Spyware, Viruses, & Security forum

General discussion

adware problem - ran all programs could think off, what now?

So for the past couple months, my dell computer running on windows XP was infected with adware programs like zedo and so on. majority i was able to clean out with hijack logs, adaware se, spybot search& destroy, etc

but there is one that i'mnot sure how to remove. it pops up full screen ads randomly at different times. they do not pop up though if IE explorer isn't open. if i leave an IE window open for some time, then 25 of these will pop over say an hour or so. some of them spybot is able to block the content (but not from popping up!) most of them not though. it's annoying and im not sure where to attack the problem.

if anyone could help me or point me in the right direction that would be wonderful.
thanks in advance!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: adware problem - ran all programs could think off, what now?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: adware problem - ran all programs could think off, what now?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Just checking.

In reply to: adware problem - ran all programs could think off, what now?

Since you have hijackthis, are there ANY "BHO"s in there?

Collapse -
7 bhos

In reply to: Just checking.

yea i have about 7
O2 - BHO: (no name) - {0234E816-CB1B-4A94-A983-76039EFFB6DB} - C:\WINDOWS\system32\awtqq.dll (file missing)
O2 - BHO: Adobe PDF Reader Link Helper - {06849E9F-C8D7-4D59-B87D-784B7D6BE0B3} - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\Acrobat\ActiveX\AcroIEHelper.dll
O2 - BHO: (no name) - {3FECA576-7AD2-4E11-A6AD-6B59D4FB5DB9} - C:\WINDOWS\system32\qomljgd.dll (file missing)
O2 - BHO: Spybot-S&D IE Protection - {53707962-6F74-2D53-2644-206D7942484F} - C:\PROGRA~1\SPYBOT~1\SDHelper.dll
O2 - BHO: (no name) - {549B5CA7-4A86-11D7-A4DF-000874180BB3} - (no file)
O2 - BHO: (no name) - {7E853D72-626A-48EC-A868-BA8D5E23E045} - (no file)
O2 - BHO: Google Toolbar Helper - {AA58ED58-01DD-4d91-8333-CF10577473F7} - c:\program files\google\googletoolbar4.dll
O2 - BHO: Adobe PDF Conversion Toolbar Helper - {AE7CD045-E861-484f-8273-0445EE161910} - C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 7.0\Acrobat\AcroIEFavClient.dll
O2 - BHO: (no name) - {FDD3B846-8D59-4ffb-8758-209B6AD74ACC} - (no file)

Collapse -
That's very odd.

In reply to: 7 bhos

All the HJT forums I know will have you remove the "(file missing)" items. Can you share the HJT forum and link so I can see their advice?

My advice is simple. No BHO you don't know and stop using IE unless you have to.
Bob

Collapse -
didn't work

In reply to: That's very odd.

so i deleted two of them which were malware..

O2 - BHO: (no name) - {3FECA576-7AD2-4E11-A6AD-6B59D4FB5DB9} - C:\WINDOWS\system32\qomljgd.dll (file missing)

O2 - BHO: (no name) - {549B5CA7-4A86-11D7-A4DF-000874180BB3} - (no file)

but it still didn't help and everything up that was BHO was supposedly legitimate... i really am not sure how to get at the source...

Collapse -
I have one question.

In reply to: didn't work

What HJT forum did your analysis?

Collapse -
I Have a Natural Distrust of "Toolbars"....

In reply to: 7 bhos

& won't have on my machines period. I would suspect Adobe...."Favorite client" .dll.What does one have to do to get favclient status...allow random ad viewings?? Just a thought.

You said have had problem for a long time. Have you dumped your restore points to be sure nothing is hiding in there?? Same for temp* files??
Just guesses. Emptying these couldn't hurt. Good Luck! Happy

Collapse -
Yes, I Agree w/ ASA &/or Malwarebytes Runs....

In reply to: adware problem - ran all programs could think off, what now?

Collapse -
thanks everyone

In reply to: Yes, I Agree w/ ASA &/or Malwarebytes Runs....

okay so for the person who asked for where i got my HJT log help - ifyou click analyze this button on the program it will take you to their site and recommend you other sites that help you learn about the logs and you can enter the file names/numbers to see if they are harmful or not. its not 100% effective because some files the sites dont have in their database so you kind of dont know what to do wtih them. i think the site i used was castle cops?

second - i did'nt wantt to delete the adobe fav client because besides being listed as a legit BHO, i often use ADOBE acrobat and pdf reader so i didn't want to mess that program up.

cleaning out the cookies and temporary files doesn't do much besides just clean out your computer. the popups were still there.

thank you for suggesting the malware and super anti spyware program because it really worked. so far i have run the super anti spyare i dont get any more pop ups. at times spybot search&destroy will pop up whether to block or allow but this time when you click block, it actually prevents the window from popping up. i'll run the malware next when i get a chance.

thank you everyone for their help and suggestions it was very much appreciated!!! i can finally go on IE without having a hundred annoying popups. thanks!

Collapse -
Something to consider before "closing the case"..

In reply to: thanks everyone

nsfaery..

You wrote, "if you click analyze this button on the program it will take you to their site and recommend you other sites that help you learn about the logs and you can enter the file names/numbers to see if they are harmful or not. its not 100% effective because some files the sites dont have in their database so you kind of dont know what to do wtih them. i think the site i used was castle cops?"

In your prior post, titled "didn't work", you said "so i deleted two of them which were malware". There were more than those two items which needed deleting. One for sure, which IS presently in their database. While the two programs you used are excellent, they may not have dealt with all entries which needed attending to. The reason it's recommended you post a log at one of the sites, which analyzes them, is because they do know which one's to delete. They also have additional tools at their disposal.

It's up to you what you choose to do, but from "where I sit", it looks as though posting a log would be in your best interest. Why not post a new log at one of the suggested forums? What do you have to lose? I'm not looking to push the point. Only to help.

Whatever your decision ... the best of luck to you..
Carol

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.