PC Hardware forum

General discussion

Afraid of processor overheating

A few months ago I took my computer in to the geek squad because I was having problems with my secondary hard drive not being recognized. After getting it back home I noticed that it was alot louder than it had been before I had taken in. I later discovered that they had installed SpeedFan software, which didn't concern me much, I just figured they knew more than I did (obviously since I needed their help in the first place) and that they thought I needed it. But lately I've been noticing the noise of the fan more and the temp of my processor while idle is about 50-52C. Which from the research I did seems a bit hot. And when running games (Company of Heroes for example) it got up to about 65C. I keep my computer in an open area with plenty of room to breath.

System:

Alienware Area 51 (bought it in 04)
Pentium 4 560 3.6 Ghz LGA775
2Gig ram
8800 GTS 640Mb (just upgraded)

Games and programs run fine but I'm just worried that my P4 is on it's way to intel heaven. I've been thinking of upgrading to a Core2 but as long as my current one is working I can't really justify the upgrade. Just need to know if this is normal, is there something I can do about it, or is it time to upgrade?

Side note: if I should upgrade would I have to buy a new heatsink fan for the new processor?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Afraid of processor overheating
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Afraid of processor overheating
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
See link below

In reply to: Afraid of processor overheating

http://processorfinder.intel.com/details.aspx?sSpec=SL7KN#

Might be able to get a more efficient and quieter HS FAN combo. And think of that is being usable if you upgrade too.

That upper temp is higher than I'd like it... how sure are you it's accurate ? One of my systems with an older P4 is running at 86F.

VAPCMD
Collapse -
Thanks for the reply

In reply to: See link below

Well I'm only going off of what the speedfan software told me. I had never worried about it before, but ever since my old ATI X800 XT started overheating I started paying more attention to these things. I can hear the fan really working sometimes especially with processing intensive programs; Civ4 for example. A few times it got really fast and loud. Like any minute it was going to explode or something.

Can you recomend any good heatsink fan combos? I'd really like to keep the old processor going for as long as I can and save the money for a new computer down the road.

Collapse -
Some cooling suggestions

The new graphics card even runs hotter but this is normal. It should be showing up on SpeedFan as well. 50C-52C isn't too hot but I'd be concerned with the 60C+ temperatures. Is it running OK at these temperatures or is it beginning to loss graphics details or monetarily crashing/hanging at these temperatures. You can test this by running a virus scan and watch for these symptoms. Just that you can hear the fans is a sign there is an over heat problem. Other signs are erratic system behavior.

You might first clean it out well with compressed air. Especially the CPU cooler. Cans of this are available at most computer and office supply stores. You could add a slot fan to keep your temperatures down. These install in a PCI slot and cost around ten dollars(US). They are easy to install.

To reduce the noise, wrap each of the fans in your system with 10 or so #64 rubber bands. This works, is very low cost and is safe. They work best after they've warmed up. When I say wrap. I mean around the outside of the fan housings not over the top and bottom of the fan blades. If you can't figure this out then you should not be inside your computer. (grin)

You can replace your fans with quieter ones from suppliers over the net. Select fans with the lowest decibel levels. Decibels are a measure of sound.
Still having problems replace the CPU cooler with a more efficient model. Choices are available from this site:

ttp://www.dansdata.com/coolercomp.htm

This is not my site.

Collapse -
Exactly what Alienware PC Model # do you have now ??

Might help if you knew about the HS Fan currently on the PC...might just be able to replace the FAN.

VAPCMD

Collapse -
Alienware Model #

In reply to: Exactly what Alienware PC Model # do you have now ??

Well I looked around and couldn't find anything that said "model number" outright. There was a number on a sticker on the back:
PC-287570A

Not sure if that helps.

Processor specifics are: Intel Pentium 4 560 3.6 1MB L2 Cache 800Mhz LGA775

Motherboard specifics: Intel D925XCV 925X

I looked at the fan and it appears to be the stock intel fan that came with the processor. The machine has never been the quietest thing in the world but again as I said the noise lately has been very worrysome. I had the system running while I pulled a panel off and checked it out and ran a few games. While it wasn't as loud with one of the panels off (naturally), it was the most noticable of all the fans in there.

Another thing I noticed was that my 8800 gts runs from the mid 60's to the low 70's C while running a game (usually around 65C). I was wondering if maybe speedfan was showing that temp instead of my processor. That doesn't change the fact that my processor fan is unnervingly loud but I was just thinking that maybe I wasn't getting a correct reading for my processor temp. Then again I could have no idea what I'm talking about. I know enough to switch video cards, add ram, add dvd drives and replace a case fan or two but I have 0 - little experience with processors and HS fans. Other than that I haven't had any actual performance problems. It runs almost all my games great (except for games like supcom which make my single core cry and any other games that would benefit from a dual core, but even those games it runs fine). Anyway sorry for my rambling. I really appreciate the attention given my problem

hobbiets

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.