed at start up -- if you do need to use them, you can start them up as needed.

4. Run a good disk defrag. If you use the computer more than occasionally, the built-in may not cut it.

Consider downloading a free trial of a third party commercial defrag tool.Third party programs are more robust and many work in the background so you can use your PC while defragging.Most third party programs offer a free, fully-functional trial (the better ones are for 30 days).

Below is a recent Top 10 Reviews side-by-side comparison of the best defrag programs available.http://disk-defragmenter-software-review.toptenreviews.com/a. Select a program and install it. The better defrag programs are automatic and the top placers in the above review can defrag while using the PC. The top placer was completely transparent during defrag and it also prevents fragmentation (see the review or download a free trial at the site below).

b. Defragment your disk drives. The best defrag programs are very fast. You will be able to see the progress and with the gold medalist, you can use the PC while it is working with no problems.

Good luck to you!Bill R TechSpec

PS: If you can't get into System Restore, don't despair -- it means you're on the right track (the malware is protecting itself). Just go onto Step 2.

If you can't run the scans, go to Safe Mode as directed below and run the scans from safe mode:

A. Restart the PC and tap the F8 button repeatedly as it is booting up (before Windows splash screen come on). If windows starts, you need to re-start the PC after it completes and start the repeated tapping of F8 sooner)
B. Select "Safe Mode with Networking"
C. When it completes the boot up to Safe Mode, it may give you the option to go to System Restore.

Try to go there and do Step 1 and proceed with step 2, etc. from safe mode...

PSS; If still not working properly, proceed to the next step to Repair the Windows Installation:

a. Insert your Windows installation disk in the disk drive;
b. Re-start your PC and opt to boot onto the disc drive ensuring the CD or DVD drive is selected as a boot device before the HDD;
c. When asked if you want to install windows or repair it, select REPAIR (if you select install it will format the drive and install Windows but you will lose your files, so select REPAIR);
d. This will check all the system files and replace them as needed.

Once complete, you should be able to boot into windows and all should be fine.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

HOLIDAY GIFT GUIDE 2017

Cameras that make great holiday gifts

Let them start the new year with a step up in photo and video quality from a phone.