Computer Newbies forum

General discussion

adware, spyware and viral infection

by tcharon / June 12, 2005 3:16 AM PDT

I have a Dell Dimension 4700C.The operating system is Microsoft Windows XP Professional. I have the Norton Internet Security 2005 AntiSpyware Edition and a Microsoft Firewall.Would you illustrate the dynamics of a computer viral infection process. Obviously, I'm a layman but I think that if I know what I'm looking for, I can protect my computer. Specifically, David T, responding to Gretchen G's concerns about using "KAAZA", cautions:
'Be careful of what you download and think if it seems reasonable: there are few software programs out there under 100 kilobytes, but plenty of viruses and worms fit the category.'
That seems to suggest that the typical virus will stand out because of its small size. Am I close?
Another caution states:
'Scan all files you download immediately.'
I always thought the viruses got in as part of the downloading process. If that's the case then isn't your scan too late?
Please advise.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: adware, spyware and viral infection
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: adware, spyware and viral infection
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Tcharon, It Depends...
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / June 12, 2005 4:25 AM PDT

In general, an infection from either a virus or spyware must be "executed" in some form..That can be done in a number of different methods. Peer-to-Peer (P2P) file sharing networks, such as KaZaa, Morpheus, etc. allow the user to share files with the "world" and as such, it becomes a risky proposition. A file downloaded from such a network, generally, must be opened in order to "execute". A "good" antivirus program should detect the embedded malware DURING the download process but it's not a guarantee. Unfortunately, compressed files, such as .zip and .rar files can frequently mask the malware that they contain. Therefore, scanning with your onboard antivirus is always a good idea. Even safer...DON'T USE P2P file sharing programs..

Another avenue of infection...., various "bad" websites may contain ActiveX controls and "scripting" exploits that will immediately "execute" and install malware immediately upon visiting the site. Browser vulnerabilities cause this to happen so it's best to "harden" your browser by securing it's settings or use a browser that is more secure to start with. In this case, your antivirus and spyware "background" scanners will need to be operational to detect the incoming malware.

Another method of infection is through e-mail. Antivirus background scanners need to be functioning correctly to detect this type of potential infection. Leaving the "Preview Pane" enabled in Outlook and Outlook Express can automatically "execute" attachments contained in the message and immediately infect the machine. TURN OFF the "Preview Pane" to stop this type of automatic execution. It's a good idea to scan ALL incoming attachments to verify that they're safe...and DELETE all message from unknown senders.

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
Thanks, Grif
by tcharon / June 12, 2005 6:13 AM PDT
In reply to: Tcharon, It Depends...

Thanks for the advice, Grif.
This forum looks like a real winner.

Tcharon

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Tcharon, Glad It Helped!
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / June 12, 2005 6:23 AM PDT
In reply to: Thanks, Grif
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Does BMW or Volvo do it best?

Pint-size luxury and funky style

Shopping for a new car this weekend? See how the BMW X2 stacks up against the Volvo XC40 in our side-by-side comparison.