Cameras forum

Question

Affordable Nikon D80 Wide Angle Lense

by maxpowers_37 / December 2, 2014 1:52 AM PST

I have a Nikon D80 DSLR and don't know much about photography, but want to learn. One problem I've had with the camera is trying to take close up shots. For example, my parents have some small flowers that I'd like to take a picture of and even when I put the camera in flower mode it won't take a picture unless I back away from it.

What would be an affordable lens that would do a good job at taking close up shots? Anything I should be wary of?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Affordable Nikon D80 Wide Angle Lense
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Affordable Nikon D80 Wide Angle Lense
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Clarification Request
What lens are you using and how close are you getting
by Steven Haninger / December 2, 2014 5:21 AM PST

to the flowers? A wide angle lens isn't meant for close shots but for increasing the coverage area. They'll make everything appear smaller as well. You'll want a macro lens designed to move in very close but these will also have a smaller aperture. I do suspect that one thing you're seeing is the effects of a short depth of field. When you move in very close and open up the lens, you might have only a fraction of an inch of depth that's within focus. To use a normal lens at it's closest focusing point, you'll need to use a smaller aperture (larger F-stop number) and increase the light intensity. This will add depth of field but may also cause other aberrations. Work with it and learn. I grew up with film so mistakes cost money. Good luck.

Collapse -
Agree.
by Dafydd Forum moderator / December 2, 2014 5:39 AM PST

But I'd also use a mini tripod to eliminate camera shake.
Dafydd.

Collapse -
(NT) And stop breathing for a bit too
by Steven Haninger / December 2, 2014 7:53 PM PST
In reply to: Agree.
Collapse -
Nikon D80
by slillo / December 5, 2014 6:58 AM PST

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Try the MACRO settings on the camera.
by Dafydd Forum moderator / December 2, 2014 2:03 AM PST

Dafydd.

Collapse -
Answer
Link, manual seems to note
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 2, 2014 2:07 AM PST
Collapse -
Yes, but images are blury
by maxpowers_37 / December 2, 2014 4:46 AM PST

I'm able to take pictures closer with manually adjusting the ring, but the pictures all turn out blury when I'm that close to a flower

Collapse -
That's either
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 2, 2014 5:18 AM PST
Collapse -
Answer
Nikon D80
by snapshot2 Forum moderator / December 2, 2014 6:14 AM PST
Collapse -
What would be a good macro lens?
by maxpowers_37 / December 2, 2014 6:30 AM PST
In reply to: Nikon D80

I know I'd like to get one, but I'm confused by the huge range of prices. What would be a good one that would be affordable? I can't spend $800 on a new lens. Is there something in the $50 range that would work?

Collapse -
Close up for $50
by snapshot2 Forum moderator / December 2, 2014 11:50 PM PST

Here is a look at all close-up lenses available for your camera (several pages):

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/search?Ntt=nikon+d80+macro+lenses&gclid=CKbqofWXqsICFS6ZMgodTkkA4A&InitialSearch=yes&N=0

For $50 you will find a screw-on close-up lens. (looks like a screw-on filter lens)
Get one that fits your lens thread.

Results are not as good as a macro lens but it is affordable.

I suggest you visit a camera store.
Not a department store - visit a "camera store".
Take your camera with you and try out a close-up lens.

While you are there, try out a macro lens.
They may have a used lens at a good price.

Collapse -
Answer
Micro Lense
by mriollchwen / December 4, 2014 1:48 PM PST

I think you have to purchase nikon micro lense for your camaera. you shoot the close up picture with that.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?