Cameras forum

General discussion

Affordable SLR Digital Camera!

by 2uniek / September 8, 2006 6:11 AM PDT

Hello the names Rab.

Well I have been taking photos of urban areas/structures for a few months now with a premier ds-5080. Its a major problem and does not really do the job. I'm quite new at taking photos but its becoming a hobbie fast.

I was looking on ebay to get a new SLR Digital Camera for a starter (me) and found myself lost in trying to find a good cam that will work well for the type of photos I take keep in mind i plan to take photos of landscapes like beaches along with my urban areas/structures.

I really need help finding a affordable camera which can take quality photos for a Amateur (me) trying to learn. I dont have alot to spend but I am willing to buy a used camera but what im asking is for a brand/model name.

Willing to spend (between 100-200)

Thank you

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Affordable SLR Digital Camera!
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Affordable SLR Digital Camera!
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
I would look for a Canon 10D, 20D, or an older Rebel.
by Kiddpeat / September 8, 2006 6:31 AM PDT

You might find a decent price on them, especially the 10D or a Rebel. The 20D is still new enough that it is unlikely to go that low. There are probably older Nikons also, but I'm not a Nikon person.

Never buy a new camera on eBay. You will always pay more than it's worth.

Collapse -
oh thanks
by 2uniek / September 8, 2006 6:38 AM PDT

Thank you for the advise it will look about and hope. I'm willing to go higher as im not really sure how realistic my budget was.

Thank you again.

Collapse -
Oh and I forgot to add
by 2uniek / September 8, 2006 6:32 AM PDT
Collapse -
(NT) (NT) It's not an SLR.
by Kiddpeat / September 8, 2006 6:50 AM PDT
In reply to: Oh and I forgot to add
Collapse -
Oops!
by 2uniek / September 8, 2006 6:57 AM PDT
In reply to: (NT) It's not an SLR.

Oh yea listed as...

Had a look at reviews and photos and seen that. Nevermind the help I got in 1st post was great.

cheers..

Collapse -
Affordable SLR Digital Camera!
by mikemay / September 8, 2006 8:03 AM PDT

I have had a Fuji S5000 for about 2 years now and it has given me excellent pics, with superb results that all my friends & family has remarked upon & have placed some of my photo's on the net @ mikemay.photosite.com which has all been taken over the last couple of years with this camera. I try to update my site every week with new photo's that I take for all to see & share from my home county in the U.K. Please feel free to view my photo's and consider this camera which has been replaced with updated models new, but I am sure are available 2nd hand at a very realistic price. Please do not hesitate to contact me @ mikemay1@btinternet.com if I may help you further.

Best Wishes

Mike May

Collapse -
Thank You!
by 2uniek / September 8, 2006 8:09 AM PDT

Oh thank you for your reply I shall keep my eyes out for that and I will take a look at the site, also thanks for the email.

Collapse -
Thanks for the great help but......
by 2uniek / September 9, 2006 9:09 AM PDT

That has failed and it seems a digital cam SLR used cant be found for around

Collapse -
Film would at least allow you to shoot your pictures with
by Kiddpeat / September 9, 2006 11:04 AM PDT

a high resolution. Even a new 35mm camera with a fixed 50mm lense would fit within your budget. I have a new Canon Elan 7ne that cost just over $300 for the body. A rebel would be even cheaper.

However, don't go that route thinking it will be a lot cheaper. Film has many limitations which don't exist for digital. You are committed to a single film speed for the duration of the roll. You probably can't afford to take as many pictures since each one has a real cost for buying film, developing, printing, etc. Color balance is a problem as is exposure. You can't see the shot right after it's taken. You still must obtain prints. You may need to scan if you want to work with the images digitally. Film is getting harder to get, and perhaps more expensive.

The bottom line is that photography quickly gets expensive. That's true whether it's digital or film. Both mediums have pros and cons. You'll have to figure out which makes sense to you.

Collapse -
oh what about....
by 2uniek / September 10, 2006 6:53 AM PDT

OK was thinking the same thing about film and its not great when it comes to scanning.

Could anyone suggest just a digital camera that takes realy nice shots but also has a nice zoom and you can change the focus to your needs.

Again this is the type of photos I have took in the past:

http://2uniek.deviantart.com/

with a Premier DS-5080 [5.0mp]its just not a good camera at all i wouldnt even call it a zoom what it has also takes ugly shots at night.

Thank you.

Collapse -
Thinking
by snapshot2 Forum moderator / September 10, 2006 11:41 AM PDT
In reply to: oh what about....

Your photography leans toward the artistic view of things. You need a camera that will let you take control and break a few rules of photography.

I suggest you take a look at an intermediate camera, which can work in automatic mode and also manual mode. Something that will fit your budget but still provide flexibility.

Take a look at the Canon A530.
In addition to being an excellent automatic camera,
it can be operated in full manual mode if you like.
Including manual focus.

Here in the USA, it can be found for around $200 new.
(5 megapixel, 4X optical zoom)

Here is a link to the specifications:

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/specs/Canon/canon_a530.asp

For night shots, I suggest you use a tripod, as slow shutter speeds are necessary. You can get some special night shots if you shoot in full manual mode.

Collapse -
sounds good
by 2uniek / September 10, 2006 12:13 PM PDT
In reply to: Thinking

That is very very helpful thank you just the kind of reply I needed. Maybe in the future I will invest my money into a expensive cam but as i'm new and taking "snaps" I think this is the right place to start.

Thank you Cnet members/moderators again for all the reply.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?